1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
of Benito Cereno

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby of Benito Cereno » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:52 pm

remember that whole "grades are due within six weeks of exam" at columbia myth....
civ pro on december 10th.... 44 *#@**(& days ago!

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:56 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:remember that whole "grades are due within six weeks of exam" at columbia myth....

Contracts on December 9th. Oh, and it was a small (less than 35 students) section.

This is what I get for going to a TTT...

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:58 pm

Baylan wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:remember that whole "grades are due within six weeks of exam" at columbia myth....

Contracts on December 9th. Oh, and it was a small (less than 35 students) section.

This is what I get for going to a TTT...

:?

I'm not sure how this conclusion arose from an experience that both you and Columbia students are sharing.

in before Columbia is not HYS, thus TTT

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:54 am

Grade distributions came out unexpectedly today. 6 of the 7 %iles (1, 5, 10... etc.) went up this year from last year. The only one that didn't go up was the only one I was concerned with, so I got lucky.

The 1%ile went up from a 94.43 last fall to a 97.14 this fall. That means 3 people in my class have over a 97.14 average out of 100. :shock: That must be the highest top 1%ile ever at WUSTL, because none of the old distributions even come close. Simply mind-blowing, especially since most legal practice grades top off in the mid-90s. These three people must have CALI'd 2/3 core classes and gotten really close to the top of the class in the other. I can't even imagine what it must be like to rock finals that hard.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:06 am

romothesavior wrote:Grade distributions came out unexpectedly today. 6 of the 7 %iles (1, 5, 10... etc.) went up this year from last year. The only one that didn't go up was the only one I was concerned with, so I got lucky.

The 1%ile went up from a 94.43 last fall to a 97.14 this fall. That means 3 people in my class have over a 97.14 average out of 100. :shock: That must be the highest top 1%ile ever at WUSTL, because none of the old distributions even come close. Simply mind-blowing, especially since most legal practice grades top off in the mid-90s. These three people must have CALI'd 2/3 core classes and gotten really close to the top of the class in the other. I can't even imagine what it must be like to rock finals that hard.

I can't even imagine how a law school exam can be graded on a numeric scale. Honestly, how does that work? Do they force one person to get a 100 and then distribute along the curve relatively?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:09 am

CG614 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Grade distributions came out unexpectedly today. 6 of the 7 %iles (1, 5, 10... etc.) went up this year from last year. The only one that didn't go up was the only one I was concerned with, so I got lucky.

I can't even imagine how a law school exam can be graded on a numeric scale. Honestly, how does that work? Do they force one person to get a 100 and then distribute along the curve relatively?

No, the mean is set at 86.5-87.5 and then profs can grade any way they want. A few pages back I was bitching because my property prof's highest grade was a 96, while one property prof in another section gave out 4 100s. It REALLY skews things. But overall, I like the numeric scale a lot more than a lettering system. I just wish we had a set bell curve.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:28 am

CG614 wrote:

I can't even imagine how a law school exam can be graded on a numeric scale. Honestly, how does that work?

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:57 am

Are the past grade distribution charts you're looking at from past years also after just the fall, or are they for the whole year? I'd imagine distribution would shake up at least a bit after the second semester.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:27 am

quakeroats wrote:
CG614 wrote:

I can't even imagine how a law school exam can be graded on a numeric scale. Honestly, how does that work?

Cool picture, bro.

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:23 am

Does anyone else want to savagely beat their professors whenever they say not to worry about grades?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:55 am

TTH wrote:Does anyone else want to savagely beat their professors whenever they say not to worry about grades?

EVERY time a professor, or anyone for that matter, tries to downplay the importance of grades, it always makes people feel worse. There is nothing that can really be said. The system sucks, the economy sucks, and people are miserable. I guess it may help for people who really do measure their worth by their GPA, but I would hope most people would know better.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:17 am

JusticeHarlan wrote:

Are the past grade distribution charts you're looking at from past years also after just the fall, or are they for the whole year? I'd imagine distribution would shake up at least a bit after the second semester.

Yeah, they are just for the fall. Our registrar does a great job of being transparent and providing as much info as possible, so they've got fall and spring class percentile distributions for like the last ten years. It looks like the percentiles usually are a little lower after a full year, which I guess makes sense. I mean, those people with 97+ have gotta get one less-than-stellar grade, right? RIGHT?!?!?

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:47 pm

traehekat wrote:
TTH wrote:Does anyone else want to savagely beat their professors whenever they say not to worry about grades?

EVERY time a professor, or anyone for that matter, tries to downplay the importance of grades, it always makes people feel worse. There is nothing that can really be said. The system sucks, the economy sucks, and people are miserable. I guess it may help for people who really do measure their worth by their GPA, but I would hope most people would know better.

I agree with you. What bothers me the most, though, is that professors--by and large--probably never had a bad grade throughout law school. At the least, they did well enough to land on law review and get a clerkship. What the hell would they know about having a bad grade?

Grrr...

Rumor has went around that grades will be released Thursday at 11:00am, when our section is in class. It should be interesting to see how people are acting in our afternoon class that day.

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:24 pm

TTH wrote:
traehekat wrote:

I agree with you. What bothers me the most, though, is that professors--by and large--probably never had a bad grade throughout law school. At the least, they did well enough to land on law review and get a clerkship. What the hell would they know about having a bad grade?

Grrr...

Rumor has went around that grades will be released Thursday at 11:00am, when our section is in class. It should be interesting to see how people are acting in our afternoon class that day.

3 of my 4 professors last semester went to Yale, so the pep talks about grades ring especially hollow. One of my professors had to reach all the way back to his/her freshman year as an undergrad (at an elite school, no less) to find a story about an F in an engineering course. I understand what they're trying to do, but it's not fooling anybody.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:30 pm

50 days since I took my first exam . . . I'm grade starving, and my health is waning.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:41 pm

TTH wrote:
traehekat wrote:

Grrr...

You'd be surprised. My K's prof had a mediocre 1L year but refined his study habits and ended up clerking for Posner and Scalia. Justice Kagan got 3 B's in her 1L:

"Most law students have more in common with Elena Kagan than they thought: she had crappy grades first semester too. The Wall Street Journal reported that Elena Kagan received a few B's as a 1L. She went on to be a straight A student and make law review, but her grades weren't at all impressive that first semester.

She received a B- in Torts, a B in Criminal and a B+ in Administrative law."

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:49 pm

Sogui wrote:She received a B- in Torts, a B in Criminal and a B+ in Administrative law."

While this may be good news for some law students who are below median, I'm not sure what this says about the confirmation process for the SCOTUS :wink:

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:51 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Sogui wrote:She received a B- in Torts, a B in Criminal and a B+ in Administrative law."

While this may be good news for some law students who are below median, I'm not sure what this says about the confirmation process for the SCOTUS :wink:

But what was her Con Law grade?????

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:51 pm

delBarco wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

If she got a B- in torts...

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:27 pm

beach_terror wrote:
delBarco wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

If she got a B- in torts...

You never know she could have gotten tight curve pwnd.

solotee

Postby solotee » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:12 pm

Just wanted to check in at 100 pages. Congratulations to the one's that did as well as they hoped. For the one's that didn't do as well as they hoped, time to kick ass this semester.

Good luck to those still waiting!

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:41 pm

yeah im so dumb, my scholarship stipulation is top 40% not top 33%

partay.
thats a fair scholarship stip...wow. what a relief. :mrgreen:

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:46 pm

goosey wrote:yeah im so dumb, my scholarship stipulation is top 40% not top 33%

partay.

You top 40% right?

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
goosey wrote:yeah im so dumb, my scholarship stipulation is top 40% not top 33%

partay.

You top 40% right?

I sure hope so...if not, then close enough to make it as long as I dont royally screw up this semester. we dont get ranked until after spring semester, so wont know for sure, but I think I am in that ballpark based on nalp [which everyone clarified is based on 3Ls rankings--more inflated due to less harsh curve]...so yeah, hopefully top 40 as of now, but even if not, its do-able with all median grades across the board semester [which hopefully will not happen]

wesker

Postby wesker » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:06 pm

more excellent news, emory 1Ls will get 4/5 grades by tomorrow night, and our final grade on monday... however we won't get class rankings until february 7th

atlanta surely must have somewhere to buy pitch forks in bulk

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”