1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bomedtheLSAT101

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby bomedtheLSAT101 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:04 pm

great... so im not the only one in line for the post office job.

Postby 98234872348 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:07 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I hope the army needs engineers.

You all joke, but just wait. I'm sure you did better than I did.

Having already received my grades, I REALLY should have taken that job.

:(

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:13 pm

mistergoft wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I hope the army needs engineers.

You all joke, but just wait. I'm sure you did better than I did.

Having already received my grades, I REALLY should have taken that job.

:(

Yeah, I'm a dumb.

plum

Postby plum » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:14 pm

rad law wrote:fap all day

TCR,

Postby 98234872348 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:15 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:Yeah, I'm a dumb.

Join teh club.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:16 pm

mistergoft wrote:

Join teh club.

:? Didn't you make LR?

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:23 pm

romothesavior wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:lot of smaller law firms don't care about GPA as much. if you're fine making 50-60k a year doing shiTTTlaw, then GPA probably doesn't matter that much. what school range?

You've been in law school long enough to know that 50-60k is neither shitlaw, nor even remotely easy to get, especially at a lower tiered school.

(a) I think that depends on who you are. I, personally, could do fine from almost anywhere** at any percentile. but some people couldn't find shit if their life depended on it;

(b) to me anything paying less than 90k and/or not involving prestigious work is shiTTTlaw;

and (c) I don't care that my views fail to confirm with the majority. I think going to lawl school and being in the bottom 1% could make sense -- IF you have some sort of plan. Just to bumble through, yeah that's probably not going to work well. But to say: your in X percentile, drop out -- that doesn't make any sense either. you have to look at each person unique situation.

** maybe not Coastal, but that the question presented.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:26 pm

Is Skadden okay with median GWUBUST.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:26 pm

gwuorbust wrote:(b) to me anything paying less than 90k and/or not involving prestigious work is shiTTTlaw;

I do hope you realize this is an incredibly pretentious view and you're insulting at least 2/3s of the posters on TLS.

bomedtheLSAT101

Postby bomedtheLSAT101 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:27 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Is Skadden okay with median GWUBUST.

isn't GWU median at like 3.3??

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:30 pm

romothesavior wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:(b) to me anything paying less than 90k and/or not involving prestigious work is shiTTTlaw;

I do hope you realize this is an incredibly pretentious view and you're insulting at least half of the posters on TLS.

I'm talking for myself brah, not what it is for anyoner. personally, I wouldn't take anything paying less than 90k cause it doesn't make financial sense. that is all. obv 90k is a great job for most people and is to be commended as a great find.

honestly, each person is going to have a different minimum floor. Someone from the top of HLS is going to think that a 90k job is not good enough for them either. everything come down to each persons individual situation. that is why generalizations fail.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:32 pm

bomedtheLSAT101 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Is Skadden okay with median GWUBUST.

isn't GWU median at like 3.3??

Yeah like I said months ago, the mods shoulda intervened and changed "gwuorbust's" name to "bust"

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:33 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I do hope you realize this is an incredibly pretentious view and you're insulting at least half of the posters on TLS.

personally, I wouldn't take anything paying less than 90k cause it doesn't make financial sense.

Luckily for you, you won't have to worry about "taking" much less being offered a job paying 90k or less from median at Tulane...
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:33 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I'm talking for myself brah, not what it is for anyoner. personally, I wouldn't take anything paying less than 90k cause it doesn't make financial sense. that is all. obv 90k is a great job for most people and is to be commended as a great find.

honestly, each person is going to have a different minimum floor. Someone from the top of HLS is going to think that a 90k job is not good enough for them either. everything come down to each persons individual situation. that is why generalizations fail.

do you have three kids already or something

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:35 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I'd be a little more understanding of a TOP HLS grad thinking a 90k salary isn't high enough. My situation, as well as yours (if you really are median @ GW), probably requires less pretentious expectations.

Edited: I see you go to Tulane.
Last edited by JordynAsh on Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:36 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Yeah, to each their own, but the condescending, pretentious, "shitttlaw" comments aren't really necessary. Especially when talking about good jobs in the 60k range. What public servants like PDs, prosecutors, and PI people do is not "shitlaw," and I know tons of people who work in what you'd call "shitttlaw" private firm jobs and they love what they do.

You may not be interested in those jobs, and that's fine. But pissing and moaning about making less than 90k and calling it shit is just insulting to all the people who you know both IRL and on TLS who are going to be working those jobs.

seespotrun

Postby seespotrun » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:37 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

personally, I wouldn't take anything paying less than 90k cause it doesn't make financial sense.

Luckily for you, you won't have to worry about "taking" much less being offered a job paying 90k or less from median at Tulane...

Although I disagree with the snarky tone of Aqua's post, I do agree that you have a tough road to hoe in finding your "threshold" job.

Headybrah

Postby Headybrah » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:42 pm

how u know you r median already GWU?

you could kill it 2nd cemester

if you got up to a 3.5 perhaps u will make good

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:42 pm

seespotrun wrote:
Although I disagree with the snarky tone of Aqua's post, I do agree that you have a tough road to hoe in finding your "threshold" job.

I offered this very same poster words of encouragement not two pages ago in this thread. Then he goes and says something idiotic like this. If he was being sarcastic, I'm sorry for being snarky...It's hard to read sarcasm on the internet.

What I said is true though, I don't know how in tune with things he is at Tulane, but I know a lot of 2L's and 3L's that would love to have an offer that leads to a 60k job. Most of them have better grades than him.

Also, in light of the fact that the top paying firms in the city where his school is located pay 100k, it's especially silly to poopoo on a 90k job. Again though, maybe we've all just misread the sarcasm.
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:43 pm

This thread is pro snark, all snark is encouraged.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:43 pm

romothesavior wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Yeah, to each their own, but the condescending, pretentious, "shitttlaw" comments aren't really necessary. Especially when talking about good jobs in the 60k range. What public servants like PDs, prosecutors, and PI people do is not "shitlaw," and I know tons of people who work in what you'd call "shitttlaw" private firm jobs and they love what they do.

You may not be interested in those jobs, and that's fine. But pissing and moaning about making less than 90k and calling it shit is just insulting to all the people who you know both IRL and on TLS who are going to be working those jobs.

I said 90k or not prestigious. I think PDs, prosecutors, and PI all fall into prestigious. While I wouldn't work in those positions, I think they are commendable.

seespotrun

Postby seespotrun » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:48 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:This thread is pro snark, all snark is encouraged.

You're the boss.

*pours salt into everyone's wounds*

Postby 98234872348 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:49 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
mistergoft wrote:

Join teh club.

I am an editor... :lol:

Postby 02122015 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:52 pm

mistergoft wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:
mistergoft wrote:

Join teh club.

I am an editor... :lol:

My property prof this semester is visiting from your school...

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:55 pm

gwuorbust wrote: I wouldn't take anything paying less than 90k cause it doesn't make financial sense

It makes more financial sense to be unemployed than to accept a job under 90k? Mind bottling.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”