1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
quakeroats

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby quakeroats » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:34 pm

beach_terror wrote:
quakeroats wrote:

There are plenty of times in life where you're (1) directly competing with others and (2) allowed to talk with them about how you've done and what you've accomplished. Why there and not here? What makes law school different than sports, business, or law?

Presumably a lot of these people are you friends for one. Second, there's no reason to rub anyone's face in the mud because someone has to finish at the bottom, and thankfully it wasn't you.

The reason as far as I can see is that grades aren't publicized anymore whereas similar factors which are ok to talk about (law Review, publishing, firm you work for) are generally public knowledge.

yo!

Postby yo! » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:34 pm

The professor said LRW grades would be up tonight...they are not. I now want to smash something.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:41 pm

nygrrrl wrote:The grade wait has Grades killed my spirit. :?

Ftfm. I would gladly give them back. :cry:

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:42 pm

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:
clintonius wrote:That funky warning went away on my screen, and it now says that those are my final grades (no change). Overall, I feel pretty good. Could have done better, especially in Civ Pro, but I'm ok.
Do you have all grades then?
Yeah, Civ Pro was the last one remaining, and it came in this evening. Lawyering still isn't in, but that really doesn't matter.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:51 pm

keg411 wrote: but I would have posted on here if I didn't do well (in fact, I'd probably have one of those "should I drop out" threads :lol:).

I thought about that for a second, but then I realized I'd be much happier in PI law or in a government position than I would at my old career. The worst that can happen is 10 years of debt and then you're free without having to sell your soul to biglaw. Not gonna lie, though, biglaw is still my goal...it'd be nice to pay off debt in 5 years rather than 10, and save up for a decent down payment on a house.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:56 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:

I'm sorry, NB.

For me, I'll man up and own whatever I get... but I just want to GET THEM so that I can learn from last
semester and make adjustments, where necessary.
Dammit.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:11 pm

quakeroats wrote:There are plenty of times in life where you're (1) directly competing with others and (2) allowed to talk with them about how you've done and what you've accomplished. Why there and not here? What makes law school different than sports, business, or law?

Hmm. Maybe because there might very well come a time when you, who acted like a douchebag in law school and bragged about your grades, are sitting before a judge who just happens to be a law school classmate who didn't have such good grades and remembers you being a pompous ass?

Grades should be treated as a private matter. Unless someone asks, then tell them. If they don't want to hear the answer, they shouldn't ask the question.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:21 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:

I'm sorry, NB.

For me, I'll man up and own whatever I get... but I just want to GET THEM so that I can learn from last
semester and make adjustments
, where necessary.
Dammit.

My thoughts exactly. it is weird starting a new semester and not knowing if what I did last semester worked or if I need to switch it up. It's tough to plan or decide on study habits/methods when I have no idea how I did. Grades won't really tell me the whole story until I get to go over my exams either. It is awful to go several weeks into a new semester having no idea if you methods were effective.

forza

Postby forza » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:32 pm

clintonius wrote:
clintonius wrote:That funky warning went away on my screen, and it now says that those are my final grades (no change). Overall, I feel pretty good. Could have done better, especially in Civ Pro, but I'm ok.
Yeah, Civ Pro was the last one remaining, and it came in this evening. Lawyering still isn't in, but that really doesn't matter.

--ImageRemoved--

j nyc

Postby j nyc » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:36 pm

swc65 wrote:My thoughts exactly. it is weird starting a new semester and not knowing if what I did last semester worked or if I need to switch it up. It's tough to plan or decide on study habits/methods when I have no idea how I did. Grades won't really tell me the whole story until I get to go over my exams either. It is awful to go several weeks into a new semester having no idea if you methods were effective.

+1
... i can't focus.
waiting on 2/3.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:10 am

(Very) Belated congratulations to Keg!! Great job!

Also, you probably did way better than I did

swc65

Postby swc65 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:14 am

j nyc wrote:
swc65 wrote:My thoughts exactly. it is weird starting a new semester and not knowing if what I did last semester worked or if I need to switch it up. It's tough to plan or decide on study habits/methods when I have no idea how I did. Grades won't really tell me the whole story until I get to go over my exams either. It is awful to go several weeks into a new semester having no idea if you methods were effective.

+1
... i can't focus.
waiting on 2/3.

waiting on 4/4.....

swc65

Postby swc65 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:15 am

forza wrote:
clintonius wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

LoL I love this pic

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:22 am

Love that picture too.

Just to put this in perspective for those still waiting for grades: My school has begun to hand back exams this week.

The glacial pace of grade return for 1Ls is atrocious in this thread.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:26 am

kalvano wrote:
quakeroats wrote:There are plenty of times in life where you're (1) directly competing with others and (2) allowed to talk with them about how you've done and what you've accomplished. Why there and not here? What makes law school different than sports, business, or law?

Hmm. Maybe because there might very well come a time when you, who acted like a douchebag in law school and bragged about your grades, are sitting before a judge who just happens to be a law school classmate who didn't have such good grades and remembers you being a pompous ass?

Grades should be treated as a private matter. Unless someone asks, then tell them. If they don't want to hear the answer, they shouldn't ask the question.

Yes, but why? You've mentioned how bragging about grades could hurt you and concluded that they're private, but you haven't mentioned why talking (as opposed to bragging) about grades isn't appropriate (as opposed to whether it can hurt you which I'll grant you) when similar talk happens in the contexts I mentioned and even in law school with public information (law review, firm, moot court competitions, published work, etc.). Why should grades any different?

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:36 am

Although I knew that grading is a f'n dumpster fire, the arbitrariness is really crazy for the cluster of grades in the middle (for us 2.75 to 3.25). I think that scores of 3.25+ were certainly the best and those below 2.75 were likely dogshit exams; however, the difference among those in the mid-range is a joke

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:42 am

quakeroats wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Yes, but why? You've mentioned how bragging about grades could hurt you and concluded that they're private, but you haven't mentioned why talking (as opposed to bragging) about grades isn't appropriate (as opposed to whether it can hurt you which I'll grant you) when similar talk happens in the contexts I mentioned and even in law school with public information (law review, firm, moot court competitions, published work, etc.). Why should grades any different?

Because, as odd a concept as it may seem to you, there is something to be said for not going out of your way to hurt other peoples' feelings. In my section, which I would guess is representative of any other, we have a close-knit dynamic. We are together all the time. We are happy together and sad together. Given our shared experience, my first instinct is to raise the spirits of my classmates. That is why it is so foreign to me to actively go out of my way to speak about grades, which I know will only hurt many of my classmates. Again, if the personal feelings of your classmates mean nothing to you, then by all means, talk away about your grades.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:50 am

quakeroats wrote:
kalvano wrote:

ITT quakeroats outs himself as somebody who doesn't understand social norms.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:53 am

missinglink wrote:Love that picture too.

Just to put this in perspective for those still waiting for grades: My school has begun to hand back exams this week.

The glacial pace of grade return for 1Ls is atrocious in this thread.

Yeah, I feel really bad for folks. Our last grade came back Tuesday, and I was definitely complaining.

Our Torts prof read every 4 hour exam twice and grades were back in 3.5 weeks.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:54 am

quakeroats wrote:Yes, but why? You've mentioned how bragging about grades could hurt you and concluded that they're private, but you haven't mentioned why talking (as opposed to bragging) about grades isn't appropriate (as opposed to whether it can hurt you which I'll grant you) when similar talk happens in the contexts I mentioned and even in law school with public information (law review, firm, moot court competitions, published work, etc.). Why should grades any different?

Dook must be a world unto itself.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:55 am

Helmholtz wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
kalvano wrote:

ITT quakeroats outs himself as somebody who doesn't understand social norms.

Seems that way. Hey quakeroats, why not buy a shirt one day to wear to your future job that has your salary on it? By your logic, the fact that you have a big office would give it away anyway, so why not just get it out in the open?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:57 am

GeePee wrote:(Very) Belated congratulations to Keg!! Great job!

Also, you probably did way better than I did

Aw, thanks GeePee :oops: .

And you are at H... I am jealous of that no matter how you did :).

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:06 am

quakeroats wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Because we are on all on a curve and if you do well, it means someone else has to do badly. And doing badly in lawl skool can have huge consequences because of how expensive it is. A few grading points here or there can be the difference between 160k (or at least having flexibility with what you get to do at graduation) and 30k/unemployment.

I have probably been one of the worst offenders in this thread, but I still wouldn't go telling my classmates my grades in person (mainly because at least I'm semi-anonymous here) unless they asked or are my good friends that I talk about that kind of thing with.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:39 am

dakatz wrote:
Seems that way. Hey quakeroats, why not buy a shirt one day to wear to your future job that has your salary on it? By your logic, the fact that you have a big office would give it away anyway, so why not just get it out in the open?

I'm hoping that quaker's lack of social prowess makes him/her unemployable.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:56 am

Helmholtz wrote:ITT quakeroats outs himself as somebody who doesn't understand social norms.

Didn't that happen a long time ago?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”