1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Barouche

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Barouche » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:37 am

how are you guys estimating how grades translate into class rank if the school doesn't post GPA or class rank?

e.g. what would you say ~3.79 would be at NYU which gives about 10% As and 20% A-s in every first year class?

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:40 am

Barouche wrote:how are you guys estimating how grades translate into class rank if the school doesn't post GPA or class rank?

e.g. what would you say ~3.79 would be at NYU which gives about 10% As and 20% A-s in every first year class?

I just looked at past year's class rankings & GPA cutoffs

Burberry by Burberry

Postby Burberry by Burberry » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:48 am

I don't even want to go to my classes tomorrow. I can't refresh constantly with ~100 other people in the room - I'm not that good of an actress!!!

Barouche

Postby Barouche » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:50 am

uwb09 wrote:
Barouche wrote:how are you guys estimating how grades translate into class rank if the school doesn't post GPA or class rank?

Right, but what if that info isn't available?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:10 am

Barouche wrote:
uwb09 wrote:

Right, but what if that info isn't available?

Ask a 2L/3L.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:19 am

Burberry by Burberry wrote:I don't even want to go to my classes tomorrow. I can't refresh constantly with ~100 other people in the room - I'm not that good of an actress!!!

This. I was so freakin' glad our grades came in before classes started. I had no desire to risk breaking down and going fetal at the sight of a poor grade in front of 85 of my least closest friends.

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:19 am

ugh i am getting so wound up over grades and i never have before

it is a foreign feeling

i just spend the past hour on a liberty city crime spree in GTAIV to calm the nerves a little bit

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:20 am

Congratulations to all the good-news-getters today. I only hate you a little.

hopefullaw27

Postby hopefullaw27 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:32 am

For the NYU w/ grade distribution questions. I pulled this from another thread.

"Median: 3.3
Top 1/3: 3.5
Top 10%: 3.67
Top 5%: 3.8

Pomery(top 10 students) last year was about a 3.9(although that will fluctuate a bit from year to year) and I *think* a 3.86 or so was good enough to grade on to LR.

This is from bits and pieces posted on TLS/anecdotal so take w grain of salt. I think if your career counselor really likes you you can get them to tell you roughly where you fall as the school has the cutoffs even if they don't ever publish them/use them except to calculate honors."

j nyc

Postby j nyc » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:37 am

hopefullaw27 wrote:For the NYU w/ grade distribution questions. I pulled this from another thread.

Pomery(top 10 students) last year was about a 3.9(although that will fluctuate a bit from year to year) and I *think* a 3.86 or so was good enough to grade on to LR.

This is from bits and pieces posted on TLS/anecdotal so take w grain of salt. I think if your career counselor really likes you you can get them to tell you roughly where you fall as the school has the cutoffs even if they don't ever publish them/use them except to calculate honors."

i had been looking for this as well -- thank you!
Last edited by j nyc on Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby 02122015 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:13 am

Burberry by Burberry wrote:I don't even want to go to my classes tomorrow. I can't refresh constantly with ~100 other people in the room - I'm not that good of an actress!!!

I'm not going to check in class, mainly because I don't want to be surrounded by my section when I see my grades for the first time, especially since I really haven't the slightest idea how I did.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:40 am

MSPeast wrote:

I'm not going to check in class, mainly because I don't want to be surrounded by my section when I see my grades for the first time, especially since I really haven't the slightest idea how I did.

Our section had one grade released during class and most of us didn't look. Probably a good idea. Granted, we discovered they were up with like 15 minutes of class left... might have been a different story if we still had an hour to go.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:28 am

MSPeast wrote:

I had a nightmare last night that I got all D grades. Not only were they D, but they were lower case ds. My school, I don't think, even gives out D grades. Nice way to wake up at 4 am.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:32 am

Unitas wrote:
MSPeast wrote:

I had a nightmare last night that I got all D grades. Not only were they D, but they were lower case ds. My school, I don't think, even gives out D grades. Nice way to wake up at 4 am.

That sucks. It's funny that they were lower case ds though!

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:33 am

MSPeast wrote:

How sure are you that grades are coming out today? I heard some people in my section today saying they were delayed until February. No idea if they know what they're talking about.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:12 pm

hopefullaw27 wrote:For the NYU w/ grade distribution questions. I pulled this from another thread.

Awesome, thank you. Now hoping that my Contracts grade keeps me above that 3.86 LR grade-on mark. (I know it's not only grade-on, but my understanding is that the grade+writing slots go pretty much to all of the top grades and no one else.)

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:30 pm

Torvon wrote:
MSPeast wrote:

How sure are you that grades are coming out today? I heard some people in my section today saying they were delayed until February. No idea if they know what they're talking about.

pretty certain for at least Section 1. The dean came and talked to my section with a pep talk about getting our grades sometime after 5. I still think before 5, but he said after.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:35 pm

SMU doesn't care about black people('s grades)

mths

Postby mths » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:59 pm

Thirteen wrote:SMU doesn't care about black people('s grades)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:56 pm

We just got grades here, and since too many people know me I'm not going to say anything too specific. I'm happy, but not where I want to be. My ultimate goal is within reach, but it's going to take a whole lot of grinding to get there.

Feel like I'm back in college playing soccer right now, but someone's gotta lose - and it's not going to fucking be me.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:03 pm

grades are weird

Property- outlined- studied balls off. knew everything mostly inside out. well rested before. After i walked out I knew it would be a crap shoot. Only 40 ppl in our section and everyone is mad smart. Plus 1/3rd of the exam was multiple guess. Prob very fine line between b+/a- etc.Final: B.

Contracts: total opposite of property. Stopped outlining, just crammed from old outlines. Stopped taking class notes in november. Crammed 3 days before. LITERALLY stayed up for 26 hours before taking the exam. Took it on no sleep. Exam was super tough. Tests us on everything. Closed book exam too. Final: B

Crim: class I paid the least attention in. Barely took notes. Hardly outlined/briefed cases. Get exam and its basically all conspiracy/accomplice liabiltity. Though i rocked out and got no lower than A-. Final: B+

O well, Two B's and a B+ not horrendous but atleast it wont be impossible to improve. I have four grades upcoming. Only thing I'll change is hit up the relevant outlines sooner.

Also, I gained an appreciation for just how smart and fabulous everyone is at Fordham. Competition is tough!

geekrocker37

Postby geekrocker37 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:15 pm

Torts: A-
Criminal Law: A
Civil Procedure: A
Legal Writing: B-

Happy x 1000.

Thank god for Crunchtime Civ Pro, and don't believe the hype about writing 7k words. Baloney.

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:19 pm

geekrocker37 wrote:Torts: A-

Happy x 1000.

Thank god for Crunchtime Civ Pro, and don't believe the hype about writing 7k words. Baloney.

you da man!

honestly though graded legal writing really chaps my butthole, apparently it was always ungraded here up until a few years ago

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:23 pm

Graded LWR dropped me .1 gpa points. Fuck LWR.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:26 pm

geekrocker37 wrote:Torts: A-

Happy x 1000.

Nice! Agreed about Crunchtime CivPro :).

beach_terror wrote:We just got grades here, and since too many people know me I'm not going to say anything too specific. I'm happy, but not where I want to be. My ultimate goal is within reach, but it's going to take a whole lot of grinding to get there.

Feel like I'm back in college playing soccer right now, but someone's gotta lose - and it's not going to fucking be me.

Glad you're happy and at least close to where you want to be :).

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”