1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
somewhatwayward

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:36 pm

another day gone by and still nothing.....le sigh

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:38 pm

uzpakalis wrote:All of the prep, hard work, and waiting.......is totally worth it right now!!!! :D

Are you on crack? If so, please share. The wait is killing me.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:38 pm

woah double
Last edited by beach_terror on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
joshlyman wrote:Any sense on what the rankings are like when the curve is 3.0?
My school's "statement on grade normalization" says that 1L has a mandated
curve range of 2.95-3.05. I saw someone earlier on the thread say that 3.2
is around where top third starts is that right? Im at a T2 that's strong in the
immediate region hovering around a 3.2 just trying to stay above the fray.

Do you really think that anyone can tell you what GPA equals what rank when the only information you've given them is that your school curves to about a 3.0?

If law students knew statistics they wouldn't take out 200K to attend St. Johns.

lol. best thing I heard/read all day

but then, I spent most of the day reading and re-reading my con law casebook bc I couldnt figure out wth it was about..3rd time around, reading carefully, I finally got it. this class will suck.

Joan Hollaway

Postby Joan Hollaway » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:06 pm

blowhard wrote:Finally got one grade... :roll:

So did IJKL, us in MNOP are still waiting. I'm kinda okay with the wait though.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:09 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
RVP11 wrote:

Do you really think that anyone can tell you what GPA equals what rank when the only information you've given them is that your school curves to about a 3.0?

If law students knew statistics they wouldn't take out 200K to attend St. Johns.

TBF it's still impossible because you don't know what the standard deviation is, and you can't proxy it or derive it without a second data point to work with.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:11 pm

delBarco wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
RVP11 wrote:

TBF it's still impossible because you don't know what the standard deviation is, and you can't proxy it or derive it without a second data point to work with.

Yea but they'd have to know stats to know that.

Also there is no reason to assume a Gaussian distribution anyway.

dudders

Postby dudders » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:14 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
You should have written: Indians have no property rights. See Johnson v. M'Intosh.

a+

abudaba

Postby abudaba » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:18 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Question: Where are all the T2/TTT/TTTT kids who were confident they could finish in the top 10% at their school because they got waitlisted or accepted at higher ranked schools/were confident in their ability to succeed in law school despite their less than stellar undergraduate track record?

checking back for your callout - 4 grades back, A-, A-, A, B (waiting on one more)

got the same number of A's in my first semester of law school as in my 4 years in college... god I miss college :lol:

curve is 2.6-2.8. No rankings yet but if I were in last years class I would be right around 7%

so as long as my last grade isnt a wtfer my confidence was affirmed :twisted:

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:37 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:Question: Where are all the T2/TTT/TTTT kids who were confident they could finish in the top 10% at their school because they got waitlisted or accepted at higher ranked schools/were confident in their ability to succeed in law school despite their less than stellar undergraduate track record?

I get my grades next week, so I'll be sure to let you know... not that I anticipate on being in the top 10%. Not sure I understand why you're opting to be a doucher right now though :?

Not being a "doucher." Just pointing out the disproportionate number of TLS is elitist/I know I am going to be top 10%/I was born and bred for success threads. If you went to one of those schools with realistic expectations, you aren't included in that group and that post was not intended to offend you.

I don't exactly fit your description, but I did opt for a lower T1 school over several T-14s. So far, so good; 4.0 this semester.

When I made the decision to attend my current school I definitely thought I would be in the top 10%, but I'll admit I seriously underestimated how hard it would be. It took a serious amount of effort to pull off the A's, and I think anyone considering a similar decision should be wary of overestimating their own abilities.

TruckerD

Postby TruckerD » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:41 pm

I haven't posted in a while, but have been lurking on and off throughout the year.

I have my grades, (GPA 3.915) and I am anxious to send them to the firms to which I have applied for this summer. However, I haven't gotten my class rank yet because one of the other sections doesn't have all their grades. Our CSO is telling me to wait for rank, but I really don't want to. :(

Trucker D

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:44 pm

TruckerD wrote:I haven't posted in a while, but have been lurking on and off throughout the year.

I have my grades, (GPA 3.915) and I am anxious to send them to the firms to which I have applied for this summer. However, I haven't gotten my class rank yet because one of the other sections doesn't have all their grades. Our CSO is telling me to wait for rank, but I really don't want to. :(

Trucker D

I didn't have much doubt that you would do awesome. Nice grades, dude.

TruckerD

Postby TruckerD » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:46 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
TruckerD wrote:I haven't posted in a while, but have been lurking on and off throughout the year.

Trucker D

Thanks! It really helped that I was able to start this summer after being out of school for 7 years. That class is still my best grade ;)

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:53 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

Trucker D

+1

Congrats!

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:57 pm

Got two grades today. Still feeling anxious because another grade could drop any day, and now I have a GPA that I don't want to go down :?

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:04 pm

JordynAsh wrote:Got two grades today. Still feeling anxious because another grade could drop any day, and now I have a GPA that I don't want to go down :?

Does anyone have a GPA he or she doesn't want to go down?

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:08 pm

GeePee wrote:
JordynAsh wrote:Got two grades today. Still feeling anxious because another grade could drop any day, and now I have a GPA that I don't want to go down :?

Does anyone have a GPA he or she doesn't want to go down?

Ha fine, I'm now anxious that my next grades will hurt my non-final GPA.

100Miles&Runnin'

Postby 100Miles&Runnin' » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:56 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
keg411 wrote:

First category (TT). Splitter. Tons of WL's. Took $$ at my State School.
See my other posts ITT :D.

ETA: 1) Yes I know I won the lottery; 2) I know I could be pwnd next semester; 3) I actually chose my school based on where I would be okay with graduating median/below median and figured my chances of actually pulling this off were slim-to-none.

1) Congratulations 2) I'm sure you'll be fine next semester 3) That was good thinking 4) Good luck with transfer apps.

(Splitters don't really count do they? I'm talking about the 154/2.9 kids that went to Seton Hall)

How many of those 154/2.9 kids got accepted to schools higher than Seton Hall? Or even Seton Hall for that matter? Not to kick you when you're down, as you seem to realize that you sounded like a prick with you're original post, but I'm one of those who slacked in undergrad and went to a T1/T2 border school, over a few higher ranked schools, and I got a 4.0 (so somebody congratulate me, and tell me how awesome I am!). And on top of that, with the school I chose I won't have to shovel snow to get to class tomorrow.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:01 pm

100Miles&Runnin' wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
keg411 wrote:

First category (TT). Splitter. Tons of WL's. Took $$ at my State School.
See my other posts ITT :D.

ETA: 1) Yes I know I won the lottery; 2) I know I could be pwnd next semester; 3) I actually chose my school based on where I would be okay with graduating median/below median and figured my chances of actually pulling this off were slim-to-none.

1) Congratulations 2) I'm sure you'll be fine next semester 3) That was good thinking 4) Good luck with transfer apps.

(Splitters don't really count do they? I'm talking about the 154/2.9 kids that went to Seton Hall)

How many of those 154/2.9 kids got accepted to schools higher than Seton Hall? Or even Seton Hall for that matter? Not to kick you when you're down, as you seem to realize that you sounded like a prick with you're original post, but I'm one of those who slacked in undergrad and went to a T1/T2 border school, over a few higher ranked schools, and I got a 4.0 (so somebody congratulate me, and tell me how awesome I am!). And on top of that, with the school I chose I won't have to shovel snow to get to class tomorrow.

You slacked in undergrad then did well on the lsat I assume, so again, not talking about you (I'm in that group too fwiw). Peer into any thread where there is a 142-155 etc... lsat person. For the most part, you'll see the defiant attitude I'm talking about. The only point I was trying to make in that post was that those people always seem to disappear. It happened last year. It's happening this year.

Also, I've conceded lol. Cut me some slack.
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sethc

Postby sethc » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:04 pm

random5483 wrote:
sethc wrote:I've had plans to transfer from day 1. I'm at a tier 4 or maybe 3? I dunno, can't keep up with those rankings. Either way I want to transfer back to UK or UofL or even NKU, no matter what. (All are Tier-1/Top100 I think). I'd take a lateral transfer if I have to as long as its somewhat close to KY. And no, Appalachian isn't an option for me :)

Planning to transfer from day 1? That was a big gamble you did.

I am open to the transfer idea. If I rank well after spring I definitely will send out some apps.

You're totally right. I'm by no means from a "connected" family or background. But, I do have financial options in the event that I can't secure a lawyer/legal job after graduation. I normally am not that much of a risk-taker by gambling on a transfer.. but if I'm forced to either quit or continue where I'm at - I'll do my best to stick it out an earn my JD. The personal satisfaction alone would be worth it to be, as idealistic as it sounds. I have a chip on my shoulder and honestly won't feel totally gratified unless I graduate law school regardless of where/how I'm employed. Having said that, I'm still going to bust my ass to transfer no matter what.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:04 pm

I could swear there was one asterisk for each pending grade earlier today on my unofficial transcript where there are now three each. What could it mean?

/The insanity begins.

SeymourShowz

Postby SeymourShowz » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:21 pm

is it ok to be pissed with A-'s?? I've got three so far and honestly I'm a little upset. For some reason it almost feels worse than a B. What the fuck do i have to do to get a regular god damn A.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:25 pm

SeymourShowz wrote:is it ok to be pissed with A-'s?? I've got three so far and honestly I'm a little upset. For some reason it almost feels worse than a B. What the fuck do i have to do to get a regular god damn A.

Bro, A- is awesome. Quit being a moron. By all means go over your exams with your teachers to figure out how to get the A, however. Sometimes, A- or A seems to come down to luck or spotting that one extra issue.

uzpakalis

Postby uzpakalis » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:27 pm

SeymourShowz wrote:is it ok to be pissed with A-'s?? I've got three so far and honestly I'm a little upset. For some reason it almost feels worse than a B. What the fuck do i have to do to get a regular god damn A.

No, it is not ok. Considering most law students never receive a single A....or A- for that matter.

What classes did you get those grades in?
Last edited by uzpakalis on Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:28 pm

oral sex

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”