1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
solotee

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby solotee » Thu May 19, 2011 12:38 am

blurbz wrote:I've waited to post about exams because I'm not too happy with them. Each one had a significant multiple choice section and those are just really, really hard to gauge.

I was in the top 5% last semester, I suspect my grades this semester will drop me to ~20-25%.

In conclusion: I hate multiple choice.

Damn dude. Save a spot for me...I did some calculations, and will most likely be in your position as well. (waiting on an exam with 1/3 of the grade based on MC)

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Thu May 19, 2011 12:41 am

solotee wrote:
blurbz wrote:I've waited to post about exams because I'm not too happy with them. Each one had a significant multiple choice section and those are just really, really hard to gauge.

I was in the top 5% last semester, I suspect my grades this semester will drop me to ~20-25%.

In conclusion: I hate multiple choice.

Damn dude. Save a spot for me...I did some calculations, and will most likely be in your position as well. (waiting on an exam with 1/3 of the grade based on MC)

Yeah, MC is terrible. One of mine is worth 1/3, one was worth 1/2 and one was, I shit you not, worth 2/3 of the final grade. Absolutely terrible and absolutely impossible to assess how you did. I'm just hoping to get lucky. When we find out, we can drown our memories of MC in whiskey (I've started already, but I'm sure you can catch up!). Congrats on your Conlaw grade, though--must be a relief!

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu May 19, 2011 12:45 am

I hate MC as well. Last semester, one exam had MC. Got below median on MC but blew away the essay so still got an A. But by one single point. So MC came thiiiiis close to screwing me over. And this semester, one exam was 1/2 MC. I dread the results from that because I know the material damn well and I know I couldn't justify multiple answers. But without any ability to explain, it just sucks.

jkay

Postby jkay » Thu May 19, 2011 12:46 am

I had a final this semester that was 100% MC. Three credits...all on like 60 really shit questions.

For written exams, I drink one Red Bull per hour and piss about the same rate.

Notor

Postby Notor » Thu May 19, 2011 12:49 am

Anyone else not care at this point? After experiencing the useless insanity that is American Legal education for 9 months, I don't see how I could.

TTH

Postby TTH » Thu May 19, 2011 1:20 am

Notor wrote:Anyone else not care at this point? After experiencing the useless insanity that is American Legal education for 9 months, I don't see how I could.

It's a fine mixture between apathy and pure terror. Just looked at Symplicity and saw A) how few firms are coming to OCI and B) the grade cut-offs.

Half of me wants to drop out. Half of me feels like I need to get my shit together.

ETA: All of me now passionately hates the blind.

Rose Tyler

Postby Rose Tyler » Thu May 19, 2011 1:31 am

Notor wrote:Anyone else not care at this point? After experiencing the useless insanity that is American Legal education for 9 months, I don't see how I could.

I try to tell myself that I don't care, but then I get hit with an overwhelming sense of fear and dread that when I see my grades I'll want to /self that I have a hard time lying that I don't care. I'm just glad our grades come out all at once, because I'd drive myself crazy watching them slowly trickle in.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Thu May 19, 2011 1:38 am

I'm heavily invested in the outcome of my grades. Most of all because I'm aiming to transfer. But it is mixed with a general sense of apathy. I'm tired of the rat race. And I have the sense that it is only the same going forward.

It is what it is. I love the law but the structure of legal education is exhausting.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Thu May 19, 2011 9:03 am

I was definitely feeling this during finals, I just reached the point where I just felt that working any harder just wasn't worth it. Grades aren't completely arbitrary, but they are volatile enough to make killing yourself during finals a questionable proposition.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu May 19, 2011 9:43 am

missinglink wrote:

I'm heavily invested in the outcome of my grades. Most of all because I'm aiming to transfer. But it is mixed with a general sense of apathy. I'm tired of the rat race. And I have the sense that it is only the same going forward.

It is what it is. I love the law but the structure of legal education is exhausting.

+1

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Thu May 19, 2011 11:14 am

A- in legal writing. FML lol. I didn't even know it was possible to get anything other than an A in that damn class.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu May 19, 2011 11:20 am

WTF.

W.

T.

F.

I had a fucking grades dream? When did I become a complete douche?

Don't answer that.

lawloser22

Postby lawloser22 » Thu May 19, 2011 11:23 am

Last edited by lawloser22 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

solotee

Postby solotee » Thu May 19, 2011 12:09 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:A- in legal writing. FML lol. I didn't even know it was possible to get anything other than an A in that damn class.

I have you beat...B+

After crunching some #'s, I need 1 A and 1 A- to stay in the top 10%. Anything less than that means I won't make it...lol

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu May 19, 2011 1:07 pm

bjsesq wrote:WTF.

W.

T.

F.

I had a fucking grades dream? When did I become a complete douche?

Don't answer that.

:lol:

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Thu May 19, 2011 1:13 pm

solotee wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:A- in legal writing. FML lol. I didn't even know it was possible to get anything other than an A in that damn class.

I have you beat...B+

After crunching some #'s, I need 1 A and 1 A- to stay in the top 10%. Anything less than that means I won't make it...lol

I've been doing similar math all day. There's no way I stay top 10%. I'll be happy to be top third at this point.

I alternate between wanting to slap myself for fucking up 2nd semester and wanting to slap myself for being a doucher who's barely happy with top third.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu May 19, 2011 1:18 pm

BeenDidThat wrote:
solotee wrote:

I have you beat...B+

I've been doing similar math all day. There's no way I stay top 10%. I'll be happy to be top third at this point.

I alternate between wanting to slap myself for fucking up 2nd semester and wanting to slap myself for being a doucher who's barely happy with top third.

I'm squarely in the top 25% after 1st semester, and I'm not even close to happy with it. We're elitist, it's better than being a lot of other things.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Thu May 19, 2011 1:25 pm

BeenDidThat wrote:

That's where I am right now, too. I keep telling myself that when I started in the fall my goal was to finish the year in the top third...

After first semester, though, my expectations changed pretty drastically and it's hard to get that original perspective back.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Thu May 19, 2011 7:42 pm

beach_terror wrote:
BeenDidThat wrote:

I'm squarely in the top 25% after 1st semester, and I'm not even close to happy with it. We're elitist, it's better than being a lot of other things.

You mean like below median? Cause yeah, I'd like to actually be above median this time around. :|

But honestly, I don't really give a fuck anymore.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu May 19, 2011 7:53 pm

blurbz wrote:
BeenDidThat wrote:

That's where I am right now, too. I keep telling myself that when I started in the fall my goal was to finish the year in the top third...

After first semester, though, my expectations changed pretty drastically and it's hard to get that original perspective back.
Agreed. It's like a disease... the phrase "I'd give it all up for just a little bit more" comes to mind :?

liLtuneChi

Postby liLtuneChi » Thu May 19, 2011 8:31 pm

first grade back.....A

overall GPA = top 10% (as of now)

now I'm waiting on the last 3 grades

if I can get two A's and a A- then I'll be a Kent Scholar

it'll be close but I think I have a good chance

ac1987

Postby ac1987 » Thu May 19, 2011 11:41 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
BeenDidThat wrote:

You mean like below median? Cause yeah, I'd like to actually be above median this time around. :|

But honestly, I don't really give a fuck anymore.

Oh thank god I'm not the only one. Everyone's complaining about getting an A- in Legal Writing and I would seriously kill just to see an A- anywhere on my transcript.

But yeah, I'm screwed.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Fri May 20, 2011 12:08 am

ac1987 wrote:Oh thank god I'm not the only one. Everyone's complaining about getting an A- in Legal Writing and I would seriously kill just to see an A- anywhere on my transcript.

But yeah, I'm screwed.

High five for being mediocre! :mrgreen:
--ImageRemoved--

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri May 20, 2011 12:15 am

NancyBotwin wrote:
ac1987 wrote:Oh thank god I'm not the only one. Everyone's complaining about getting an A- in Legal Writing and I would seriously kill just to see an A- anywhere on my transcript.

But yeah, I'm screwed.

High five for being mediocre! :mrgreen:

This. I'm struggling to stay out of the B- range in LRW. Thank God I had a good grade in that class first semester.

LawWeb

Postby LawWeb » Fri May 20, 2011 12:20 am

liLtuneChi wrote:first grade back.....A

overall GPA = top 10% (as of now)

now I'm waiting on the last 3 grades

if I can get two A's and a A- then I'll be a Kent Scholar

it'll be close but I think I have a good chance

What range of GPA is top 10% ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”