1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:09 am

clintonius wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:ITT quakeroats outs himself as somebody who doesn't understand social norms.

Didn't that happen a long time ago?


This is true. Maybe the best wording would have been "....reinforces his reputation as..."

Lawless25
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:30 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Lawless25 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:15 am

And Finally Crim Law grades are in for fordham night program....

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:39 am

Stanford4Me wrote:
dakatz wrote:
Seems that way. Hey quakeroats, why not buy a shirt one day to wear to your future job that has your salary on it? By your logic, the fact that you have a big office would give it away anyway, so why not just get it out in the open?

I'm hoping that quaker's lack of social prowess makes him/her unemployable.


Do you know who bragged about grades?

Corsair.

bomedtheLSAT101
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:38 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby bomedtheLSAT101 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:42 am

GATORTIM wrote:Although I knew that grading is a f'n dumpster fire, the arbitrariness is really crazy for the cluster of grades in the middle (for us 2.75 to 3.25). I think that scores of 3.25+ were certainly the best and those below 2.75 were likely dogshit exams; however, the difference among those in the mid-range is a joke



How did you do your first semester?

User avatar
GATORTIM
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby GATORTIM » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:22 am

bomedtheLSAT101 wrote:
GATORTIM wrote:Although I knew that grading is a f'n dumpster fire, the arbitrariness is really crazy for the cluster of grades in the middle (for us 2.75 to 3.25). I think that scores of 3.25+ were certainly the best and those below 2.75 were likely dogshit exams; however, the difference among those in the mid-range is a joke



How did you do your first semester?


not too bad, but not too good either - top third. I really need to tweak some habits this semester.

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby quakeroats » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:38 am

Helmholtz wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
kalvano wrote:
quakeroats wrote:There are plenty of times in life where you're (1) directly competing with others and (2) allowed to talk with them about how you've done and what you've accomplished. Why there and not here? What makes law school different than sports, business, or law?



Hmm. Maybe because there might very well come a time when you, who acted like a douchebag in law school and bragged about your grades, are sitting before a judge who just happens to be a law school classmate who didn't have such good grades and remembers you being a pompous ass?

Grades should be treated as a private matter. Unless someone asks, then tell them. If they don't want to hear the answer, they shouldn't ask the question.


Yes, but why? You've mentioned how bragging about grades could hurt you and concluded that they're private, but you haven't mentioned why talking (as opposed to bragging) about grades isn't appropriate (as opposed to whether it can hurt you which I'll grant you) when similar talk happens in the contexts I mentioned and even in law school with public information (law review, firm, moot court competitions, published work, etc.). Why should grades any different?


ITT quakeroats outs himself as somebody who doesn't understand social norms.


I understand them. I just don't like this particular one.

02122015
Posts: 5317
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:57 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby 02122015 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:39 am

One more day for us, apparently. Odds I sleep poorly tonight... pretty high.

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby quakeroats » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:44 am

keg411 wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
kalvano wrote:
quakeroats wrote:There are plenty of times in life where you're (1) directly competing with others and (2) allowed to talk with them about how you've done and what you've accomplished. Why there and not here? What makes law school different than sports, business, or law?



Hmm. Maybe because there might very well come a time when you, who acted like a douchebag in law school and bragged about your grades, are sitting before a judge who just happens to be a law school classmate who didn't have such good grades and remembers you being a pompous ass?

Grades should be treated as a private matter. Unless someone asks, then tell them. If they don't want to hear the answer, they shouldn't ask the question.


Yes, but why? You've mentioned how bragging about grades could hurt you and concluded that they're private, but you haven't mentioned why talking (as opposed to bragging) about grades isn't appropriate (as opposed to whether it can hurt you which I'll grant you) when similar talk happens in the contexts I mentioned and even in law school with public information (law review, firm, moot court competitions, published work, etc.). Why should grades any different?


Because we are on all on a curve and if you do well, it means someone else has to do badly. And doing badly in lawl skool can have huge consequences because of how expensive it is. A few grading points here or there can be the difference between 160k (or at least having flexibility with what you get to do at graduation) and 30k/unemployment.

I have probably been one of the worst offenders in this thread, but I still wouldn't go telling my classmates my grades in person (mainly because at least I'm semi-anonymous here) unless they asked or are my good friends that I talk about that kind of thing with.


How is that any different with law review? Making law review affects career prospects but is perfectly acceptable to talk about.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby traehekat » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:49 am

quakeroats wrote:How is that any different with law review? Making law review affects career prospects but is perfectly acceptable to talk about.


Isn't it generally known who is on law review, and thus who isn't on law law review?

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby quakeroats » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:56 am

traehekat wrote:
quakeroats wrote:How is that any different with law review? Making law review affects career prospects but is perfectly acceptable to talk about.


Isn't it generally known who is on law review, and thus who isn't on law law review?


Yes, which is my larger point. The only reason grades aren't talked about is because they aren't public knowledge so people have to start threads on TLS to get any real information about them. If the information is public nobody minds talking about it.

td6624
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby td6624 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:06 am

quakeroats wrote:
traehekat wrote:
quakeroats wrote:How is that any different with law review? Making law review affects career prospects but is perfectly acceptable to talk about.


Isn't it generally known who is on law review, and thus who isn't on law law review?


Yes, which is my larger point. The only reason grades aren't talked about is because they aren't public knowledge so people have to start threads on TLS to get any real information about them. If the information is public nobody minds talking about it.


uh, no shit?

i'll try to make an analogy. it's like kids who could potentially go on and on about how much money their dad makes. of course if they go on some sweet vacation, they're expected to share stories about it with friends when they get back. that doesn't mean they should be telling all of their friends all the time that their dad rakes in $10 million a year. if you cannot see this difference, then you really don't understand what's going on here.

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby swc65 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:28 am

My Ks professor sent an email at 1:30 this morning saying he submitted grades. I have changed my mind. I do not want any grades now. Please just take them back. I dont want to see it. It is going to be terrible, I just know it!

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby quakeroats » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:31 am

td6624 wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
traehekat wrote:
quakeroats wrote:How is that any different with law review? Making law review affects career prospects but is perfectly acceptable to talk about.


Isn't it generally known who is on law review, and thus who isn't on law law review?


Yes, which is my larger point. The only reason grades aren't talked about is because they aren't public knowledge so people have to start threads on TLS to get any real information about them. If the information is public nobody minds talking about it.


uh, no shit?

i'll try to make an analogy. it's like kids who could potentially go on and on about how much money their dad makes. of course if they go on some sweet vacation, they're expected to share stories about it with friends when they get back. that doesn't mean they should be telling all of their friends all the time that their dad rakes in $10 million a year. if you cannot see this difference, then you really don't understand what's going on here.


1. Going on and on is different than mentioning and being all right with discussing.
2. I think we can agree that social conventions aren't necessarily good. I'd just prefer more information over less here. Especially considering that publicly available proxies for grades make it pretty easy to get a general feel for how someone did.

td6624
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby td6624 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:58 am

I think most people would agree that this particular social convention is good.

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby quakeroats » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:24 am

td6624 wrote:I think most people would agree that this particular social convention is good.


If so, they sure are having trouble articulating good reasons for it. Hurt feelings are about it so far.
Last edited by quakeroats on Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
FlightoftheEarls
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:31 am

quakeroats wrote:I think we can agree that social conventions aren't necessarily good.

Nobody is disputing that. However, nobody but yourself seems to have trouble grasping why this one isn't an issue. Individuals on Law Review are discovered not through choice, but typically because a list of those who made it is circulated. Or because it affects their daily schedules/when they return to campus. In the case of Moot Court, the school circulates a list. Even book awards often comes out through a school-circulated list, so that's one situation where it isn't near as awkward. However, this isn't the case with most people's grades. It's entirely possible to make it all the way through law school without anyone knowing your grades - people can guess based on your firm, but nobody needs to know what you got in Civ Pro.

For example, many people on here from Michigan know who I am. For that reason, I will never share my grades on these boards, except in the rare circumstances where I may openly complain if/when I get poor ones. Not surprisingly, mentioning poor grades goes over much better than mentioning stellar grades - even if you say it in the same manner, people with not-so-great grades will feel that talking about good grades is simply a person boasting. Whether you feel that you're boasting or not is entirely irrelevant. If you're a person sitting on a significantly sub-median GPA and you hear somebody else talking about how they're around top 20%, it's going to sound like they're boasting. Whether they think they are just sharing objective facts is irrelevant to how their perceived.

User avatar
FlightoftheEarls
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:32 am

quakeroats wrote:
td6624 wrote:I think most people would agree that this particular social convention is good.


If so, they sure are having trouble articulating good reasons for it. Hurt feels are about it so far.

And why is hurt feelings not a perfectly legitimate reason for a social convention?

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:33 am

quakeroats wrote:1. Going on and on is different than mentioning and being all right with discussing.
2. I think we can agree that social conventions aren't necessarily good. I'd just prefer more information over less here. Especially considering that publicly available proxies for grades make it pretty easy to get a general feel for how someone did.

Would anyone in your office (at your last job) have minded if your boss had posted the payroll/salary/bonus of every person working?

Some information should simply not be public knowledge without the consent of the person it belongs to.

stayway
Posts: 1275
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:38 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby stayway » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:52 am

1. This wait is killing me
2. This wait is getting realllllllllllll old
3. I think my school is trying to fuck with my SA application process
4. 3 because I have some recommendations from profs due 21st and they'll only write when grades come out.
5. My school is filled with bunch of bastards.
6. Yes, I'm livid.

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby swc65 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:04 pm

nooyyllib wrote:1. This wait is killing me
2. This wait is getting realllllllllllll old
3. I think my school is trying to fuck with my SA application process
4. 3 because I have some recommendations from profs due 21st and they'll only write when grades come out.
5. My school is filled with bunch of bastards.
6. Yes, I'm livid.



My grade has been posted for two hours and i seriously cannot look. I have never felt more like a pussy!

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7249
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby beach_terror » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:06 pm

swc65 wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:1. This wait is killing me
2. This wait is getting realllllllllllll old
3. I think my school is trying to fuck with my SA application process
4. 3 because I have some recommendations from profs due 21st and they'll only write when grades come out.
5. My school is filled with bunch of bastards.
6. Yes, I'm livid.



My grade has been posted for two hours and i seriously cannot look. I have never felt more like a pussy!

Just do it, bitch. Then come brag about your A.

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby swc65 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:15 pm

beach_terror wrote:
swc65 wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:1. This wait is killing me
2. This wait is getting realllllllllllll old
3. I think my school is trying to fuck with my SA application process
4. 3 because I have some recommendations from profs due 21st and they'll only write when grades come out.
5. My school is filled with bunch of bastards.
6. Yes, I'm livid.



My grade has been posted for two hours and i seriously cannot look. I have never felt more like a pussy!

Just do it, bitch. Then come brag about your A.


Yeah, I finally did and it was an A for Ks. Im totally friggin shocked.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7249
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby beach_terror » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:17 pm

swc65 wrote:Yeah, I finally did and it was an A for Ks. Im totally friggin shocked.

Just so you know, I just died a little bit inside.

stayway
Posts: 1275
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:38 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby stayway » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:20 pm

swc65 wrote:Yeah, I finally did and it was an A for Ks. Im totally friggin shocked.


That's it. if I get a notification that my grades are posted, I'm not going to check for 2 hours. Maybe I'll get some A's and be shocked. (damn you and congrats)

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby swc65 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:21 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
swc65 wrote:Yeah, I finally did and it was an A for Ks. Im totally friggin shocked.


That's it. if I get a notification that my grades are posted, I'm not going to check for 2 hours. Maybe I'll get some A's and be shocked. (damn you and congrats)



Thanks!




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CharlieAvocado, gwcolonial24, m052310, shineoncrazydiamond, wg6524, Yahoo [Bot] and 14 guests