1L grade waiting thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bostonian

Bronze

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Post by bostonian » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:55 am

smokyroom26 wrote:I'm glad to see that so many others are having dreams about grades, lol...

Had one last night. Received a D in LRW, C in Property, B in Contracts, and A+ in Civ Pro. Get out of my subconscious, law school!
I had a dream that I got a C on my final memo in legal writing....oh wait, that was the email I got from my professor today.

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:13 am

Sogui wrote:Checking in, glad to see OP is still such a cool guy

Forums are for opinions, that's all I ever express. I based my opinions on exam prep based on what a 2L on our law review discussed with me, my ungraded experience reinforced that opinion.

Still, nice to see OP giving us such a great public service - shine on you crazy diamond.

I dunno dude, you seemed pretty intent on giving advice, rather than opinions, and the "consensus,"(which was the consensus of you and some chick at Columbia) rather than what "might work for you."

Either way, hopefully we can find out if it worked out for you.

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:55 am

stinger35 wrote:

Forums are for opinions, that's all I ever express. I based my opinions on exam prep based on what a 2L on our law review discussed with me, my ungraded experience reinforced that opinion.

Still, nice to see OP giving us such a great public service - shine on you crazy diamond.

I dunno dude, you seemed pretty intent on giving advice, rather than opinions, and the "consensus,"(which was the consensus of you and some chick at Columbia) rather than what "might work for you."

Either way, hopefully we can find out if it worked out for you.
I use stronger language when I feel more confident. I gave the advice that rang true for my conditions, I suppose if you have a shitty professor or you don't have any understanding of the law then you should refer to a hornbook as a "side-arm".

Nobody does that though, and hence I suspect they waste their time poring through 300 pages of material they will never be tested on, if they are tested on it - it will be in the class notes using the language and perspective of the person grading the damn answer

Even if I come up short on grades, I think that my last-minute outlining and lack of practice testing would be the cause-in-fact of those shortcomings. It was never my "knowledge" of answers that was the problem. Every question I hit I had enough information from my notes to write for twice the time limit, it was always the more practical restraints of time & word limits and my inexperience in rationing those limitations that cost me

The law isn't that confusing, only the current state of the Erie Doctrine (after Shady Grove earlier this year) and the state of personal jurisdiction (after Asahi) really left me scratching my head about where the law stood. It's no coincidence these were both plurality decisions in the Supreme Court that didn't resolve any of the meaty issues.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:07 am

Hey you're welcome dude. I appreciate the recognition and you dropping by.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:26 am

Sogui I see what you're saying but think about this - I HATE sitting in a chair and listening to people talk. It bores the living fuck out of me. My original plan was to use class time to organize notes and listen to the general direction of the class so i would know what to read in a supplement when I got home. And this worked out fairly well but was inefficient. So, I then adopted a more hybrid strategy that depended on the teacher.

In Civ Pro, I could not afford to not take notes. Our Civ Pro teacher was engaging (so he often distracted me) and just a super smart dude who made me not hate sitting in my chair. So, I listened and took tons of notes and in the end barely needed the E&E for a class where its almost always helpful (I did use it, especially to help study at the end).

In Torts, the woman's class was worthless. She set things up so reading extra outside of class would help you get ahead. She had the E&E on reserve in the library. I took the hint and read mine during class or at home and used it to aid my outline.

Property, I needed to adopt a hybrid here. His lectures were 1/2 boring 1/2 a lot of fun. Inside of those lectures, about 10-15% was quite useful and I wish I had paid attention better. The other much larger portion was brutal to sit through. Even in the small useful portion he didn't flesh out the reading, instead he he added more BLL to it - by lecture. So, if I was confused I often used a small volume that he suggested to fill in the blanks.

All in all, my point is that in 3 different classes, I used 3 different strategies where I used a variance of hornbook and lecture based on my individual needs. If you can do everything I did by sitting there and paying attention and reading your casebook, more power to ya. I still had plenty of time throughout the semester to enjoy myself, so I don't regret any strategy i used.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:23 pm

Professor sent me an unrelated email yesterday, asking me to do a favor for him and indicating that he could ask this now that he's finished grading Torts 2010. Also said it was a pleasure having me in class - with my grade in hand, I'd be mighty pissed if these comments accompanied a B+ :cry: .

Most terrifying thing is that I now know this grade is going to be posted at some point today. Almost like waiting for the LSAT. :?

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:41 pm

Mixed bag of emotions there.

I got a question for everyone, when you check your grades and don't see them there are you...

A) Relieved
...or
B) Disappointed?

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:48 pm

Kobe_Teeth wrote:Mixed bag of emotions there.

I got a question for everyone, when you check your grades and don't see them there are you...

A) Relieved
...or
B) Disappointed?
B), totally. I worked hard - I want to see how I fared.
(Don't get me wrong: I don't expect to see any As in there - I just want to know.)

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:18 pm

Sogui wrote:
I use stronger language when I feel more confident. I gave the advice that rang true for my conditions, I suppose if you have a shitty professor or you don't have any understanding of the law then you should refer to a hornbook as a "side-arm".

Nobody does that though, and hence I suspect they waste their time poring through 300 pages of material they will never be tested on, if they are tested on it - it will be in the class notes using the language and perspective of the person grading the damn answer

Even if I come up short on grades, I think that my last-minute outlining and lack of practice testing would be the cause-in-fact of those shortcomings. It was never my "knowledge" of answers that was the problem. Every question I hit I had enough information from my notes to write for twice the time limit, it was always the more practical restraints of time & word limits and my inexperience in rationing those limitations that cost me

The law isn't that confusing, only the current state of the Erie Doctrine (after Shady Grove earlier this year) and the state of personal jurisdiction (after Asahi) really left me scratching my head about where the law stood. It's no coincidence these were both plurality decisions in the Supreme Court that didn't resolve any of the meaty issues.
Three things:
1) A supplement is not meant to be pored over independent of what you are covering in class. The only class I used an outside supplement for was Con Law, and I did not read Cherminsky front to back. What I did do was look up the section or the cases we were covering for the next week in class in our syllabus, and then read those pages first before reading our casebook.
2) You say the law isn't confusing, but trying learning con law from a shitty (at least for beginners) casebook. The casebook covered the background of sovereign immunity in like 4 sentences, and spent only a few words on Alden v. Maine, Seminole Tribe, etc. Guess what? Our professor expected us to understand everything about this background and how they all interconnect in the next class period.
3) Different things work for different people, esp taking the different structure of classes and different professors into account.
You are coming across as way too cocky, seeing as you have zero grades in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jackie O

Bronze

Post by Jackie O » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:23 pm

D. H2Oman wrote: weee- "No predictions, but if I'm top 1/3 the whole thread gets my entire stash of NYGRRRL pictures"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A(+) in con law - professor is sorta out of it so she'll like that my final was far below the word limit

Gamecubesupreme

Bronze

Post by Gamecubesupreme » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:27 pm

Finally figured out that I missed something big on my torts final.

I knew that question was too easy to not have a trick to it.

Fuck me.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:34 pm

Law school dreams EVERY night.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:37 pm

Jackie O wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote: weee- "No predictions, but if I'm top 1/3 the whole thread gets my entire stash of NYGRRRL pictures"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A(+) in con law - professor is sorta out of it so she'll like that my final was far below the word limit
:lol: :lol: :lol: H20guy (And Jackie, for half a second I thought that was your actual grade!)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:09 pm

got an email from the school stating we'd get our grades in the 12th.

oh god...thats 2 days after the semester starts. so basically, first you stress out from work, then you stress out from exams, then you stress out from how you did on exams, and then, before that stress can die down, lather, rinse, repeat...

I wouldve enjoyed a weekend without stressing out over law schl.

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:36 pm

Got my Ks grade back... below median. Harder than I've ever worked to study for any exam, ever.

feelsbadman.jpg

SmittenMitten

Bronze

Post by SmittenMitten » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:42 pm

TCScrutinizer wrote:Got my Ks grade back... below median. Harder than I've ever worked to study for any exam, ever.

feelsbadman.jpg
:shock: :shock:

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:03 pm

TCScrutinizer wrote:Got my Ks grade back... below median. Harder than I've ever worked to study for any exam, ever.

feelsbadman.jpg
:( :( :(

Sorry TCS.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:19 pm

keg411 wrote:

feelsbadman.jpg
:( :( :(

Sorry TCS.
+1

This doesn't make me feel any better about what my grades are going to end up being.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:20 pm

feelsbadman.jpg
That sucks :( sorry. Any idea what might have happened?

Look on the bright side, you have 3 other grades (or 4) to balance this one out

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:21 pm

feelsbadman.jpg
hug

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:11 pm

goosey wrote:Look on the bright side, you have 3 other grades (or 4) to balance this one out
Actually, we only have 2 more grades to balance it out.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:12 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
goosey wrote:Look on the bright side, you have 3 other grades (or 4) to balance this one out
You're a cool lady, NB, but man, that was straight depressing.

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:13 pm

rad law wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:
You're a cool lady, NB, but man, that was straight depressing.
Yeah, no shit. Why do you think TCS and I are so bummed?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:27 pm

You guys only had 3 classes at UIUC this semester? Do you have more next semester to balance it out? If that's the case, then it's not so bad since you guys will have another semester with more classes to recover.

And believe me, I think it's likely that I'll be joining y'all in the below-median club when we get our grades after the new year (and my school is far worse than UIUC).

soaponarope

Bronze

Post by soaponarope » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:40 pm

Earlier today I received my first grade!!!! A+ in torts!!! Woot Woot! I left that test feeling like I scored a B-/C+.

Hopefully this is an omen for my other classes... I pretty much left with the thought that my 1st semester grades would be straight C's with a B in one or two classes.

Question: I'm still in shock over my grade. Is there any chance it is a mistake? I keep expecting to get an email/apology about inserting the wrong grade.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”