1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Doritos

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Doritos » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:26 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
Doritos wrote:For you people with all your grades back, when did you take your exams?

First exam December 6, last one the 16th. Our grades were due Monday and were all released at once.

Yeah, thats what I thought. I took mine same time as you and have ONE grade. They aren't due for another 2 weeks...

J-tow10

Postby J-tow10 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:58 am

Melkaba wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Congrats, that's a good start. I'd recommend talking to T and M (especially T) about how you can improve your exams for next semester.

Yeah, I'll probably end up doing that, even though T kinda scares me some times.

But man, it's just weird to be in that "not quite 1/3rd, but still above median" kind of position. Is this necessarily "/self, you'll get no jerbs" territory or just "meh" territory?

Umm, I know how you feel exactly. After checking out the cut-offs from last fall it looks like I'll miss the top 1/3 cut-off by like .5 :( That is unless I were to get like a 97 in LP...which is not possible. I wonder what cut-off firms will be willing to consider from our school next fall.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:59 am

Bedsole wrote:del, where do you go to school?

Emorytown, but if anything this is a matter of finding the standard deviation and isn't really dependant on school

it definitely won't be perfect, because that would require a regular distribution, so it will fall apart near the top where 1-2 students can mess up the distribution more the farther out in the tails you get. But it should be reasonably accurate.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:01 am

delBarco wrote:

Emorytown, but if anything this is a matter of finding the standard deviation and isn't really dependant on school

it definitely won't be perfect, because that would require a regular distribution, so it will fall apart near the top where 1-2 students can mess up the distribution more the farther out in the tails you get. But it should be reasonably accurate.

PM'd you my details, del

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:27 am

Bedsole wrote:
delBarco wrote:

PM'd you my details, del

donezo.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:36 am

Bedsole wrote:How do you guys feel about a school that doesn't do class rank at all? Pitt does grade bands. I like it for employment reasons, kind of, but it feels like a really fuzzy means of comparison when I am trying to figure out how well I am doing compared to others. In any case, I kind of like it... what about TLS?

Have I been under a rock? Where are these grade bands you speak of?

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:42 am

On January 5th I received a grade of which I will not announce on TLS. (it wasn't a C but I'm still not happy about it). I have been making myself sick ever since and I just finally received another grade, Torts, my arch nemesis.

A-

I don't have to /self.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:47 am

Kobe_Teeth wrote:On January 5th I received a grade of which I will not announce on TLS. (it wasn't a C but I'm still not happy about it). I have been making myself sick ever since and I just finally received another grade, Torts, my arch nemesis.

A-

I don't have to /self.

Showing off your good grades but not disclosing the bad ones? Not cool.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:48 am

Stanford4Me wrote:Showing off your good grades but not disclosing the bad ones? Not cool.

Seriously, I got 3 C+'s and a B- and i'm proud of it!

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:51 am

BarbellDreams wrote:
Bedsole wrote:How do you guys feel about a school that doesn't do class rank at all? Pitt does grade bands. I like it for employment reasons, kind of, but it feels like a really fuzzy means of comparison when I am trying to figure out how well I am doing compared to others. In any case, I kind of like it... what about TLS?

--LinkRemoved--

The links on the right make it bigger. Additionally, --LinkRemoved-- shows the top 10% and 25% as of the graduating class of 2009. Not perfect for our distribution, but it should be close.

As of graduating class of 2009:
Top 10%: 3.616
Top 25%: 3.425

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:52 am

Well then, I apologize. I would go edit but Stanford already quoted me.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:02 am

delBarco wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:Showing off your good grades but not disclosing the bad ones? Not cool.

You got grades?

Compaq1984

Postby Compaq1984 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:03 am

Bedsole wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

The links on the right make it bigger. Additionally, --LinkRemoved-- shows the top 10% and 25% as of the graduating class of 2009. Not perfect for our distribution, but it should be close.

not representative of 1L ranks... this is graduate gpa/rankings...fyi

check out grade distributions on pitt law web...best available info

kxz

Postby kxz » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:13 am

At least today was the last day for faculty to turn in grades for my school.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:27 am

romothesavior wrote:
delBarco wrote:

You got grades?

lolno

I'd be spread out over 30 feet of sidewalk right now if those were my grades.

mths

Postby mths » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:47 am

delBarco wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
delBarco wrote:

You got grades?

lolno

:lol:

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:56 am

kxz wrote:At least today was the last day for faculty to turn in grades for my school.

Law professors think they are above the rules, and you have no way of enforcing that deadline.

js87

Postby js87 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:50 am

JazzOne wrote:
kxz wrote:At least today was the last day for faculty to turn in grades for my school.

Law professors think they are above the rules, and you have no way of enforcing that deadline.

Apparently my school got sick of professors ignoring the deadline for grade posting and now fines professors for each day they are late.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:02 pm

js87 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Apparently my school got sick of professors ignoring the deadline for grade posting and now fines professors for each day they are late.

My school claims to do that too, but they have an exception for "extraordinary circumstances," and when a professor is late, Student Affairs isn't about to share the reasons with students. So, the deadline means very little, at least at my school. Professors are routinely late.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:17 pm

delBarco wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
delBarco wrote:

You got grades?

lolno

:lol: Yeah I figured... just making sure.

uzpakalis

Postby uzpakalis » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:18 pm

Compaq1984 wrote:
Bedsole wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

not representative of 1L ranks... this is graduate gpa/rankings...fyi

How do 1L rankings compare to graduation rankings?

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:24 pm

uzpakalis wrote:How do 1L rankings compare to graduation rankings?

Overall GPAs at graduation are usually a little higher than after the first year, because students have more of an opportunity to take classes where there aren't strictly forced curves, classes they might excel more at, etc. How this applies to specific schools and individual students varies, but it's common to expect that the "cut off" GPAs for various percentiles will move up slightly by graduation.

uzpakalis

Postby uzpakalis » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:00 pm

California Babe wrote:
uzpakalis wrote:How do 1L rankings compare to graduation rankings?

Overall GPAs at graduation are usually a little higher than after the first year, because students have more of an opportunity to take classes where there aren't strictly forced curves, classes they might excel more at, etc. How this applies to specific schools and individual students varies, but it's common to expect that the "cut off" GPAs for various percentiles will move up slightly by graduation.

That is what I figured. So, it is likely that a GPA that is slightly below the top 10% cut off at graduation, may actually be within the top 10% cut off after first semester of 1L.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:07 pm

Compaq1984 wrote:not representative of 1L ranks... this is graduate gpa/rankings...fyi

Yeah, I listed the distributions on that post first for that very reason. It's just a way to have some numbers to play around with.

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:23 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:so it seems cls is basically the last school in the universe to release grades.

out of curiosity, did all of you who have received grades already restart classes at your school? did you exams finish before dec 20?

Done with exams on the 17th. No grades. Class started this week. I think they release grades all at once. Earliest I've heard is next week, latest is by the end of the month I believe.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”