1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
pissantvache

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby pissantvache » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:59 pm

Alyssa wrote:
ShakeDemHatersOff wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:
ShakeDemHatersOff wrote:
what grade did you make?

alot of people thought his test was hard

if you're talking abt katz's contracts exam, i thought the test was hard. then again, i thought all the tests were hard.

no i was talking about kraus but then again I guess all k's exams are tough

I didn't think Kraus's exam was that hard apart from some of the multiple choice... I felt like I had exactly what I needed in my four page outline... (maybe I just lucked out with what I decided to include)

I didn't really answer the second part to either of his essay questions and still did very well.

wait wait wait wait... did professors kraus and scott give out the same contracts exam? multiple choice, two two-part essay questions? hrmmmm....

elias

Postby elias » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:06 pm

pissantvache wrote:wait wait wait wait... did professors kraus and scott give out the same contracts exam? multiple choice, two two-part essay questions? hrmmmm....

Yes. For people who did well on this, how did you study? (Or for people who did less well, what do you think you should've done differently?) Because they authored the casebook, I used no supplements, and this did not work out too well for me. I ended up missing some big picture points by focusing too much on the cases, and could have probably benefitted from certain concepts being explained in a different way.

dudders

Postby dudders » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:09 pm

finally have all my grades. now i can just send out job applications and work on my memo like there's no tomorrow.

pissantvache

Postby pissantvache » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:20 pm

elias wrote:Yes. For people who did well on this, how did you study? (Or for people who did less well, what do you think you should've done differently?) Because they authored the casebook, I used no supplements, and this did not work out too well for me. I ended up missing some big picture points by focusing too much on the cases, and could have probably benefitted from certain concepts being explained in a different way.

Elias, I PM'ed you.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:31 pm

elias wrote:
pissantvache wrote:wait wait wait wait... did professors kraus and scott give out the same contracts exam? multiple choice, two two-part essay questions? hrmmmm....

Yes. For people who did well on this, how did you study? (Or for people who did less well, what do you think you should've done differently?) Because they authored the casebook, I used no supplements, and this did not work out too well for me. I ended up missing some big picture points by focusing too much on the cases, and could have probably benefitted from certain concepts being explained in a different way.

If they wrote the case book, I would find it hard to believe that they didn't write in the big picture concepts for you as well. If you look out for the "big tensions" you will find that most books whallop you over the head with it over and over.

I couldn't imagine turning to a supplement when the professor's deepest thoughts on the subject are available, unless they are lousy professors who expect to see big picture issues that they didn't even bother to discuss in their own book.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:28 pm

Finally!!!!!! all grades posted!!!

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:32 pm

swc65 wrote:Finally!!!!!! all grades posted!!!

Congrats! I'm still waiting on one :( It's so awkward to still have to put GPA Not Yet Available on my applications.

pissantvache

Postby pissantvache » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:52 pm

Man, I didn't think it would, but torts really screwed my GPA. Darn you weird short answer non-issue spotter exam! (And seriously, who does non-issue spotters in torts?!)

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:57 pm

^
it wasn't great for me, either. still waiting on shaw, though....

are you still above median?

pissantvache

Postby pissantvache » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:54 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:^

yeah, i think I'm just above the stone cutoff. but it would have been so much better! darn exam.

A&O

Postby A&O » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:55 pm

pissantvache wrote:

yeah, i think I'm just above the stone cutoff. but it would have been so much better! darn exam.

Stone is a pretty awesome place to be at CLS. Count your blessings.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:03 pm

I want my last grade too! Come on Torts!

EngineeringLawyer

Postby EngineeringLawyer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:15 pm

How the hell can Shaw justify sending out his grades 4 weeks late while Long got them out in time with 2.5 times the exams, 10 days less, and a new (not really that short) format? Come on Shaw, get it together, I'm still waiting...

swc65

Postby swc65 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:15 pm

EngineeringLawyer wrote:

How the hell can Shaw justify sending out his grades 4 weeks late while Long got them out in time with 2.5 times the exams, 10 days less, and a new (not really that short) format? Come on Shaw, get it together, I'm still waiting...

That is a little a whole lot ridiculous.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:47 pm

pissantvache wrote:

You and me are in identical boats. Just above stone cutoff but would've been so much better if it weren't for Long's Torts exam. I actually felt a little good about it when I left the room too. Made me wonder if I got docked for having too many words in my short answers. Plus we don't have the Stone yet... and that stupid Torts exam puts us that much closer to teetering off this semester.

The thing that scares me most about Torts is I felt like I did almost everything I could. We only had a small sample of short answers practice questions that really were a poor representation of the "curve balls" we would get. The "boxer" fact set was so much simpler to answer than the convoluted set of "construction site" questions. She told us to look at other professor's exams but those had virtually no resemblance to our essay question. Without a full exam to practice, timing was kind of a wild card that cost me some points for sure. Aside from doing a better job of keeping my short answers short... I have no idea what I would change on that damn test.

pissantvache

Postby pissantvache » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:33 pm

Sogui wrote:You and me are in identical boats. Just above stone cutoff but would've been so much better if it weren't for Long's Torts exam. I actually felt a little good about it when I left the room too. Made me wonder if I got docked for having too many words in my short answers. Plus we don't have the Stone yet... and that stupid Torts exam puts us that much closer to teetering off this semester.

The thing that scares me most about Torts is I felt like I did almost everything I could. We only had a small sample of short answers practice questions that really were a poor representation of the "curve balls" we would get. The "boxer" fact set was so much simpler to answer than the convoluted set of "construction site" questions. She told us to look at other professor's exams but those had virtually no resemblance to our essay question. Without a full exam to practice, timing was kind of a wild card that cost me some points for sure. Aside from doing a better job of keeping my short answers short... I have no idea what I would change on that damn test.

Haha, yeah, I had felt pretty good too. I suppose it's possible that the exam itself didn't generate a very good curve, which would have made the grades more susceptible to infelicitous turns of phrase (i'm sure i said "negligent" when i meant "unreasonable" at some point), but other than that, I'm not sure what went wrong. I guess I'll have to go check later this week.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:38 pm

pissantvache wrote:Man, I didn't think it would, but torts really screwed my GPA. Darn you weird short answer non-issue spotter exam! (And seriously, who does non-issue spotters in torts?!)

That sounds like my torts exam. There were definitely issues, but none were fleshed out with enough facts to make a cogent argument.

I'm pretty sure the only thing that saved me was good organization of the elements of a negligence cause of action.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:49 pm

pissantvache wrote:Man, I didn't think it would, but torts really screwed my GPA. Darn you weird short answer non-issue spotter exam! (And seriously, who does non-issue spotters in torts?!)

If it's any consolation, Long's Torts grades were abnormal for lots of people last year. I ended up comfortably above stone and it was my only B the whole year. One girl on law review got a B in the class (her only B as well as far as I know). And for another girl I know, her grades first semester were A, A, B, with the B coming in, you guessed it, Torts.

So, keep hope alive that it's just a funky test.

pissantvache

Postby pissantvache » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:13 am

imchuckbass58 wrote:

If it's any consolation, Long's Torts grades were abnormal for lots of people last year. I ended up comfortably above stone and it was my only B the whole year. One girl on law review got a B in the class (her only B as well as far as I know). And for another girl I know, her grades first semester were A, A, B, with the B coming in, you guessed it, Torts.

So, keep hope alive that it's just a funky test.

Chuck, you give me hope. Not that I'm really holding out for law review (sadly, I didn't manage two As), but it's nice to hear that it's maybe not just me in that class.

ShakeDemHatersOff

Postby ShakeDemHatersOff » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:31 am

Sogui wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:for all you CLSers with grades: were they always preceded by profs emailing saying they were done grading?

One did, One didn't.

Nothing says "Here's your grade, please don't contact me ever again" like a professor quietly slipping in a grade, letting the Registrar notify you, and never saying another word about the exam.

Morrison gave us notification in advance and put up model answers (one by yours truly). It felt a lot more humane and it was almost like he wanted the exams to be a learning experience. All I know is I vastly prefer take-home exams now.

whats your GPA since you think your hot

3.76 for me :shock:

ShakeDemHatersOff

Postby ShakeDemHatersOff » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:37 am

elias wrote:

got an A and didn't use any supplements...waste of time IMO

Kraus laid out everything we needed to know in class. The exam just tested critically evaluation of the concepts nothing more. Multiple choice was really tricky so you had to read each answer EXTREMELY closely. Essay were easy. Just had to spell it out the way he showed us in class during that practice test.

ShakeDemHatersOff

Postby ShakeDemHatersOff » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:40 am

A&O wrote:
pissantvache wrote:

Stone is a pretty awesome place to be at CLS. Count your blessings.

Stone cutoff is 3.4 right?

I'm guessing 3.7 puts me at top 10% right?

ShakeDemHatersOff

Postby ShakeDemHatersOff » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:44 am

Sogui wrote:
pissantvache wrote:

You and me are in identical boats. Just above stone cutoff but would've been so much better if it weren't for Long's Torts exam. I actually felt a little good about it when I left the room too. Made me wonder if I got docked for having too many words in my short answers. Plus we don't have the Stone yet... and that stupid Torts exam puts us that much closer to teetering off this semester.

her test was an absolute crapshoot

I literally didn't read half the cases she assigned because she never called on anyone. Straight chilled through the class w/o paying attention half the time. And still pulled off an A.

don't have a clue how but I'm not gonna complain

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:48 am

pissantvache wrote:

yeah, i went from A- in contracts to B in torts....not even a B+! i am bummed.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:59 am

Yea, I will reserve my judgment until I see my exam in person, but this is one of those times where you want to go back and adjust your course evaluation. The class was already shaky compared to my others, having a roulette wheel for a grade is just silly. I should just wait and see what my exam says, assuming that it has been marked...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”