1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
goosey

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby goosey » Mon May 09, 2011 8:24 pm

Zazelmaf wrote:Civ Pro: Booked it. Maybe the best the professor has seen in his career. (got a C+ on midterm, so he will be surprised if he finds out it was me!)
Contracts: B+/A- (midterm was 95, tied for second in the class)
Property: -1, yes NEGATIVE 1. Midterm was 96. (tied for third in the class)
Constitutional Law: Coming soon!

LRW: Does it even count? B/B+ or F. Or A-. Or C+/C. Maybe a D+.

wow..super confident.

when i finished my 8 hr take home last semester, i felt fairly confident about the first half and thought as time went on my work quality deterioration...felt the same exact way after I finished this semester's 8 hr take home [con law]---was surprised by my B+ in crim last semester and have a feeling i did the same on con law

felt AWESOME walking out of civ pro last semester [2nd exam] and felt awesome walking out of K's this semester [also 2nd exam]--got an A- in civ pro and hope to god i got an A- in K's.

seems to be going pretty parallel. just hope property does not go like torts [b-]

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon May 09, 2011 9:48 pm

Zazelmaf wrote:Civ Pro: Booked it. Maybe the best the professor has seen in his career. (got a C+ on midterm, so he will be surprised if he finds out it was me!)

cmon now, if you are going to predict your grades, you gotta play by the rules. either you predict you will fail miserably, or you sprinkle in an A/A- within a sea of B/B+'s. definitely not "best the professor has seen in his career."

quiver

Postby quiver » Mon May 09, 2011 10:30 pm

Zazelmaf wrote:Maybe the best the professor has seen in his career.
ballsy. I'm a fan

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Tue May 10, 2011 7:23 am

I bet you have a vanity license plate

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue May 10, 2011 10:19 am

just got legal writing grade in. considering i told myself in the middle of this semester that i would just settle for median in this class, im pretty happy with the result.

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Tue May 10, 2011 10:19 am

GATORTIM wrote:

I bet you have a vanity license plate

http://g35driver.com/forums/attachments/g-spot/86404d1207184255-vanity-plates-whats-yours-plate.jpg

nymario

Postby nymario » Tue May 10, 2011 3:50 pm

Crim A/A- : nailed a tough exam pattern when everyone was struggling for time
Torts B+/A- : Easy fact pattern, way too much time -- will be hard to stand out
Contracts A-/A : Confident on the legal analysis and this professor is very much into style, and I think I pulled some off that off too. The legal issues weren't so complicated, but I felt strong on those as well. Maybe a little to much rambling for the A.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue May 10, 2011 4:30 pm

3.8, no grades, just GPA.

Swag.

Gamecubesupreme

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Tue May 10, 2011 4:35 pm

Crim Pro - B (missed too many giant issues, but caught a few tricky ones)
Civ Pro - B+ (I did okay and I am probably riding the curve on this one)
Property - B- (final was too easy, I will not survive the curve)
Con Law - C+ (I am being generous here. Only wrote four pages double spaced in 3 hours because I have no idea what to say)

mythosopher

Postby mythosopher » Wed May 11, 2011 5:16 pm

Ouch. Got a B (3.0) in legal writing. I was hoping for something better than that. :? :cry: poop. Maybe I should just get comfortable with the fact that I am not going to be even a B+ student in law school...

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed May 11, 2011 6:12 pm

Since I'm bored, I'll actually try to predict my grades. Did my best to remedy past exam problems (mainly typing too much and not thinking enough)

LRW: A-/B+ - I made really strong and creative arguments, but I had a few typos (ugh)
Contracts: A- - this was a crazy exam, I wrote a lot and tried to stay on point, banking on my use of counter-arguments to get me into the A range
Elective philosophy class: A - got an A on the first paper, and my second paper was 10x better, one of the few papers in law school i was proud to hand in as well
Con Law: A-/B+ - creativity isn't my strong point under time constraints, but my attack outlines were on point and I think a lot of people failed to even mention fundamental rights for the 2nd question (I would have too, if I didn't see the right to vote in Chem as a fundamental right), so lol
Property: A/A- - straightforward test, he's going to have to throw out one of the questions because he made a huge fail typo on the question, the curve is going to be tight so we'll see

mythosopher

Postby mythosopher » Wed May 11, 2011 6:33 pm

beach_terror wrote:he's going to have to throw out one of the questions because he made a huge fail typo on the question, the curve is going to be tight so we'll see

I don't understand how a typo could void a test question...?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed May 11, 2011 6:39 pm

mythosopher wrote:
beach_terror wrote:he's going to have to throw out one of the questions because he made a huge fail typo on the question, the curve is going to be tight so we'll see

I don't understand how a typo could void a test question...?

It was a covenants running with the land question, and he wrote that the covenants between A and B only applied to the land A conveyed to B, but not to the entire parcel that A owned. So you can see the issue when the rest of the land was conveyed to C. Maybe a bit more than a typo, but the same idea. He has a little section on the back of his test for complaints if he fucked up a question, and 10 people I talked to all wrote about the question (including me).

I just split my analysis, saying if he meant this then it would be like this, but if not there was no issue in the question because there was clearly no intent to burden the entire parcel.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Wed May 11, 2011 9:28 pm

Some predictions, I suppose:

Elective Legislation Class: A/A-; cranked out 9000+ words in 3 hours. Feel good about this one.

Con Law: B+/A-; closed book exam - got out 11500 words in 4 hours. Missed a few issues on the last question, but it's a closed book con law exam, so I'd imagine the quality of exams overall struggled.

Property: B+/A-; another closed book. Got out more than 9000 words in 3 hours and felt like a reasonable handle on what the professor wanted. Will be slightly disappointed with anything short of an A-.

Criminal Law: Death; will update tomorrow if death doesn't take me.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Wed May 11, 2011 9:34 pm

swc65 wrote:If we are starting predictions again, I'll go ahead and post mine. This way I can look back and see if I'm right.

Crim- B+ (laptop exploded in the middle of it, but I'm going to give myself the benefit of the doubt)
Law and Econ- B+

Ill update after I take my next two tests.

Edit- ConLaw C

There goes Stone.

I'll add B- for property, it's not until tomorrow, but I know imma suck at it.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed May 11, 2011 9:39 pm

^
+1 :(

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed May 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Ty Webb wrote:Some predictions, I suppose:

Elective Legislation Class: A/A-; cranked out 9000+ words in 3 hours. Feel good about this one.

Con Law: B+/A-; closed book exam - got out 11500 words in 4 hours. Missed a few issues on the last question, but it's a closed book con law exam, so I'd imagine the quality of exams overall struggled.

Property: B+/A-; another closed book. Got out more than 9000 words in 3 hours and felt like a reasonable handle on what the professor wanted. Will be slightly disappointed with anything short of an A-.

Dear lord. I thought I typed a lot.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Wed May 11, 2011 9:40 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: wow you freaking write a lot!!! I usually only write 1000-15000 words per hour.

Edit: Just saw the other responses to his writing speed...I'm glad I'm not alone haha
Last edited by forty-two on Wed May 11, 2011 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed May 11, 2011 9:41 pm

i'll get guinness on the phone...

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Wed May 11, 2011 9:44 pm

It's my saving grace. I'm interested to see how this semester shakes out. Last semester, each exam had some kind of factor that mitigated my edge. One exam had a 1500 word cap on all questions. One had a horse-race issue spotter that I booked, but included a contract drafting portion that destroyed me. Another prof just does a "smell test" so I didn't gain as much of an edge.

All profs this semester had unlimited and used some sort of point/check mark system. Should bode well, but honestly who knows.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed May 11, 2011 9:52 pm

Ty Webb wrote:It's my saving grace. I'm interested to see how this semester shakes out. Last semester, each exam had some kind of factor that mitigated my edge. One exam had a 1500 word cap on all questions. One had a horse-race issue spotter that I booked, but included a contract drafting portion that destroyed me. Another prof just does a "smell test" so I didn't gain as much of an edge.

All profs this semester had unlimited and used some sort of point/check mark system. Should bode well, but honestly who knows.

ya i dont think there is any doubt that there is a decent correlation between words typed and the grade, so im sure you did pretty well. i seriously have no idea how you type that much tho. how many wpm do you type? did you take ANY time to plan? do you even read the question all the way through?

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Wed May 11, 2011 9:56 pm

traehekat wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:It's my saving grace. I'm interested to see how this semester shakes out. Last semester, each exam had some kind of factor that mitigated my edge. One exam had a 1500 word cap on all questions. One had a horse-race issue spotter that I booked, but included a contract drafting portion that destroyed me. Another prof just does a "smell test" so I didn't gain as much of an edge.

ya i dont think there is any doubt that there is a decent correlation between words typed and the grade, so im sure you did pretty well. i seriously have no idea how you type that much tho. how many wpm do you type? did you take ANY time to plan? do you even read the question all the way through?

I do read the question first. And I type as I look at the question later. I type around 120 words per minute, and I don't think I have the problem of fatigue as much as most people. I spent a year as an online copywriter, a job that required me to type 10,000-15,000 words per day on random, brain killing topics. I have a lot of experience just grinding through hours of typing.

I'm not a big essay planner. I kind of conceptualize the big picture in my head and construct it as I go. For policy type questions, I'll plan more. But most issue spotters don't really reward big picture organization (or so I've found). I would type more probably, except that I hate typos and can't let myself leave them in exams. It's a curse.

mythosopher

Postby mythosopher » Thu May 12, 2011 12:30 am

Ty Webb wrote:I would type more probably, except that I hate typos and can't let myself leave them in exams. It's a curse.

:!: People purposefully leave typos?! HOW? I mean, I know that's not the point of the exam, but... it just seems so wrong to let go an exam with typos without any kind of consequences.

Postby 02122015 » Thu May 12, 2011 12:49 am

Crim: B
Property: Probably a B, but there's a decent chance for a surprise B+ or even a fluke A-
Con Law: B, but I could easily have tanked my way into B- territory
Lawmaking: idk, it's on Friday and I haven't started studying yet. We'll see. I'll probably get curvepwned in that one.

LRW: Had a provisional B after fall semester. I'll probably still wind up with a B, but there's a chance I get a punitive B- based on some participation snafus (forgot to do two of the ungraded mid-semester projects this year, and the fall grade didn't factor in "participation" yet).

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Thu May 12, 2011 12:54 am

Ty Webb wrote:I'm not a big essay planner. I kind of conceptualize the big picture in my head and construct it as I go.

+1

although I never get that many words out, usually around 5-6K. My K's exam with a word limit this semester totally effed me in the A, hope my prof likes reading the most unorganized random pile of junk ever.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”