1L grade waiting thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
JetstoRJC

Bronze

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Post by JetstoRJC » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:09 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Finally have all my grades in. Anybody want to weigh in on what type of GPA I need from MVP to get DLA Piper?
The info career services has would suggest around a 3.25. Don't know how correct that is though.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:13 pm

JetstoRJC wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Finally have all my grades in. Anybody want to weigh in on what type of GPA I need from MVP to get DLA Piper?
The info career services has would suggest around a 3.25. Don't know how correct that is though.
Damn. Lot of work to do this semester then. How many people from here pull off straight 4.0's in a single semester do you think?

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:16 pm

Either of you guys know what the various GPA percentile cutoffs are at Michigan?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:20 pm

goodolgil wrote:Either of you guys know what the various GPA percentile cutoffs are at Michigan?
I think it's pretty hard to say since the only information we've got is for the graduating class (and GPA's tend to get a pretty healthy boost during 2L and 3L). Here's that: --LinkRemoved--

Target mean GPA for 1L I think is 3.19 (no idea what the median is).

I've been assuming that B+, B+, and a B is about as close as you can get to median for 1L.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:23 pm

Trolling, troll bragging, or self truth trolling? :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:23 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
goodolgil wrote:Either of you guys know what the various GPA percentile cutoffs are at Michigan?
I think it's pretty hard to say since the only information we've got is for the graduating class (and GPA's tend to get a pretty healthy boost during 2L and 3L). Here's that: --LinkRemoved--

Target mean GPA for 1L I think is 3.19 (no idea what the median is).

I've been assuming that B+, B+, and a B is about as close as you can get to median for 1L.
My school's curve is a 3.15-3.2, and our median is around 3.2, IIRC.

JetstoRJC

Bronze

Post by JetstoRJC » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:31 pm

Maybe a handful pull a 4.0. People seem pretty hush about grades but they did just come out. Might become more apparent over the next couple of weeks as the talk spreads.

Curious about how rankings are determined at Michigan as well. I know the journals don't have grade on, but is there any idea of a GPA floor for a journal?
Helmholtz wrote:
JetstoRJC wrote:
Damn. Lot of work to do this semester then. How many people from here pull off straight 4.0's in a single semester do you think?

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:34 pm

I think we do sort of have grade-on. Apparently if your grades are good enough you're supposed to make a "good faith" entry into the writing competition. Not really sure what that means, but I got the idea it was a formality.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:36 pm

goodolgil wrote:I think we do sort of have grade-on. Apparently if your grades are good enough you're supposed to make a "good faith" entry into the writing competition. Not really sure what that means, but I got the idea it was a formality.
That's true, but it's only going to hold for the 10-12 people in the class who had the best grades (I think that's the number who are chosen for LR based pretty much just on grades). Out of a class of 375 or so, I doubt you're going to see too many A-'s on those 10-12 people's transcripts.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:42 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Trolling, troll bragging, or self truth trolling? :lol:
:lol:

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:28 pm

somewhatwayward wrote: eta: do you even really care about getting your LPW grade?

yes! it is just another loose end! besides, there is just no reason for that grade not to be in. I'm not expecting a high pass or anything, but it is another symptom of CLS's ambivalence towards getting grades in on time. Between this and the generic career services advice, I am worried that CLs is resting on its laurels and not adapting to ITE. If so, it will only hurt us.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:38 pm

^
good point. i am getting really frustrated.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:48 pm

Grades get released at 3:45 today...and I'll be meeting with a potential wedding DJ. FML

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:59 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
JetstoRJC wrote:
this has to be a joke. isn't that below median? do URMs account for this in OCI (just as in admissions)?

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:00 pm

TTH wrote:Grades get released at 3:45 today...and I'll be meeting with a potential wedding DJ. FML

Hopefully this is not what you are thinking once you see your grades!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKNKVzVAqUk

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:06 pm

plum wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
JetstoRJC wrote:
this has to be a joke. isn't that below median? do URMs account for this in OCI (just as in admissions)?
Why does it have to be a joke. Below median at a T14 should do better than dla piper, but ITE it is rough.

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:10 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Why does it have to be a joke. Below median at a T14 should do better than DLA piper, but ITE it is rough.
right that's why...even for t10 i was under the impression you need top 1/3rd for biglaw so this struck me as severely unusual.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:16 pm

plum wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Why does it have to be a joke. Below median at a T14 should do better than DLA piper, but ITE it is rough.
right that's why...even for t10 i was under the impression you need top 1/3rd for biglaw so this struck me as severely unusual.
We put more than half of our class into biglaw last year. Take into account all the people doing clerkships, government work, and public interest who could have gotten biglaw, but decided not to. Top 1/3 seems pretty damn silly to me.

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:20 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
plum wrote:
We put more than half of our class into biglaw last year. Take into account all the people doing clerkships, government work, and public interest who could have gotten biglaw, but decided not to. Top 1/3 seems pretty damn silly to me.
lol oh well i can't keep track of TLS. sometimes it's all the sky is falling and sometimes it seems so rosy. i can't tell whether to freak out or be relieved.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:26 pm

plum wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
plum wrote:
lol oh well i can't keep track of TLS. sometimes it's all the sky is falling and sometimes it seems so rosy. i can't tell whether to freak out or be relieved.
50% is pretty fucking shitty compared to probably 80% plus in 2007. 50/50 shot of getting permafucked isn't a good deal at all. And damn near everyone at those schools are smart and hardworking.

And when it's 50% it doesn't mean the top 50%. That means top kids almost all get offers, but the middle third is a crap shoot. Someone with a 3.1 might get an offer, someone with a 3.4 might get nothing, and someone with a 3.3 might get V10.

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:50% is pretty fucking shitty compared to probably 80% plus in 2007. 50/50 shot of getting permafucked isn't a good deal at all. And damn near everyone at those schools are smart and hardworking.

And when it's 50% it doesn't mean the top 50%. That means top kids almost all get offers, but the middle third is a crap shoot. Someone with a 3.1 might get an offer, someone with a 3.4 might get nothing, and someone with a 3.3 might get V10.
sorry to hijack: but what would you say generally the factors that might account for those who win the crap shoot in the middle? good looks? interviewing skillz? work experience? undergrad? 1L summer? course options? ties to the city? or is it just truly random...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:54 pm

plum wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:50% is pretty fucking shitty compared to probably 80% plus in 2007. 50/50 shot of getting permafucked isn't a good deal at all. And damn near everyone at those schools are smart and hardworking.

sorry to hijack: but what would you say generally the factors that might account for those who win the crap shoot in the middle? good looks? interviewing skillz? work experience? undergrad? 1L summer? course options? ties to the city? or is it just truly random...
All of the above probably. Plus maybe bidding strategy.

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:31 pm

plum wrote:

If I had to guess the biggest factor I'd say interview skills. From what I hear, most firms who recruit heavily at a given school have a good idea of whether they want you before you step into the room. They tend to take people above a certain GPA and leave others, but will also interview people within a margin just to see what they've got. What you say during an interview is what can change that, from the interview comments provided by ours career services, and the recruiters who've spoken on campus... a lot of "sure things" became more tenuous post-interview while other tenuous candidates locked themselves in with a great interview.

Given how I've seen some people present themselves in law school, it doesn't surprise me that interviews can kill the chances for people who would otherwise have no problem finding work. I'm talking about being cocky/arrogant/acting entitled/etc...

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:35 pm

^
LOLZ

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:44 pm

At long last, my grades are in:

K's - A
Civ Pro - A
Torts - B+
Crim - B
LR - A

I consistently thought torts was my best class throughout the semester, so I'm a little surprised that I didn't get an A in that class, and I'm even more surprised that I got the A in Civ Pro considering I tought myself civ pro in the weeks leading up to the exam. Ah well. I'm happy. Looking at old distribution sheets, I should be around top 25%, which isn't too bad.

Thanks everyone.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”