1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Grizz

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Grizz » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:43 pm

soaponarope wrote:Earlier today I received my first grade!!!! A+ in torts!!! Woot Woot! I left that test feeling like I scored a B-/C+.

Hopefully this is an omen for my other classes... I pretty much left with the thought that my 1st semester grades would be straight C's with a B in one or two classes.

Question: I'm still in shock over my grade. Is there any chance it is a mistake? I keep expecting to get an email/apology about inserting the wrong grade.

Grats bro

soaponarope

Postby soaponarope » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:50 pm

rad law wrote:
soaponarope wrote:Earlier today I received my first grade!!!! A+ in torts!!! Woot Woot! I left that test feeling like I scored a B-/C+.

Hopefully this is an omen for my other classes... I pretty much left with the thought that my 1st semester grades would be straight C's with a B in one or two classes.

Question: I'm still in shock over my grade. Is there any chance it is a mistake? I keep expecting to get an email/apology about inserting the wrong grade.

Grats bro

Many thanks!!!!

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:51 pm

I can only imagine what it feels like to get that grade . . .

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:52 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:

+1

Especially considering that based on the data I have, none of my 1L profs give out A+'s. Ever. But then again, you have the hilarity of me getting below-median pwned anyway, so it's not even an issue.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:54 pm

Wow dude, thats awesome! Lol its so weird that someone could think they did that poorly and actually do that well. Makes me worry less and less about my civ pro exam (which I can clearly think of issues I missed). At the same time, it makes me worry more about my K's and torts exams (which I feel like I nailed pretty well).

soaponarope

Postby soaponarope » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:56 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:

+1

Especially considering that based on the data I have, none of my 1L profs give out A+'s. Ever. But then again, you have the hilarity of me getting below-median pwned anyway, so it's not even an issue.

I still don't believe it... I clicked onto the grades about 50 times to make sure my grade was still there. I'm still in fear that there was some mistake/some F'up with my anonymous number. I'm in shock.

soaponarope

Postby soaponarope » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:59 pm

dakatz wrote:

Wow dude, thats awesome! Lol its so weird that someone could think they did that poorly and actually do that well. Makes me worry less and less about my civ pro exam (which I can clearly think of issues I missed). At the same time, it makes me worry more about my K's and torts exams (which I feel like I nailed pretty well).

I hear ya. I think talking with other students after the exam freaked me out/why I thought I scored a C... They were talking about issues that I didn't address. Additionally, later that night I started going through the fact pattern over and over in my head... I started questioning my answers and wondering what the hell I actually wrote (if I put the right rule down, etc...)

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:02 pm

soaponarope wrote:
dakatz wrote:

I hear ya. I think talking with other students after the exam freaked me out/why I thought I scored a C... They were talking about issues that I didn't address. Additionally, later that night I started going through the fact pattern over and over in my head... I started questioning my answers and wondering what the hell I actually wrote (if I put the right rule down, etc...)

ToTransferOrNot wrote:The First Law Of Law School Exams

Grades on law school exams are inversely related to how you feel you did on said exam.

Champy

Postby Champy » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:18 pm

keg411 wrote:You guys only had 3 classes at UIUC this semester? Do you have more next semester to balance it out? If that's the case, then it's not so bad since you guys will have another semester with more classes to recover.

And believe me, I think it's likely that I'll be joining y'all in the below-median club when we get our grades after the new year (and my school is far worse than UIUC).

At Illinois, we have 5 classes, 3 of them graded, 2 of them high honors/ honors/ pass/ fail. Those 2 don't get factored into our GPA.

TCS and Nancy, sorry about your news. :( I'm pretty grateful I'm not in the section that got grades back, the bad news can wait until after vacation.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:20 pm

congrats thats awesome!

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:25 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:Hall of future shame

Sogui-Though not yet the recipient of any actual law school grades. Sogui has lectured 2L's+3L's on the proper way to study for and take a law school exam:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=141126&start=75

and also attempted to rewrite American contract law:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=140851

Here's to you Sogui, keep doing what you do.

I literally laughed out loud.

SamSeaborn2016

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:28 pm

Took my last final for the first semester yesterday. Feeling pretty good but we'll see when my grades show up in January/February.

Postby 98234872348 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:34 pm

Grades on law school exams are inversely related to how you feel you did on said exam.

While I have a generally pessimistic outlook and I typically don't say things like "I just killed that exam," the exam I felt worst about was my worst exam and those I felt better about tend to be my best. Of course, this is a fwiw, since the smartest people also tend to be very neurotic and fastidious.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:56 pm

mistergoft wrote:

While I have a generally pessimistic outlook and I typically don't say things like "I just killed that exam," the exam I felt worst about was my worst exam and those I felt better about tend to be my best. Of course, this is a fwiw, since the smartest people also tend to be very neurotic and fastidious.

Do neurotic people tend to be smart? Because I'm checking for grades like 3 times a day even though I know I probably won't get them until January.

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:20 pm

not really 1L here... but my first 2L grade is in. Waiting on three more.... Waiting sucks!!!! Makes my Christmas "break" extremely sour.

jhawk4life

Postby jhawk4life » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:25 pm

I still don't believe it... I clicked onto the grades about 50 times to make sure my grade was still there. I'm still in fear that there was some mistake/some F'up with my anonymous number. I'm in shock.

I did the same thing with my LARW grade (got the class high). I keep having to go back and look at it just to make sure I read it right!

solotee

Postby solotee » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:39 pm

Congrats man, way to start off strong!

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:08 am

soaponarope wrote:
dakatz wrote:

Congrats and sweet 'tar.

I feel like most torts exams lend themselves the least to any sort of post-exam discussion. There are so many issues to discuss and so little time. Our prof said if there are 120 available pts the high score is usually in the high 70's (or something like that...or maybe it was 70% - who knows?). That leaves open a ton of discrepancy between what two people could have covered and still have done well.

At least thats how I'm comforting myself before I go to bed at night....

jay115

Postby jay115 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:14 am

ahh congrats! im still waiting for my grades, and im not hopeful. im expecting below-median grades for crim and torts (made stupid mistakes in retrospect on the exam), and hopefully an A- in K.

Gamecubesupreme

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:30 am

Good job!

I can't imagine how happy I would be if I get an A+ in any of my courses.

And don't worry, I'm sure it's not a mistake.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:47 am

This thread makes me want to vomit. I don't know why I check in.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:48 am

IAFG wrote:This thread makes me want to vomit. I don't know why I check in.

Weight loss plan?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:56 am

D-hops wrote:

Weight loss plan?

Eww I need it too. Lack of finals appetite suppression + time to eat = chubbs

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:59 am

Yea I'll be honest I just get bitter when I see people got their grades, whether or not they were the results they were looking for.

jay115

Postby jay115 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:40 am

IAFG wrote:
D-hops wrote:

Weight loss plan?

Eww I need it too. Lack of finals appetite suppression + time to eat = chubbs

we all need it. law school has bucked me off my gym plan, and all i did last semester was smuggle food from whole foods and chomp down

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”