1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
goosey

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby goosey » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:56 pm

keg411 wrote:goosey, you should go talk to your Torts professor to see what you did wrong and not just blame it on how "hard" you studied. Some professors grade strangely and it's just something you have to deal with. I personally found talking with my professors one-on-one about how they graded was incredibly helpful.

yeah, I know...I just dont know how helpful it will be because he told us straight out he doesnt grade with points--he grades on how the exam feels to him. My exam obviously wasnt feeling so good to him. seriously..like even a B. come one. at least its not a C though. But wow, it really feels crappy to know you are at the bottom 30% of your torts class. wow.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:10 pm

keg411 wrote: Some professors grade strangely and it's just something you have to deal with.

Funny how something mostly out of your control can affect your future career so much. I didn't really believe it before, but some of these exams really are like rolling the dice. Except it's a $10,000 ante (if you divide tuition by the number of classes).

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:34 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I was prepared to face the firing squad today. I want to get it over with.

I swing back and forth between wanting and not wanting. The longer we wait, the more it grows in importance to me.

I would like to not find out on the day I have a 3-hr night class.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:50 pm

JCougar wrote:
keg411 wrote: Some professors grade strangely and it's just something you have to deal with.

Funny how something mostly out of your control can affect your future career so much. I didn't really believe it before, but some of these exams really are like rolling the dice. Except it's a $10,000 ante (if you divide tuition by the number of classes).

It's only out of your control because you have no clue how your classmates are going to do. I don't think it's really the professors only. The best advice is 1) Find out how your professor grades and 2) write your exam accordingly. I got to see more than one grading rubric because of it, including for a professor who claimed in class that he graded on "feeling". Though some of it certainly is luck, it's not all luck.

ETA: Next semester, I'm getting schadenfreude'd :? .

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:59 pm

JCougar wrote:

Funny how something mostly out of your control can affect your future career so much

This is why you go to a school where a .1 or .2 difference is not catastrophic. I hope 0Ls are watching and reading as many 1Ls learn that lesson.

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:09 pm

RVP11 wrote:
JCougar wrote:

Funny how something mostly out of your control can affect your future career so much

This is why you go to a school where a .1 or .2 difference is not catastrophic. I hope 0Ls are watching and reading as many 1Ls learn that lesson.

I think I go to one such school..and while its stressful, I am so beyond happy with my decision--not having to worry about loans and money is such a huge relief. And for the record, I dont think grading is arbitrary--yes its hard..VERY HARD..to be at the top, but I think that when look at the classes we messed up in vs. did well in, we know where we fell short in one and put the extra work in in the other. I for one know that for crim, I didnt take the exam serious enough because it was a takehome--I have an 8 hour take home this semester too, and you can bet that I will prep for it as if I will be taking an in-class open book. If I had, that grade may have been an A- or an A rather than a B+. The mistakes I made were from not knowing the BLL inside out on the day of the exam.

so yeah..I think if anyone is in a position to take a full ride at a lower ranked school (TT) vs paying sticker at a t1, id go with the free ride [unless its a t14 or osmething]

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:21 pm

RVP11 wrote:
JCougar wrote:

no wai they are all going to be top 10%, remember?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:50 pm

Per admin, no NU grades today. Meh.
Last edited by bjsesq on Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:50 pm

apparently an administrator said no grades today to a group of 1Ls. also, our inability to refresh is lame. not that i would be refreshing.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:55 pm

bjsesq wrote:Per admin, no NU grades today. Meh.

:mrgreen:

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:29 pm

keg411 wrote:
JCougar wrote:

It's only out of your control because you have no clue how your classmates are going to do. I don't think it's really the professors only. The best advice is 1) Find out how your professor grades and 2) write your exam accordingly. I got to see more than one grading rubric because of it, including for a professor who claimed in class that he graded on "feeling". Though some of it certainly is luck, it's not all luck.

I guess ultimately blaming these things on other people isn't productive. It may be somewhat out of my control, but I've got to figure out how to avoid these situations. But when professors throw in nebulous, open-ended policy questions that only marginally relate to the things you have studied all semester (questions that I couldn't comprehend grading objectively), and make those over 50% of your exam grade, there's not really much you can do to prepare.

With issue spotters, at least there's a checklist and a finite number of topics that you either hit or miss. With "develop a system of property laws for these war-torn indian tribes," there's literally a million answers you could come up with, and if the professor doesn't like your reasoning, you get hammered.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:40 pm

FWIW, the exams I was referring to weren't issue spotters (they weren't open ended policy questions either).

Also, as someone who has had five seconds of property, I have to admit, that kind of sounds like a fun question. Not easy, but it doesn't seem out of the blue in context of a property class.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:41 pm

JCougar wrote:
keg411 wrote:
JCougar wrote:

I guess ultimately blaming these things on other people isn't productive. It may be somewhat out of my control, but I've got to figure out how to avoid these situations. But when professors throw in nebulous, open-ended policy questions that only marginally relate to the things you have studied all semester (questions that I couldn't comprehend grading objectively), and make those over 50% of your exam grade, there's not really much you can do to prepare.

With issue spotters, at least there's a checklist and a finite number of topics that you either hit or miss. With "develop a system of property laws for these war-torn indian tribes," there's literally a million answers you could come up with, and if the professor doesn't like your reasoning, you get hammered.

You should have written: Indians have no property rights. See Johnson v. M'Intosh.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:42 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:You should have written: Indians have no property rights. See Johnson v. M'Intosh.

If only they weren't so savage, they might have had some. Screw property.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:45 pm

JCougar wrote:With issue spotters, at least there's a checklist and a finite number of topics that you either hit or miss. With "develop a system of property laws for these war-torn indian tribes," there's literally a million answers you could come up with, and if the professor doesn't like your reasoning, you get hammered.

That sounds pretty nebulous, but it still lends itself to a checklist style of grading. You just have to reach deeper and remember the policy rationales behind each rule, then bring them up as you develop your argument. Eg, consider the various policy rationales underlying adverse possession: quieting title, forcing land owners to defend claims to their property, possibly fairness and harmonious relations within a community. What about the policies underlying variations in the law, such as whether possession must be hostile to the true owner's rights? How do each of these apply to war-torn Indian tribes and how do they argue for structuring the law one way or the other?

Most times when professors give a question like this, they're not really interested in the overall system of law you come up with. They're simply looking to see if you remember all the policy rationales raised in the class and giving you points for hitting them and making a facially plausible tie-in with the overall theme of the question.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:47 pm

I guess Jcougar didn't get that straight A's he was predicting.

Here's your prize

Next time learn some humility in the future, only douches predict their grades.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:49 pm

keg411 wrote:FWIW, the exams I was referring to weren't issue spotters (they weren't open ended policy questions either).

Also, as someone who has had five seconds of property, I have to admit, that kind of sounds like a fun question. Not easy, but it doesn't seem out of the blue in context of a property class.

I did have fun writing the answer...but to somehow grade it hand have that exam reflect 1/7th of your first year GPA -- I think I'd opt out. When I was writing it, I had no idea how she was going to grade it. I just hoped to get lucky and be around median for the two policy questions, and knock the one issue spotter out of the park to get an A-.

But who knows. I guess I should try to talk to her about it and use it as a learning experience. If I do well in the rest of my classes, I can still have a salvageable GPA.

mths

Postby mths » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:49 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:I guess Jcougar didn't get that straight A's he was predicting.

Here's your prize

marry me

Postby 98234872348 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:50 pm

IAFG wrote:no wai they are all going to be top 10%, remember?

fixed for safe at a T1.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:50 pm

JCougar wrote:
keg411 wrote:FWIW, the exams I was referring to weren't issue spotters (they weren't open ended policy questions either).

I did have fun writing the answer...but to somehow grade it hand have that exam reflect 1/7th of your first year GPA -- I think I'd opt out. When I was writing it, I had no idea how she was going to grade it. I just hoped to get lucky and be around median for the two policy questions, and knock the one issue spotter out of the park to get an A-.

But who knows. I guess I should try to talk to her about it and use it as a learning experience. If I do well in the rest of my classes, I can still have a salvageable GPA.

Hope springs eTTTernal, bro.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:51 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:I guess Jcougar didn't get that straight A's he was predicting.
Here's your prize

I didn't say straight A's...but I did think I would get an A in Property.

But I'll take it like a man.

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:58 pm

Finally got one grade... :roll:

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:58 pm

Can I give my grades back? Also, fucking airplanes. Should have followed the azn example and worn a mask. Stupid fucking flu.

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:01 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:Can I give my grades back? Also, fucking airplanes. Should have followed the azn example and worn a mask. Stupid fucking flu.

I take zicam when I fly now. I also hit decongestants hard if I have the beginnings of a cold when I start to fly. Got a nasty sinus infection the other year from flying with cold.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:02 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:Can I give my grades back? Also, fucking airplanes. Should have followed the azn example and worn a mask. Stupid fucking flu.

Boo related aids probably hurt your immune system.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”