1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sophie316

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby sophie316 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:20 am

BenJ wrote:I figured. But the change from one grade to another in a single class to your overall GPA is pretty drastic when you only have three classes (so Contracts keeps me in range with an A- or higher but drops me well below range with a B+ or lower). Second semester will be included, too, of course, but it's always easier to maintain a GPA than to bring it up.

PS depending on what you want to do if you have a 3.8+ you're going to be fine regardless of if you make LR(absent a desire to clerk/teach I guess).

Would like to teach, though. At least, I always had it in the back of my mind, and grades have so far left it open as a possibility. LR is essential for that.

Also, come on NYU. Now I know you have had our Contracts grades for at least a day and a half and haven't posted them.

Ha last year my civ pro prof didn't turn in his grades til like feb. theres not much they can do if professors are late as far as i understand.

And i brought up my GPA second semester from below to within LR range. Def doable.
Last edited by sophie316 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:47 am

rejectmaster wrote:i don't know if you did this encyclopedia but i would walk around the LS and see people looking just totally overwhelmed with about 8 cups of coffee in front of them and be like "fuck this i'm going home" and do my work in a more relaxed atmosphere in which i could take my pants off, and use the bathroom with the door open.

i hope my stress-limiting approach worked; i can't help but feel that i was less productive because i wasn't suffering the whole time but maybe that's a difference in personality.

I saw a few people burning out, which is partially why I avoid coffee. And I did stay at school for the most part, but I hid down in the lower levels. People that "study" in the hard lounge bother me for some reason.

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:53 am

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:
rejectmaster wrote:i don't know if you did this encyclopedia but i would walk around the LS and see people looking just totally overwhelmed with about 8 cups of coffee in front of them and be like "fuck this i'm going home" and do my work in a more relaxed atmosphere in which i could take my pants off, and use the bathroom with the door open.

i hope my stress-limiting approach worked; i can't help but feel that i was less productive because i wasn't suffering the whole time but maybe that's a difference in personality.

I saw a few people burning out, which is partially why I avoid coffee. And I did stay at school for the most part, but I hid down in the lower levels. People that "study" in the hard lounge bother me for some reason.

yes that looks impossible
in undergrad the library had a "social" floor where the coffee shop and periodical shelves were

it was a zoo.. i didn't understand how it could be any less distracting than sitting in front of a tv the whole time

Eco

Postby Eco » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:10 am

gw grades tommorow!

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:14 am

Eco wrote:gw grades tommorow!

big bucks big bucks big bucks no whammies no whammies no whammies

Postby 02122015 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:23 am

Whammy!

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:24 am

MSPeast wrote:Whammy!

Damn!

Also, MSPeast outted as someone old enough to remember Press Your Luck.

EconProfLawyer

Postby EconProfLawyer » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:29 am

a
Last edited by EconProfLawyer on Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:34 am

sophie316 wrote:
BenJ wrote:I figured. But the change from one grade to another in a single class to your overall GPA is pretty drastic when you only have three classes (so Contracts keeps me in range with an A- or higher but drops me well below range with a B+ or lower). Second semester will be included, too, of course, but it's always easier to maintain a GPA than to bring it up.

PS depending on what you want to do if you have a 3.8+ you're going to be fine regardless of if you make LR(absent a desire to clerk/teach I guess).

Would like to teach, though. At least, I always had it in the back of my mind, and grades have so far left it open as a possibility. LR is essential for that.

Also, come on NYU. Now I know you have had our Contracts grades for at least a day and a half and haven't posted them.

Ha last year my civ pro prof didn't turn in his grades til like feb. theres not much they can do if professors are late as far as i understand.

Ouch. That's awful. However, our Contracts prof sent us an apologetic email on Tuesday saying he would turn grades in Wednesday morning, so presumably they had Wednesday and today (/yesterday) to review them. I guess it really does take 72 hours.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:35 am

EconProfLawyer wrote:I wish they immediately published class rank but they dont, anyone wanna take a guess for me?

B- curve (7.2/12 pt scale)

Contracts (4hrs) A-
Con Law (4hrs) A-
Torts (3hrs) B+
Civ Pro (3hrs) B

Works out to a 9.36/12, really wondering where this will likely put me I'm guessing just outside the top 10%...

Holy crap...if you were really an "EconProf" you should know SOMETHING about math.

EconProfLawyer

Postby EconProfLawyer » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:39 am

I'm guessing grades/class rank aren't normally distributed?

Eco

Postby Eco » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:42 am

I don't even think we get all our grades tomorrow. I'm betting Turley will not be done yet.

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:52 am

Eco wrote:I don't even think we get all our grades tomorrow. I'm betting Turley will not be done yet.

He's got a lot on his plate, though. I want to take an upper-level class with Turley, but I'm glad I got Schechter for Torts.

Eco

Postby Eco » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:01 am

Turley is really a great professor in everything except actual teaching. His advice has always been really helpful. But he's awful at teaching the actual subject. His exam was closed book and yet he assigns us a shit load of reading. But he's nice overall.

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:10 am

Eco wrote:Turley is really a great professor in everything except actual teaching. His advice has always been really helpful. But he's awful at teaching the actual subject. His exam was closed book and yet he assigns us a shit load of reading. But he's nice overall.

i don't think teaching is valued amongst our teachers

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:19 am

rejectmaster wrote:
Eco wrote:Turley is really a great professor in everything except actual teaching. His advice has always been really helpful. But he's awful at teaching the actual subject. His exam was closed book and yet he assigns us a shit load of reading. But he's nice overall.

Maybe not, but I think my section got lucky.

Btw, it's nice to see some GW presence on here. As big as our class is, we should be at least as well represented as NW, WUSTL, and a few of the other heavy hitters on here. Maybe we're just less internet-savvy as a class.

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:25 am

rejectmaster wrote:

Maybe not, but I think my section got lucky.

Btw, it's nice to see some GW presence on here. As big as our class is, we should be at least as well represented as NW, WUSTL, and a few of the other heavy hitters on here. Maybe we're just less internet-savvy as a class.

yeah
i rarely post except when i have something to get off my chest/something i think could help but i do lurk the advice threads

i don't mind posting here, though, especially because almost no one knows who i am (on this board or at gw), i get as far away from the school building as possible when i don't have class and i am sorta from dc so i spend most of my free time with non-law school people

Postby 02122015 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:02 am

Damn!

Nah, I just voluntarily watched Game Show Network in the early 2000s. Which is probably worse. Which just contributes to the garbage that is 1/21/2011.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:28 am

shadow. wrote:PLEASE GIVE GRADES GULC

IT HAS BEEN 38 DAYS

by the way, does anyone know anything about the guy who paces up and down 2nd street outside williams handing out newspapers?

i always sit by a window and he is always there from like 10 am to after 6pm. every day. i think he gives out ~1 newspaper per day.

You gotta hand it to him for dedication and dressing professionally.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:31 am

D. H2Oman wrote:

IT HAS BEEN 38 DAYS

by the way, does anyone know anything about the guy who paces up and down 2nd street outside williams handing out newspapers?

i always sit by a window and he is always there from like 10 am to after 6pm. every day. i think he gives out ~1 newspaper per day.

I think one day we should all go buy stuff from this guy. It'd be more sales in a day then he usually gets in a year it would appear. Is he selling or giving them away?

Postby 02122015 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:39 am

Unitas wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

IT HAS BEEN 38 DAYS

I think one day we should all go buy stuff from this guy. It'd be more sales in a day then he usually gets in a year it would appear. Is he selling or giving them away?

I never see this guy... and I walk down that sidewalk all the time.
I magically get panhandled 80% of the time if I walk to Union Station, but only like 10% of the time if I walk to Judiciary Square.
Edit: Although I rarely walk that stretch outside of Williams. If I'm on 2nd, it's usually alongside my apartment building.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:41 am

MSPeast wrote:
Unitas wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

IT HAS BEEN 38 DAYS

I never see this guy... and I walk down that sidewalk all the time.
I magically get panhandled 80% of the time if I walk to Union Station, but only like 10% of the time if I walk to Judiciary Square.

Tonight in front of Kelly's some guy on a bike tried to panhandle us. I mean how little effort is this guy putting forth to be riding a bike and asking for money?

He is in like a three piece suit everyday beside the library on the other side of the off-ramp.

Postby 02122015 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:42 am

Unitas wrote:
Tonight in front of Kelly's some guy on a bike tried to panhandle us. I mean how little effort is this guy putting forth to be riding a bike and asking for money?

He is in like a three piece suit everyday beside the library on the other side of the off-ramp.

Oh lord, there are always bums between that bar and the apartments. Although usually they are out cold when I walk past them.

Racer 10 Seconds

Postby Racer 10 Seconds » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:42 am

MSPeast wrote:
Unitas wrote:

Oh lord, there are always bums between that bar and the apartments. Although usually they are out cold when I walk past them.

Also, there is an enjoyable Quizno's with 8 employees on duty at all times stuffed behind the counter. And they are all friendly and happy to be making you a sandwich. It is really an incredible area.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:44 am

MSPeast wrote:

Damn!

Nah, I just voluntarily watched Game Show Network in the early 2000s. Which is probably worse. Which just contributes to the garbage that is 1/21/2011.

They used to show it on USA all the time back in the early-to-mid '90s too. That's when I fell in love with it.

And by "fell in love" I mean "was distracted enough by the cartoon whammies to not be bored."

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”