1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
weee

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby weee » Sun May 15, 2011 2:37 pm

It has been almost two weeks since I had a 40 question, scantron only multiple choice exam, I can't imagine it isn't graded yet... but alas, they won't give us grades until after the grading deadline. I had one dream about grades, I got a G+ in Civ Pro (I'm assuming that's the grade just below F-).

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun May 15, 2011 2:44 pm

I've been back in grade depression mode since Thursday. I'd like to say I wouldn't feel this way if I went to a T14, but I've also learned from this year that I'm extremely competitive, so that's probably a lie :lol:.

Also, weee, that's probably my Conlawl grade.

Triangles

Postby Triangles » Mon May 16, 2011 12:15 am

Official end of 1L predictions:

Writing- B, same as last semester
Contracts II, B+, I got an A- in Contracts I and though this exam was harder
Con Law- B+, thought it went well, but I didn't name any cases
Crim Law- B-, this is being generous, I only wrote about 1k words per hour and then ran out of time
Torts, A+ or a B-, nothing in-between. It was open book and I think I did well, but I used a lot of outside information he never discussed in class for one of the questions, either he will think its the best fucking answer ever, or get pissed at me.

If these numbers are right, I'll be way below median (unless I got that A+) and lose my scholarship, so here is to hoping I am delusional.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon May 16, 2011 12:41 am

keg411 wrote:I've been back in grade depression mode since Thursday. I'd like to say I wouldn't feel this way if I went to a T14, but I've also learned from this year that I'm extremely competitive, so that's probably a lie :lol:.

Also, weee, that's probably my Conlawl grade.

I don't really consider myself "competitive" with regard to grades, but I'm at a T14 and I definitely still stress about them.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon May 16, 2011 12:54 am

Okay, now for beach_terror's pessimistic grade predictions

Con Law: B+ - if splitting my analysis turned out to be "wrong", it's possible I screwed myself (however, I'm like 80% sure the right to vote can be analyzed under due process OR equal protection; the question called for EP, and there's no way DP wasn't on a conlaw1 exam, but who knows)

Contracts: B+ - my damages answer was kind of jumbled and I wasn't confident with it at all, I was happy with my other two answers though

Elective: A- - there's no way I can get below an A- in this class, unless my final paper was a B+ or some shit, but it's not, because I fucking murdered that paper into next year - if it was possible to get a book award for this class, I think I would be a top contender for it

Property: B+ - simple questions and we didn't do anything hard to begin with, the curve might be tighter than getting in it Nicki Minaj's assho....

LRW: B+ - did solid at oral argument and made good arguments on my brief, but I had a few typos - so I could get wtfpwned

Assuming I end up somewhere between confident chest pounding beach and super scared/pessimistic beach, I'll be somewhere between the top 22% (where I'm at now give or take a %) and top 10% all said.

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Mon May 16, 2011 1:01 am

My grade predictions keep dropping a half grade everyday since exams....ugh.

goosey

Postby goosey » Mon May 16, 2011 11:23 am

beach_terror wrote:Great, the feared daydreams return. I'll be doing something normal and then all of a sudden I'll just picture checking my grades and seeing straight Bs. Sweet depression, how I've missed you.

I have anxiety dreams about finals......and finals are over.

The last one was where my property final was in 2 hours and I wasnt even done with my outline yet.

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Mon May 16, 2011 2:10 pm

Just informed that grades will not be out till June 11! Full two months after finals. Upside is there no stress of anticipation till then!

mths

Postby mths » Mon May 16, 2011 4:54 pm

starchinkilt wrote:My grade predictions keep dropping a half grade everyday since exams....ugh.

I totally know how you feel

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Mon May 16, 2011 5:01 pm

I finally talked to a few of my profs today about possibly transferring, so now I totally feel like I jinxed myself and that my grades will suck :|

Transpher

Postby Transpher » Mon May 16, 2011 5:10 pm

forty-two wrote:I finally talked to a few of my profs today about possibly transferring, so now I totally feel like I jinxed myself and that my grades will suck :|

I have to do that tomm to ask for recs and I feel the same way. I almost feel dumb for asking without a final 1L GPA, esp when it could potentially be tanking as I type this. But I'm forced to count my chicks before they hatch.

can someone bring up that fact that those who are in the top tend to stay at the top? I need reassurance.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Mon May 16, 2011 5:16 pm

Big problem with getting recs. I had 3 profs first semester, 2 of whom I was very close with. One agreed to write me a rec, and that is enough for most schools. But my top choice transfer school requires 2. The other professor has a blanket policy against letters of rec for personal reasons that have nothing to do with me. So I tried getting in touch with the 3rd prof. Didn't do great in his class, but I figured he would still do it. Problem is, I can't get in touch with him. He doesn't answer his emails. The profs from this semester, I pretty much never talked to any of them, so without grades, I'm a complete stranger in every way to them. Top choice school said no exceptions. They won't take my sparkling undergrad prof's letter from last year when I applied for the first time. Can't believe I miss out on the chance to apply to top choice school because my closest prof doesn't write recs.

The other schools don't sound enthused, but are willing to accept one law prof and one undergrad one. But they made it sound like it will work against me. So my dream school is now out of the picture, and the ones I can still apply to assured me that the road just got bumpier for me. Wonderful.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon May 16, 2011 5:21 pm

forty-two wrote:I finally talked to a few of my profs today about possibly transferring, so now I totally feel like I jinxed myself and that my grades will suck :|

I think I have you beat in that I sent two applications. My GPA is going to be shit this semester.

And to the poster above: wait for your second semester grades. Doesn't matter if you were close to the profs or not; if you get A's, ask.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon May 16, 2011 5:35 pm

Transpher wrote:can someone bring up that fact that those who are in the top tend to stay at the top? I need reassurance.

I doubt you'll end up below median, but you wont just happen across As if you put in less effort or something. You'll be fine.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon May 16, 2011 11:07 pm

mths wrote:
starchinkilt wrote:My grade predictions keep dropping a half grade everyday since exams....ugh.

I totally know how you feel

At this point, I'm basically wondering if negative GPAs are a possibility.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue May 17, 2011 6:01 pm

When finals were done about 2 weeks ago I said I didn't even care about looking at my grades. The feeling of wanting them, as in RIGHT NOW, has slowly come back. Even if they are GPA killers.

FireNextTime

Postby FireNextTime » Tue May 17, 2011 7:33 pm

WOOOOO!

First grade in: Con Law: A

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue May 17, 2011 7:34 pm

FireNextTime wrote:WOOOOO!

Jealous you're already getting grades, I bet you're all like
--ImageRemoved--

FireNextTime

Postby FireNextTime » Tue May 17, 2011 7:38 pm

beach_terror wrote:

Jealous you're already getting grades, I bet you're all like
--ImageRemoved--

Yeah. Was gonna finish my write-on. But I'm terribly afraid a good drunk-on is about to get in the way instead.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue May 17, 2011 7:45 pm

FireNextTime wrote:Yeah. Was gonna finish my write-on. But I'm terribly afraid a good drunk-on is about to get in the way instead.

Bro, an A is always a reason to get drunk as fuck. If you don't have a few beers, you're getting all B-s in the other classes 8)

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue May 17, 2011 8:03 pm

Last night I had my inevitable "I got C+'s and B-'s" dream. I'm dreading my constitutional law grade so much that it makes me feel like con law somehow brings down my other grades. Its like Freddy Kruger. I'm afraid to go to sleep for fear that it will attack me.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue May 17, 2011 8:56 pm

Do not want.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue May 17, 2011 9:14 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:Do not want.

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Wed May 18, 2011 12:28 am

Passed one of my prof's offices today and it looked like she was intensely grading exams (she's visiting so I'm sure she's trying to get them done fast so she can gtfo). Really wanted to tell her to take her time and that even if she was close to being done, there is no reason to hurry and submit grades.

Transpher

Postby Transpher » Wed May 18, 2011 12:35 am

Congrats, man, that's awesome.

The question is, were you expecting it??

Not that you shouldn't have, but I'm looking for lots of "thought I failed but ended up crushing it" stories.

:oops:

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”