1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Burberry by Burberry

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Burberry by Burberry » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:59 pm

MATH PEOPLE: Can you tell me the key class percentiles based on the info below? TIA

Grade : Class Share
A : 12%
A- : 19%
B+ : 28%
B : 31%-36%
B- and below : 5%-10%

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:02 pm

Burberry by Burberry wrote:MATH PEOPLE: Can you tell me the key class percentiles based on the info below? TIA

what do those correspond to on a 4.0 scale in your program

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:03 pm

Burberry by Burberry wrote:MATH PEOPLE: Can you tell me the key class percentiles based on the info below? TIA

It would also be based upon 3 classes, TIA too.

Cherith Cutestory

Postby Cherith Cutestory » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:09 pm

Unitas wrote:
shadow. wrote:grade(s) up

a- in con law holla

wonder how many get an a in a 28 person class?

Click on the grade and it gives percents for each class.

Cutoffs for GULC? Top 1/3, 10%, 5%? Just for everyones reference
My favorite class that I thought I did by far the best in is by far my worst grade.. Errr..

After about 45 minutes of mostly fruitless searching, this is the closest I could find.

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/registrar ... 9-2010.htm

I'm not really sure how well that'll translate for our year (there did seem to be some variance between years under the old curve), and I happily invite someone with more Google and/or math-fu than I to step in. As is, I'll enjoy the delusion that I've managed to budge my way into top 1/3.

what do those correspond to on a 4.0 scale in your program

A = 4.0
A- = 3.67
B+ = 3.33
B = 3
B- = ?

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:15 pm

i'm trying to figure out a way to do this but without actual data i don't know if i can

math UG struggling with statistics/arithmetic

NICE

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:55 pm

yeah sorry there is no way that i can figure to do it without randomizing figures on my end which doesn't help.. there is no statistical figure i could use to try and correlate an individual's exam scores to each other without assuming that its all luck.. like i can't say "someone has 12% chance of receiving 1 A and therefore .12*.12 of receiving two and .12 cubed of receiving three A's!"

futher proof that law exam grading is some kind of supernatural/paranormal endeavor - predictive statistics don't apply!

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:05 pm

it'd be impossible to do so because you can't assume a random distribution of grades for every single person. Aka: some people are predisposed to doing better than others and vice versa, it messes up the tails.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:02 pm

delBarco wrote:

it'd be impossible to do so because you can't assume a random distribution of grades for every single person. Aka: some people are predisposed to doing better than others and vice versa, it messes up the tails.

If you assume the figures from last year in the link about are relatively accurate you can come up with something. The further you get from the disclosed figure, i.e., top 10%, the less accurate you'll be.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:20 pm

quakeroats wrote:
delBarco wrote:

If you assume the figures from last year in the link about are relatively accurate you can come up with something. The further you get from the disclosed figure, i.e., top 10%, the less accurate you'll be.

which link?

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:31 pm

delBarco wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
delBarco wrote:

which link?

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/registrar ... 9-2010.htm

wesker

Postby wesker » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:36 pm

excellent news, grades will be out by january 31st!

sophie316

Postby sophie316 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:46 pm

BenJ wrote:
hopefullaw27 wrote:For the NYU w/ grade distribution questions. I pulled this from another thread.

"Median: 3.3
Top 1/3: 3.5
Top 10%: 3.67
Top 5%: 3.8

Pomery(top 10 students) last year was about a 3.9(although that will fluctuate a bit from year to year) and I *think* a 3.86 or so was good enough to grade on to LR.

This is from bits and pieces posted on TLS/anecdotal so take w grain of salt. I think if your career counselor really likes you you can get them to tell you roughly where you fall as the school has the cutoffs even if they don't ever publish them/use them except to calculate honors."

Awesome, thank you. Now hoping that my Contracts grade keeps me above that 3.86 LR grade-on mark. (I know it's not only grade-on, but my understanding is that the grade+writing slots go pretty much to all of the top grades and no one else.)

I'm the person who posted that in the other thread. Just to say bear in mind that the GPA required for LR will likely change a bit each year. It can often depend on what combination of professors sections have ie last year my section had one class where people who got As in other classes didn't do nearly as well in because it was just a very different kind of exam. That sort of thing can alter the threshold. Mainly just to say don't assume if you get a 3.86 you will get LR and don't assume if you don't that you won't.

PS depending on what you want to do if you have a 3.8+ you're going to be fine regardless of if you make LR(absent a desire to clerk/teach I guess).

ms2010

Postby ms2010 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:48 pm

LRW - A-
Civ Pro - A-
Crim - A
Torts - B
Contracts - B+

I'll take it.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:05 pm

wesker wrote:excellent news, grades will be out by january 31st!

Are you at Emory too? I was pretty mad when I saw that email; I was expecting grades this week. I'm not even worried about how I did anymore, I just want my grades so I can move on and focus my energy on this semester.

wesker

Postby wesker » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:07 pm

Omerta wrote:

Are you at Emory too? I was pretty mad when I saw that email; I was expecting grades this week. I'm not even worried about how I did anymore, I just want my grades so I can move on and focus my energy on this semester.

yeah, that email made me furious... I think I was sitting in property too which made it all the more terrible

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:30 pm

wesker wrote:
Omerta wrote:

yeah, that email made me furious... I think I was sitting in property too which made it all the more terrible

I think there are definite legitimate circumstances for *some* of the grades being late. But to hold onto all of them is just cruel.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:48 pm

so civ pro was 42 days ago...

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:25 pm

sophie316 wrote:
BenJ wrote:
hopefullaw27 wrote:For the NYU w/ grade distribution questions. I pulled this from another thread.

"Median: 3.3
Top 1/3: 3.5
Top 10%: 3.67
Top 5%: 3.8

Pomery(top 10 students) last year was about a 3.9(although that will fluctuate a bit from year to year) and I *think* a 3.86 or so was good enough to grade on to LR.

This is from bits and pieces posted on TLS/anecdotal so take w grain of salt. I think if your career counselor really likes you you can get them to tell you roughly where you fall as the school has the cutoffs even if they don't ever publish them/use them except to calculate honors."

Awesome, thank you. Now hoping that my Contracts grade keeps me above that 3.86 LR grade-on mark. (I know it's not only grade-on, but my understanding is that the grade+writing slots go pretty much to all of the top grades and no one else.)

I'm the person who posted that in the other thread. Just to say bear in mind that the GPA required for LR will likely change a bit each year. It can often depend on what combination of professors sections have ie last year my section had one class where people who got As in other classes didn't do nearly as well in because it was just a very different kind of exam. That sort of thing can alter the threshold. Mainly just to say don't assume if you get a 3.86 you will get LR and don't assume if you don't that you won't.

I figured. But the change from one grade to another in a single class to your overall GPA is pretty drastic when you only have three classes (so Contracts keeps me in range with an A- or higher but drops me well below range with a B+ or lower). Second semester will be included, too, of course, but it's always easier to maintain a GPA than to bring it up.

PS depending on what you want to do if you have a 3.8+ you're going to be fine regardless of if you make LR(absent a desire to clerk/teach I guess).

Would like to teach, though. At least, I always had it in the back of my mind, and grades have so far left it open as a possibility. LR is essential for that.

Also, come on NYU. Now I know you have had our Contracts grades for at least a day and a half and haven't posted them.

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:51 pm

Apparently GW is releasing grades tomorrow, with the possible exception of LRW grades--which is fine, that's the only one where I can sort of figure out where I fall anyway.

Racer 10 Seconds

Postby Racer 10 Seconds » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:52 pm

Last edited by Racer 10 Seconds on Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:56 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:Apparently GW is releasing grades tomorrow, with the possible exception of LRW grades--which is fine, that's the only one where I can sort of figure out where I fall anyway.

LRW can also completely eat my ass.. screw them for making it graded

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:03 am

rejectmaster wrote:
Encyclopedia Brown wrote:Apparently GW is releasing grades tomorrow, with the possible exception of LRW grades--which is fine, that's the only one where I can sort of figure out where I fall anyway.

It cuts the other way for me; I'm happy for the extra bump. I just pray they release the rest AFTER classes are done tomorrow, so I can start drinking ASAP and not fake my way through property.

roofles

Postby roofles » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:12 am

LRW was the class I hated and bitched about the most, but was my highest grade. That said, LRW still sucks.

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:14 am

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:
rejectmaster wrote:

It cuts the other way for me; I'm happy for the extra bump. I just pray they release the rest AFTER classes are done tomorrow, so I can start drinking ASAP and not fake my way through property.

i'm not going to check until i'm done with classes

this sucks so bad

i hope i do ok, but at the same time i'm not sure i deserve to compared to some other students that definitely worked harder than me, or at least made it appear that they did.

i don't know if you did this encyclopedia but i would walk around the LS and see people looking just totally overwhelmed with about 8 cups of coffee in front of them and be like "fuck this i'm going home" and do my work in a more relaxed atmosphere in which i could take my pants off, and use the bathroom with the door open.

i hope my stress-limiting approach worked; i can't help but feel that i was less productive because i wasn't suffering the whole time but maybe that's a difference in personality.

Muddy

Postby Muddy » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:16 am

nevermind
Last edited by Muddy on Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”