1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
TigerBeer
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:00 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby TigerBeer » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:27 pm

been waiting on my last grade for a week, i think i am going mildly insane

havent applied to a single 1L summer job, how fucked am i?

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
quakeroats wrote:Employment-wise the bottom of the top is currently CMBG.


In this thread, quakeroats tries desperately to justify his tuition money.


U mad?


Nah. I know how deep the more selective firms go into our class. I'm not worrying.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:32 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
quakeroats wrote:Employment-wise the bottom of the top is currently CMBG.


In this thread, quakeroats tries desperately to justify his tuition money.


U mad?


Nah. I know how deep the more selective firms go into our class. I'm not worrying.


Than Duke? Probably not further at all. Than Gtown, yea a lot further.

A lot of reason Michigan had such a terrible OCI two years ago was because their career services told them to bid on Chicago instead of NYC. What an epically retarded mistake. However Michigan is probably doing as well as V, N and D now.

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby quakeroats » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:35 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
quakeroats wrote:Employment-wise the bottom of the top is currently CMBG.


In this thread, quakeroats tries desperately to justify his tuition money.

It's okay. Maybe next year Duke will manage to hit the 50% mark in NLJ50 hiring - the fact that they send almost nobody into gov't/PI should help them out.


I've been over this more times than I care to remember, but Michigan doesn't carry the weight it used to. Right now it places about as well as Cornell does. 30 years ago it was on par with Chicago, in another 30 it will be more in line with Boston College.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Than Duke? Probably not further at all. Than Gtown, yea a lot further.

A lot of reason Michigan had such a terrible OCI two years ago was because their career services told them to bid on Chicago instead of NYC. What an epically retarded mistake. However Michigan is probably doing as well as V, N and D now.


The information that I've seen seems to suggest that there is a difference between Michigan and Duke in how deep the most selective firms go into the class.

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby quakeroats » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:38 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
quakeroats wrote:Employment-wise the bottom of the top is currently CMBG.


In this thread, quakeroats tries desperately to justify his tuition money.


U mad?


Nah. I know how deep the more selective firms go into our class. I'm not worrying.


I'm sure they'd hire Clarence Darrow in a second.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:38 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
quakeroats wrote:Employment-wise the bottom of the top is currently CMBG.


In this thread, quakeroats tries desperately to justify his tuition money.

It's okay. Maybe next year Duke will manage to hit the 50% mark in NLJ50 hiring - the fact that they send almost nobody into gov't/PI should help them out.


I've been over this more times than I care to remember, but Michigan doesn't carry the weight it used to. Right now it places about as well as Cornell does. 30 years ago it was on par with Chicago, in another 30 it will be more in line with Boston College.


Some solid logic.

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby quakeroats » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:38 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Than Duke? Probably not further at all. Than Gtown, yea a lot further.

A lot of reason Michigan had such a terrible OCI two years ago was because their career services told them to bid on Chicago instead of NYC. What an epically retarded mistake. However Michigan is probably doing as well as V, N and D now.


The information that I've seen seems to suggest that there is a difference between Michigan and Duke in how deep the most selective firms go into the class.


You're right, just not the way you think.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:42 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Than Duke? Probably not further at all. Than Gtown, yea a lot further.

A lot of reason Michigan had such a terrible OCI two years ago was because their career services told them to bid on Chicago instead of NYC. What an epically retarded mistake. However Michigan is probably doing as well as V, N and D now.


The information that I've seen seems to suggest that there is a difference between Michigan and Duke in how deep the most selective firms go into the class.


What info? By all accounts michigans V10 placement was awful the last two years.

User avatar
Sogui
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:32 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Sogui » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:43 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:
Sogui wrote:I have to admit if I got a lousy grade in torts and I had to take some of the PI jobs I've been looking at... I'd be pretty depressed too even though I'd still be "above median".

Seriously some of these jobs sounds like I'll be doing high school intern work for an organization tangentially related to the legal profession. "Preparing media promoting the organization"? Seriously?

A lot of the other stuff on Symplicity is bait and switch job descriptions, with broad descriptions of their work and departments but you dig in 6 pages and find out they only have spots open in their HR department. I'm kinda gettin despressed just thinking about spending my 1L summer doing powerpoints on how some PI group can use Twitter to get their message out!


you, my good sir, are an asshat


What did I do to offend your tender sensibilities? All I ask is that jobs posted to a 1L job listing actually give me some experience in "the law" that we can discuss during 2L OCI, I've heard plenty of stories of people who were miserable with their 1L summer job because weren't doing real, engaging work that should be at least remotely fitting to someone who qualifies for a $3000+/week job in a month or two.

That and being at or above median isn't much of a guarantee to biglaw in this job environment, which is a hell of thing considering I'll be a quarter-million in debt by the time I enter the workforce.

These are all pretty mainstream views, why are you offended?

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:44 pm

quakeroats wrote:You're right, just not the way you think.


We can do a PM swap for the median class percentiles that Cravath, Cleary, Kirkland, Gibson, and Ropes & Gray take if you like. I've already seen the data, so I can tell you who wins.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby thickfreakness » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:45 pm

Helmholtz and quakeroats, ITT

Image

plum
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby plum » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:45 pm

Sogui wrote:I have to admit if I got a lousy grade in torts and I had to take some of the PI jobs I've been looking at... I'd be pretty depressed too even though I'd still be "above median"

why torts in particular?

A&O
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:08 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby A&O » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:45 pm

You are being called that for the same reason Tracy Morgan is widely believed to be hilarious. What matters is not what you say, but how you say it.

(Directed toward sogui)

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby quakeroats » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:16 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
quakeroats wrote:You're right, just not the way you think.


We can do a PM swap for the median class percentiles that Cravath, Cleary, Kirkland, Gibson, and Ropes & Gray take if you like. I've already seen the data, so I can tell you who wins.


--ImageRemoved--

This is a count of associates currently at V10 firms. Note the class-size differential of over 100 students.

User avatar
someones alt
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:08 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby someones alt » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:36 pm

duke sucks

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:37 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
quakeroats wrote:You're right, just not the way you think.


We can do a PM swap for the median class percentiles that Cravath, Cleary, Kirkland, Gibson, and Ropes & Gray take if you like. I've already seen the data, so I can tell you who wins.


--ImageRemoved--

This is a count of associates currently at V10 firms. Note the class-size differential of over 100 students.


I hope you see why those statistics don't really tell us anything. Also, distinguishing firms on what "Vault tier" they are is retarded.

A&O
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:08 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby A&O » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:38 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
quakeroats wrote:You're right, just not the way you think.


We can do a PM swap for the median class percentiles that Cravath, Cleary, Kirkland, Gibson, and Ropes & Gray take if you like. I've already seen the data, so I can tell you who wins.


--ImageRemoved--

This is a count of associates currently at V10 firms. Note the class-size differential of over 100 students.


I'm all for saying Michigan is bad at placing people into big law, but this evidence is meaningless.

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby quakeroats » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:44 pm

A&O wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
quakeroats wrote:You're right, just not the way you think.


We can do a PM swap for the median class percentiles that Cravath, Cleary, Kirkland, Gibson, and Ropes & Gray take if you like. I've already seen the data, so I can tell you who wins.




This is a count of associates currently at V10 firms. Note the class-size differential of over 100 students.


I'm all for saying Michigan is bad at placing people into big law, but this evidence is meaningless.


Would you care to explain why?

A&O
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:08 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby A&O » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:23 pm

Figure it out yourself, smartypants.

User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby somewhatwayward » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:09 pm

has anyone gotten any grades over a weekend?

wishful thinking....

democrattotheend
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby democrattotheend » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:52 pm

hopefullaw27 wrote:For the NYU w/ grade distribution questions. I pulled this from another thread.

"Median: 3.3
Top 1/3: 3.5
Top 10%: 3.67
Top 5%: 3.8

Pomery(top 10 students) last year was about a 3.9(although that will fluctuate a bit from year to year) and I *think* a 3.86 or so was good enough to grade on to LR.

This is from bits and pieces posted on TLS/anecdotal so take w grain of salt. I think if your career counselor really likes you you can get them to tell you roughly where you fall as the school has the cutoffs even if they don't ever publish them/use them except to calculate honors."


Was a 3.86 last year the minimum to grade onto LR, or you just know someone who grade on with that GPA?

forty-two
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:33 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby forty-two » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:55 pm

Still waiting on one grade and then rank...sigh.

User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby somewhatwayward » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:49 pm

e-mail from one professor today who said they'll be posted tomorrow and the delay was bc the registrar rejected his original grades bc they were slightly higher than the mandated curve

he took the opportunity to caution us that a lot of us will be disappointed bc everyone performed really well on the exam

....so now i'm just a great ball of nerves until tomorrow

huckabees
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:38 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby huckabees » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:11 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:e-mail from one professor today who said they'll be posted tomorrow and the delay was bc the registrar rejected his original grades bc they were slightly higher than the mandated curve

he took the opportunity to caution us that a lot of us will be disappointed bc everyone performed really well on the exam

....so now i'm just a great ball of nerves until tomorrow


Is this for Ks? It seemed like everyone studied like mad for Ks this year.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LarryFlint, Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest