1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
goosey

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby goosey » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:20 pm

Civ Pro: A-
Crim: B+
Torts: B- [wth?!?!?!]
LWR: not up yet but its either an A or A-

wth torts?!?!?!?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:21 pm

goosey wrote:Civ Pro: A-

wth torts?!?!?!?

curve?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:22 pm

wth torts?!?!?!?

Sorry to hear it. Wasn't torts the class you felt the worst about going into the exam?

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:23 pm

romothesavior wrote:

wth torts?!?!?!?

Sorry to hear it. Wasn't torts the class you felt the worst about going into the exam?

B+ curve

and yeah it was...i didnt study enough, but whn i left I felt good about it. wow. below median. fail.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:27 pm

I'm nervous about torts, myself. I am happy with my overall performance so far, although I didn't do quite as well as I wanted in Legal Process (sort of Pitt's version of Civ Pro 1). Unfortunately, my torts grade isn't due to the registrar until the 18th, so it could be another week. I would post my grades... but my username outs me. If you're curious, don't go to Pitt, and won't post my grades or pass them out via PMs, I don't really mind PMing them to you.

Citizenlawyer

Postby Citizenlawyer » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:30 pm

Civ Pro: A-
Criminal Law: A-

Waiting for Torts, which was the first exam in the beginning of Dec, 50% multiple choice. Well it does look so far like I am great at rocking the ol' 3.7 GPA, wonder if that will place me into top 10% with B+ curve (which actually works out to be 3.1 or something like that somehow).

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:37 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Good luck, Chi-town soldiers. The TLS is wif u.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:39 pm

goosey wrote:
B+ curve

and yeah it was...i didnt study enough, but whn i left I felt good about it. wow. below median. fail.

wouldn't LRW push you over? i know you're disappointed but two A-range grades isn't that bad. torts probably had a super-tight curve. try to learn from this?

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:42 pm

columbia has maybe three days to give me a grade before i just die.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:42 pm

Citizenlawyer wrote:Civ Pro: A-

Waiting for Torts, which was the first exam in the beginning of Dec, 50% multiple choice. Well it does look so far like I am great at rocking the ol' 3.7 GPA, wonder if that will place me into top 10% with B+ curve (which actually works out to be 3.1 or something like that somehow).

Where I'm at, I think about half of everyone in the class gets B+ or above, the thanks to some math I don't understand, median in the class as a whole is between a 3.1 and 3.2 (unreleased by the school). So it's possible. I don't get math.

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:47 pm

IAFG wrote:
goosey wrote:
B+ curve

wouldn't LRW push you over? i know you're disappointed but two A-range grades isn't that bad. torts probably had a super-tight curve. try to learn from this?

well lwr will push me to a 3.3

I guess I deserve the B-..I hardly studied for torts bc I was so burned out from studying for Civ pro
cant let that happen this semester. must study hard till the end.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:49 pm

goosey wrote:
IAFG wrote:
goosey wrote:
B+ curve

I guess I deserve the B-..I hardly studied for torts bc I was so burned out from studying for Civ pro

or just budget your time more sensibly to defend against burn-out? you've been grinding so hard, and that didn't work as you'd hoped. counter-intuitively, i think working less early and more later might help you. good luck and try not to be too hard on yourself about this. most people get median-range grades.

Postby 98234872348 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:49 pm

goosey wrote:
IAFG wrote:
goosey wrote:
B+ curve

No.

Study smart, then you won't burn out. hth.

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:50 pm

Civ Pro: B+
Torts: B+
Writing: A
Crim: still waiting...

i'm not really happy. kind of bittersweet?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:52 pm

rad law wrote:

Where I'm at, I think about half of everyone in the class gets B+ or above, the thanks to some math I don't understand, median in the class as a whole is between a 3.1 and 3.2 (unreleased by the school). So it's possible. I don't get math.

Say each class is curved like this: A, A-, A-, B+, B+, B+, B, B, B, B-, B-

The median grade is a B+. However, someone at the median won't always get exactly the middle grade. His scores will vary somewhat around the median. In this hypo, if he gets one slot above median, he still gets a B+. If he gets one slot below median, he gets a B. So his actual GPA will be something between a B+ and a B.

In general, if the person above the midpoint gets a B+ and the person exactly below the median gets a B, someone who is a "median" student will actually have a GPA of about 3.17 (between B+/B).

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:52 pm

IAFG wrote:
goosey wrote:
B+ curve

Yeah, remember that a lot of students will probably never see an A, and you nailed two. Overall you still have to be over median right?

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:55 pm

traehekat wrote:
IAFG wrote:
goosey wrote:
B+ curve

Yeah, remember that a lot of students will probably never see an A, and you nailed two. Overall you still have to be over median right?

I'm not sure..
after LWR I will be at a 3.3 which is a B+...we are on a B+ curve so does the 3.3 mean above median or at median in terms of overall gpa?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:56 pm

rayiner wrote:
rad law wrote:

The median grade is a B+. However, someone at the median won't always get exactly the middle grade. His scores will vary somewhat around the median. In this hypo, if he gets one slot above median, he still gets a B+. If he gets one slot below median, he gets a B. So his actual GPA will be something between a B+ and a B.

In general, if the person above the midpoint gets a B+ and the person exactly below the median gets a B, someone who is a "median" student will actually have a GPA of about 3.17 (between B+/B).

Thanks Ray. This is really helpful.

stayway

Postby stayway » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:57 pm

If goosey got those grades and she studied like crazy, then I have every reason to be scared as hell

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:58 pm

traehekat wrote:
IAFG wrote:
goosey wrote:
B+ curve

Yeah goose, you might still be above median, but I understand the disappointment, and I'm sorry.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:58 pm

goosey wrote:
traehekat wrote:
IAFG wrote:
goosey wrote:
B+ curve

I'm not sure..
after LWR I will be at a 3.3 which is a B+...we are on a B+ curve so does the 3.3 mean above median or at median in terms of overall gpa?

Probably around median (sorry), but being around median with two good grades and one crappy grade is better than median with all average grades. Just don't plan to be an ambulance chaser ;)

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:00 pm

nooyyllib wrote:If goosey got those grades and she studied like crazy, then I have every reason to be scared as hell

I was a huge fail at torts--I studied for the final for like 2 days. He also grades on how he "feels" and not by points, so it was a crapshoot and I dont think you need to be scared. I studied like crazy for civ pro and thats the grade I am happy about..and I worked super hard at LWR too because by the end of the year that course is worth 4 credits and its the one class we have the most control over our grade for--so wanted to ace it as an insurance policy

I guess I just have to work super hard this semester. sigh.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:02 pm

+1 to BenJ on explaining away the one bad grade among pretty solid grades. Much more preferable.

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:19 pm

rayiner wrote:
rad law wrote:

Interestingly, if a class has an odd number of students and there is an enforced curve, more than 50% of the students will have to receive a grade at or above the median. So in the example above, about 54.5% of the students get median or better and 45.5% get a grade below the median. The smaller the class, the larger the effect.

I guess this could be to someone's advantage if the school enforced a curve in small classes. But this would be a pretty bad reason to choose a class.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:52 pm

goosey, you should go talk to your Torts professor to see what you did wrong and not just blame it on how "hard" you studied. Some professors grade strangely and it's just something you have to deal with. I personally found talking with my professors one-on-one about how they graded was incredibly helpful.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”