1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Aqualibrium

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:51 pm

beach_terror wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:NALP only shows the top % ranking from years back. Can't it drastically change from year to year?

This would be surprising if it did. I can't see the top % cutoffs changing more than .05-.1 gpa points

Yeah, unless there is some change in the curve, it generally won't shift too much.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:55 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Does anyone know what the rankings look like at a school where median is your basic 3.0? Our school doesn't rank and I frankly have no idea where to find info or figure out where I am at once the last grade is in.

my school has 3.0 median, taking into account the cutoffs for the past 5 years (first year full time only), top 1/3 is around 3.2, top 25% around 3.35, top 10% around 3.7

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:56 pm

traehekat wrote:
theantiscalia wrote:Also just got my last grade back (ND). Pretty good semester overall... just have to not screw up next semester now.

We don't rank students out here, so I have no idea, but how much does each .1 above the median generally move somebody up the curve (for those of you at ranked schools)?

I suspect the following

3.2 - Median
3.3 - Top 35-40% or So
3.4 - Top 20-25% or So
3.5 - Top 15% or So
3.6 - Top 10% - This is our Dean's List, which is generally Top 10%, so I'm confident about this one.
3.7 - Top 6-7%
3.8 - Top 4-5%
3.9 - Top 2-3%
4.0 - Top 1%

Curious about this as well.

the upper tail of that will vary randomly from year to year based on the students. But that's just about spot on.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:58 pm

JordynAsh wrote:
philosoraptor wrote:
JordynAsh wrote:Just got an email from a professor with our section's grade distribution (but no actual grades).

I'm dying inside.
I'm assuming this is LRW or contracts, right? Sorry to hear that you still have nothing -- 3A at least has Ks results.

Yeah our Ks class. 3Bers will be finally be joining me and compulsively checking grades all day tomorrow.

don't worry...i've been doing that since 12/15

i hate how tight the curve is (at least compared to what he said in class)

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:01 pm

OGR3 wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:Does anyone know what the rankings look like at a school where median is your basic 3.0? Our school doesn't rank and I frankly have no idea where to find info or figure out where I am at once the last grade is in.

Have you seen this?

--LinkRemoved--

I've seen it. That doesnt give us anything in terms of rank, just the grade distributions.

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:01 pm

Received my first grade today. Pretty happy. If my other grades are all on this level... I'll be ecstatic.

Unfortunately, my first grade back was not my first exam. My section of Contracts is still the ONLY one waiting for our grades, out of the three mini section and one big section. We were my Prof's only class, and it was our first exam.

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:08 pm

f0bolous wrote:
JordynAsh wrote:
philosoraptor wrote:
JordynAsh wrote:Just got an email from a professor with our section's grade distribution (but no actual grades).

I'm dying inside.
I'm assuming this is LRW or contracts, right? Sorry to hear that you still have nothing -- 3A at least has Ks results.

Yeah our Ks class. 3Bers will be finally be joining me and compulsively checking grades all day tomorrow.

don't worry...i've been doing that since 12/15

i hate how tight the curve is (at least compared to what he said in class)

Ugh no joke!

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:16 pm

JazzOne wrote:

I'm dying inside.

My Ks prof did that to us the night before the grade came out. He emailed everyone a grade distribution sheet and a set of general comments. In those general comments, he severely criticized a particular strand of answers that he received to one of the questions, and he even went so far as to sarcastically quote the text from an exam. I didn't happen to make the error he was criticizing, so it didn't bother me too much, but I imagine some people felt like shit if they wrote about that topic.

My god. I can only imagine the impending doom I'd feel if it was taken from my exam.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:17 am

So my school is closed tomorrow due to the large impending snowstorm and I heard that grades now wont be released until next week. We have yet to hear back on a single grade and now they say they will push this until after a long weekend. Its really getting silly. I was hoping to make up a batch of mailings over the long weekend in order to get my grades out to the judges I applied to. Now I can't even do that.

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:24 am

So as the grades trickle in, who's thinking of transferring?

I know I am... I'm not really happy where I'm at (although I like law school), and I might be able to either transfer laterally or even move up.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:26 am

dakatz wrote:So my school is closed tomorrow due to the large impending snowstorm and I heard that grades now wont be released until next week. We have yet to hear back on a single grade and now they say they will push this until after a long weekend. Its really getting silly. I was hoping to make up a batch of mailings over the long weekend in order to get my grades out to the judges I applied to. Now I can't even do that.

That's really a bummer man, I'm sorry to hear that. This wait really is brutal.

sethc

Postby sethc » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:27 am

I've had plans to transfer from day 1. I'm at a tier 4 or maybe 3? I dunno, can't keep up with those rankings. Either way I want to transfer back to UK or UofL or even NKU, no matter what. (All are Tier-1/Top100 I think). I'd take a lateral transfer if I have to as long as its somewhat close to KY. And no, Appalachian isn't an option for me :)

random5483

Postby random5483 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:39 am

sethc wrote:I've had plans to transfer from day 1. I'm at a tier 4 or maybe 3? I dunno, can't keep up with those rankings. Either way I want to transfer back to UK or UofL or even NKU, no matter what. (All are Tier-1/Top100 I think). I'd take a lateral transfer if I have to as long as its somewhat close to KY. And no, Appalachian isn't an option for me :)

Planning to transfer from day 1? That was a big gamble you did.

I am open to the transfer idea. If I rank well after spring I definitely will send out some apps.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:39 am

random5483 wrote: That was a big gamble you did.

Well said, Yoda.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:43 am

beach_terror wrote:
random5483 wrote: That was a big gamble you did.

Well said, Yoda.

lol. My brain is fried. I guess my fried brain sounds like Yoda :)

Maybe I should try exams when I am this tired! Yoda would probably book every class!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:45 am

Would only consider a transfer to HYS and maaaaaybe C (Chicago), but my grades are not going to be anywhere near that good for it to even be an option.

And even if my grades were that good, I would likely already be set for my goals (STL or midwest biglaw), so transferring up wouldn't even make much sense I don't think. I have no aspirations of NYC or any of that. Plus I love my school and I've made some good friends here, so I think the odds of me transferring are ~5%.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:50 am

Would only consider transferring to Chicago.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:51 am

romothesavior wrote:Would only consider a transfer to HYS and maaaaaybe C (Chicago), but my grades are not going to be anywhere near that good for it to even be an option.

And even if my grades were that good, I would likely already be set for my goals (STL or midwest biglaw), so transferring up wouldn't even make much sense I don't think. I have no aspirations of NYC or any of that. Plus I love my school and I've made some good friends here, so I think the odds of me transferring are ~5%.

I read the ~5% as -5%. Caused a little bit of confusion on my end.

With that said if I was attending WUSTL I probably would not transfer other than to HYS and maybe CCN (big maybe). But I am a little way down the chain and will settle for a T10. Again all of this is just academic for now because I'd need some strong spring grades to pull that off.

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:52 am

romothesavior wrote:Would only consider a transfer to HYS and maaaaaybe C (Chicago), but my grades are not going to be anywhere near that good for it to even be an option.

If you're happy where you are, and if you're set for your goals there, there is no reason whatsoever to transfer in my book.

I think I'm set with regard to my goals - I'm probably top 5%ish or higher, and I have great work experience - but I'm just not happy here. South Bend sucks. Few of my classmates have the same interests or background I do, and even fewer professors have interests that align with mine. I didn't think it'd be a big deal, but it is. I think I'd fit in better at somewhere like WUSTL (lateral transfer) or NU (a move up).

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:59 am

random5483 wrote:

With that said if I was attending WUSTL I probably would not transfer other than to HYS and maybe CCN (big maybe). But I am a little way down the chain and will settle for a T10. Again all of this is just academic for now because I'd need some strong spring grades to pull that off.

Actually, some top schools (not sure of the exact list, but a search will probably reveal it) only require first semester grades. I know GULC is one of them...

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:05 am

I'd consider Penn, Cornell, NYU and Columbia (lol at the latter two) if I can keep up my GPA... but I also don't want the debt and I'm terrified of being OCI-pwnd. If I'm not going to get a job, I want to do it where I'm under 100k. But keeping up my GPA to transfer to a T13 is going to be really really difficult.

I have zero chance at HYS and little chance at Chicago based on my school. I have no interest at all in Georgetown, even though they have the Early Action thing (don't want DC, don't want to live in DC, hate politics).

random5483

Postby random5483 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:06 am

theantiscalia wrote:
random5483 wrote:

Actually, some top schools (not sure of the exact list, but a search will probably reveal it) only require first semester grades. I know GULC is one of them...

GULC is T14 so I am a lot less sure about whether I would transfer to GULC compared to say CCN or Berkeley. I know Chicago has early action but from everything I hear I won't have a realistic shot at Chicago since their standards for early action is really high.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:34 am

somewhatwayward wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:columbia grades apparently don't come out until after we arrive back on the 18th. wonderful

i heard that some people already got some. hth (that is, here's to hoping)

whaaaat?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:18 am

For transfer-intendig people, I've talked to some people who did transfer and they said they got absolutely boned at OCI. Just FYI.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:19 am

kalvano wrote:For transfer-intendig people, I've talked to some people who did transfer and they said they got absolutely boned at OCI. Just FYI.

How high up did they transfer?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”