1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7234
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby beach_terror » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:34 pm

I feel like all I do is wait wait wait, no matter what
got grades on my mind, are they gonna be good enough?
every time I'm in the building, everyone throws they hands up
saying... what the fuck

seriously, where the fuck are my grades

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby quakeroats » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:39 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
td6624 wrote:I think most people would agree that this particular social convention is good.


If so, they sure are having trouble articulating good reasons for it. Hurt feels are about it so far.

And why is hurt feelings not a perfectly legitimate reason for a social convention?


Because then you can't congratulate those who did well and try to help/commiserate with those who didn't. It makes an isolating experience all the more so. It also helps keep a system intact that distributes benefits in a questionable way, often to non-student recipients:

http://duncankennedy.net/documents/Phot ... %20Ed..pdf

User avatar
forza
Posts: 2777
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:32 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby forza » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:50 pm

Feel free to be that guy, quakeroats. As for the rest of us...

User avatar
Dr. Review
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:51 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Dr. Review » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:52 pm

I don't mind a reciprocal sharing of grades, but at the same time, I don't go around asking people what they made. I just ask if people are happy with how they did. Beyond that, if they feel like sharing or withholding, it's their business, and certainly not my place to impose.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7234
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby beach_terror » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:53 pm

Email from the registrar, grades Friday. Almost had a heart attack when my outlook popped up with "Fall Grades"

Jesus this is gonna be a long 2 days.

stayway
Posts: 1275
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:38 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby stayway » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:54 pm

beach_terror wrote:Email from the registrar, grades Friday. Almost had a heart attack when my outlook popped up with "Fall Grades"

Jesus this is gonna be a long 2 days.


AHHHHHHHHH

User avatar
FlightoftheEarls
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:57 pm

quakeroats wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
td6624 wrote:I think most people would agree that this particular social convention is good.


If so, they sure are having trouble articulating good reasons for it. Hurt feels are about it so far.

And why is hurt feelings not a perfectly legitimate reason for a social convention?


Because then you can't congratulate those who did well and try to help/commiserate with those who didn't. It makes an isolating experience all the more so. It also helps keep a system intact that distributes benefits in a questionable way, often to non-student recipients:

http://duncankennedy.net/documents/Phot ... %20Ed..pdf

I'm not going to take the time read that article - feel free to summarize.

In response to your points: what makes you think that people who were sub-median want an above-median student's help? When below-median students are hesitant to even speak with their professors because they're embarrassed about their grades and afraid of being judged by the professor, why on earth would they want to turn to a peer 1L who happened to have a slightly higher Contracts grade? Students who want to improve would be doing themselves a favor by seeking exam help from their professors. However, it's most certainly not the job of some 1L who thinks he knows everything because he landed an A in Torts. Also, do you really think commiserating with a person who landed a C in Torts is going to sound even remotely sincere when you have an A in the class?

As far as congratulating the people who did well? I think the benefit derived (the A student feels good about himself) is woefully insufficient as compared to the harm that is done (reinforcing the idea in the C students' mind that he or she is somehow inept as compared to this person).

I'd also like to point out that you are arguing that "avoiding hurt feelings" is not an acceptable reason. The rationale you propose instead, however, is also premised on making people feel a certain way, whether that is congratulated (A student) or commiserated with (C student). In effect, your entire argument comes down to the idea that we should place greater weight on making the A students feel better, which will naturally come at the expense (or as you argue and I disagree with, benefit) of the C student. I don't see any reason why the A student should feel that he needs congratulations, but, with all the pressures of law school, debt, and future employment, I can certainly understand how the C student will be upset by his grades.

User avatar
seespotrun
Posts: 2395
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:36 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby seespotrun » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:01 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Email from the registrar, grades Friday. Almost had a heart attack when my outlook popped up with "Fall Grades"

Jesus this is gonna be a long 2 days.


AHHHHHHHHH


What is this I don't even...

I guess 2Ls and 3Ls will be getting them later (I didn't get the e-mail).

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby swc65 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:22 pm

beach_terror wrote:Email from the registrar, grades Friday. Almost had a heart attack when my outlook popped up with "Fall Grades"

Jesus this is gonna be a long 2 days.


Do you get them all at once??

I am starting to think that once this high wears off, the waiting will become killer again.

User avatar
solotee
Posts: 481
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby solotee » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:26 pm

Just got my second grade (Property).

I will post them all once I get my last grade for Torts (which I feel the worst about :( )

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby swc65 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:27 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:In response to your points: what makes you think that people who were sub-median want an above-median student's help? When below-median students are hesitant to even speak with their professors because they're embarrassed about their grades and afraid of being judged by the professor, why on earth would they want to turn to a peer 1L who happened to have a slightly higher Contracts grade? Students who want to improve would be doing themselves a favor by seeking exam help from their professors. However, it's most certainly not the job of some 1L who thinks he knows everything because he landed an A in Torts. Also, do you really think commiserating with a person who landed a C in Torts is going to sound even remotely sincere when you have an A in the class?

As far as congratulating the people who did well? I think the benefit derived (the A student feels good about himself) is woefully insufficient as compared to the harm that is done (reinforcing the idea in the C students' mind that he or she is somehow inept as compared to this person).

I'd also like to point out that you are arguing that "avoiding hurt feelings" is not an acceptable reason. The rationale you propose instead, however, is also premised on making people feel a certain way, whether that is congratulated (A student) or commiserated with (C student). In effect, your entire argument comes down to the idea that we should place greater weight on making the A students feel better, which will naturally come at the expense (or as you argue and I disagree with, benefit) of the C student. I don't see any reason why the A student should feel that he needs congratulations, but, with all the pressures of law school, debt, and future employment, I can certainly understand how the C student will be upset by his grades.


yeah fuck that. If you got an A enjoy your damn A. That should be reward enough. You don't need to get more gratz from people who most probably did not get As. There is little reason for it.

Avoiding hurting feelings is definitely a good reason to keep your mouth shut. There are people who put their hearts and souls into this stuff and came out on the bottom. There is no reason to add to their misery, especially just to feel a little bit better about yourself. Go to a bar and tell some randos, get laid, go to class and stfu.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7234
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby beach_terror » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:28 pm

seespotrun wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Email from the registrar, grades Friday. Almost had a heart attack when my outlook popped up with "Fall Grades"

Jesus this is gonna be a long 2 days.


AHHHHHHHHH


What is this I don't even...

I guess 2Ls and 3Ls will be getting them later (I didn't get the e-mail).

Yeah it was just to the 2013 list. Sorry bro.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:41 pm

Yeah, I dont tell my grades to anyone unless they specifically ask. I honestly dont care, but many people do and I respect that. I've also been outed on TLS so I cant post them on here either, just have to play the "I felt pretty good about my grade, how about you?" game I guess.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:46 pm

Quaker oats is going to get corsaired for sure.

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby swc65 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:51 pm

Oats, it's not tough to figure out. If you do well and blab, it will just remind others that they didn't do so well. Yes, this basically amounts to hurt feelings. But, what is wrong with avoiding hurting your classmates feelings?

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7234
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby beach_terror » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:55 pm

swc65 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Email from the registrar, grades Friday. Almost had a heart attack when my outlook popped up with "Fall Grades"

Jesus this is gonna be a long 2 days.


Do you get them all at once??

I am starting to think that once this high wears off, the waiting will become killer again.

Yeah, all at once.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby traehekat » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:11 pm

swc65 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Email from the registrar, grades Friday. Almost had a heart attack when my outlook popped up with "Fall Grades"

Jesus this is gonna be a long 2 days.


Do you get them all at once??

I am starting to think that once this high wears off, the waiting will become killer again.


It definitely wears off, and the wait becomes worse and worse with each grade you get.

User avatar
Kilpatrick
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Kilpatrick » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:28 pm


User avatar
TruckerD
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby TruckerD » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:33 pm

I hope no one on here was thinking I was bragging about my grades/rank. The reason why I posted them was partially because you all helped me so much during the process of getting into law school, and after being a truck driver after several years, and being out of school for an even longer period of time, I was just floored and wanted to share my happy news with you all.

I am very sorry to hear of those who did not do as equally well. I am very surprised because I believe that each of you are definitely more capable then I am at this whole process. For those whose grades have yet to come out, I wish you all the luck and success and I know that everyone here will get a great job and have a rewarding law career.

10-4

D

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:33 pm

traehekat wrote:
swc65 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Email from the registrar, grades Friday. Almost had a heart attack when my outlook popped up with "Fall Grades"

Jesus this is gonna be a long 2 days.


Do you get them all at once??

I am starting to think that once this high wears off, the waiting will become killer again.


It definitely wears off, and the wait becomes worse and worse with each grade you get.

Huge +1

User avatar
GATORTIM
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby GATORTIM » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:37 pm

TruckerD wrote:I hope no one on here was thinking I was bragging about my grades/rank. The reason why I posted them was partially because you all helped me so much during the process of getting into law school, and after being a truck driver after several years, and being out of school for an even longer period of time, I was just floored and wanted to share my happy news with you all.

I am very sorry to hear of those who did not do as equally well. I am very surprised because I believe that each of you are definitely more capable then I am at this whole process. For those whose grades have yet to come out, I wish you all the luck and success and I know that everyone here will get a great job and have a rewarding law career.

10-4

D

Image

No sweat bro

td6624
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby td6624 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:46 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
I'd also like to point out that you are arguing that "avoiding hurt feelings" is not an acceptable reason. The rationale you propose instead, however, is also premised on making people feel a certain way, whether that is congratulated (A student) or commiserated with (C student). In effect, your entire argument comes down to the idea that we should place greater weight on making the A students feel better, which will naturally come at the expense (or as you argue and I disagree with, benefit) of the C student. I don't see any reason why the A student should feel that he needs congratulations, but, with all the pressures of law school, debt, and future employment, I can certainly understand how the C student will be upset by his grades.


We should also add avoiding being an obnoxious person to avoiding hurting other people's feelings.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:03 pm

swc65 wrote:Oats, it's not tough to figure out. If you do well and blab, it will just remind others that they didn't do so well. Yes, this basically amounts to hurt feelings. But, what is wrong with avoiding hurting your classmates feelings?


You'll hurt their feelings once OCI comes around anyway...it's unavoidable then.
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:03 pm

Ended up with a 3.467 (A, B+, B in 4 credits, B+ LW, A LR). Median was 3.19 last semester at a T1 (15-30).

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:13 pm

.
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ashahid, Bing [Bot], weneedahealer and 4 guests