1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Doritos

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Doritos » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:51 pm

I feel like I'm the only person on this board that doesn't have all or nearly all my grades back.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:52 pm

Northwestern has none yet. Rumor is tomorrow. Friday wouldn't be out of the question.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:54 pm

Doritos wrote:I feel like I'm the only person on this board that doesn't have all or nearly all my grades back.

It feels like everyone has grades but us.

sethc

Postby sethc » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:54 pm

Woohoo, 1 out of 4 finals in; CrimLaw = B! (note: my school does the A,A-,B,B- etc. grading scale)

Very pleased. The class size is about 100-150 range and the minimum "A" score was 138; my score was a 119. When I walked out, I felt like it was an A test for the most part.. but after reflecting I can easily see how my essay could have easily caused it to be a B (all other factors aside). Beyond that, upperclassmen have told me that the prof grades incredibly hard even though she doesn't seem like it. From what they say, ~30% get Ds and the vast majority get between a B- and C while she hands out very few As. I knew As would be scarce.. but apparently it's 3-5 As (not sure if that includes A-) and that seems astonishingly low for such a huge class size.. but I assume that's probably standard operating procedure for any law school.

At any rate I'm happy.. but feeling "possible A" while receiving a B seems ominous for the remaining 3 grades.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:56 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Doritos wrote:I feel like I'm the only person on this board that doesn't have all or nearly all my grades back.

It feels like everyone has grades but us.

My school doesn't. Less QQ, moar pew pew.

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:57 pm

Also just got my last grade back (ND). Pretty good semester overall... just have to not screw up next semester now.

We don't rank students out here, so I have no idea, but how much does each .1 above the median generally move somebody up the curve (for those of you at ranked schools)?

I suspect the following

3.2 - Median
3.3 - Top 35-40% or So
3.4 - Top 20-25% or So
3.5 - Top 15% or So
3.6 - Top 10% - This is our Dean's List, which is generally Top 10%, so I'm confident about this one.
3.7 - Top 6-7%
3.8 - Top 4-5%
3.9 - Top 2-3%
4.0 - Top 1%

forza

Postby forza » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:57 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:It's ridiculous that UVA makes us wait this long.

Must be an elite school thing.

Prima donna professors take forever to grade.

Not Arthur Miller

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:00 pm

forza wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Prima donna professors take forever to grade.

Not Arthur Miller

FORZA!!! <3 <3 <3

Oh and also?
"No grades on your record are available "
blargh

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:04 pm

IAFG wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
JordynAsh wrote:So not only do you think that UVA students are better at taking exams than students at lower-ranked schools, you also think you'd be a faster grader than your law profs?

I'm irritated and gradeless a month from finals too but I'm not going to make ridiculous claims like the bolded.

Because you don't go to an elite school. This all should be obvious by now. FWIW, as a member a school ranked higher than UVA by United States News and the World Reporter, I demand grades at least three days sooner than them. This is preposterous.

it makes no difference, neither of you can get a job in man-fucking-hattan, the only market that matters

:lol:

ReesesPieces15

Postby ReesesPieces15 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:05 pm

I'm still waiting, painfully, too

forza

Postby forza » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:06 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
forza wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Prima donna professors take forever to grade.

Not Arthur Miller

FORZA!!! <3 <3 <3

Oh and also?
"No grades on your record are available "
blargh

<3!!

(also, wtf Fordham)

forza

Postby forza » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:11 pm

sethc wrote:Woohoo, 1 out of 4 finals in; CrimLaw = B! (note: my school does the A,A-,B,B- etc. grading scale)

Very pleased. The class size is about 100-150 range and the minimum "A" score was 138; my score was a 119. When I walked out, I felt like it was an A test for the most part.. but after reflecting I can easily see how my essay could have easily caused it to be a B (all other factors aside). Beyond that, upperclassmen have told me that the prof grades incredibly hard even though she doesn't seem like it. From what they say, ~30% get Ds and the vast majority get between a B- and C while she hands out very few As. I knew As would be scarce.. but apparently it's 3-5 As (not sure if that includes A-) and that seems astonishingly low for such a huge class size.. but I assume that's probably standard operating procedure for any law school.

At any rate I'm happy.. but feeling "possible A" while receiving a B seems ominous for the remaining 3 grades.

Wow 30% of your class gets Ds? :shock:

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:18 pm

ReesesPieces15 wrote:

I'm still waiting, painfully, too

I'm still waiting too..we get all our grades tomorrow. the guy from IT just sent us an email saying "if you are receiving this email its because you are from a group of 1Ls that up until now could not view your grades. Please log in and check to see if they are visible now and only reply if they are not visible to you."

I had 40 heart attacks at one time and logged into the site-----NOTHING. two seconds later we get another email that says what is the equivalent of "oops, registrar hasnt posted them yet, but thats where they'll be tomorrow!"
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :x :x :x :x :x

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:25 pm

Well, unless there's some sort of mistake, I got hammered in Property, but I sort of made up for it in Contracts.

I can see why some people believe this process is arbitrary. 2/3 of our property exam were weird policy questions that covered fairly narrow issues. The professor didn't seem to care much the whole semester, I believe she was quitting after this semester, and we got way behind in her class and only covered about 2/3 of the material we were supposed to get to. I still can only guess what she really wanted me to write on her policy questions, but I apparently got something pretty wrong. I still feel like I have a really good grasp of the material we covered, so I don't really know what to think, or how to really improve. We get number grades at my school, but I got the equivalent of B/B- in property, and an A-/B+ in Contracts. At this point, this puts me below median with Torts and LW still to come.

I really have no idea what to think anymore, because I'm still kind of disappointed in my contracts grade. And I had more confidence in that exam than any other one.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:25 pm

Good luck, goosey! I'm sure you killed it :).

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:33 pm

keg411 wrote:Good luck, goosey! I'm sure you killed it :).

thanks, sure hope so. omg really, they already have the grades why cant they just POST them.

sethc

Postby sethc » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:37 pm

forza wrote:
sethc wrote:Woohoo, 1 out of 4 finals in; CrimLaw = B! (note: my school does the A,A-,B,B- etc. grading scale)

Eh.. can't tell if that's sarcasm or not but, at any rate, it's only my 2nd term and I was only typing out the general consensus of what I've heard about the professor.

forza

Postby forza » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:38 pm

sethc wrote:
forza wrote:

Eh.. can't tell if that's sarcasm or not but, at any rate, it's only my 2nd term and I was only typing out the general consensus of what I've heard about the professor.

Nope, not sarcasm. That's a vicious curve if it's true.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:40 pm

First grade came in last night. I landed at median (I think?) for crim law, which makes me happy considering how bad I felt when I walked out of the test.

Burberry by Burberry

Postby Burberry by Burberry » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:50 pm

MSPeast wrote:
Burberry by Burberry wrote:
MSPeast wrote:
Burberry by Burberry wrote:Just found out that grades are not likely to be released until one week after the due date for the professors to submit them.

16 more days to go.

We're supposed to get grades on 1/20. Not sure about LRW, though.

Are you going by the date listed on the registrar website? If so, I've been told that is the date the professors are expected to turn in the grades. A few 2Ls have said that grades are generally released a week later.

But maybe this year will be different.

The thing I'm seeing says faculty have to submit grades by 5 PM on 1/14, and that grades will be posted by 5 PM on 1/20.

That's how I read it, too, until a 2L pointed out that "First Year Grades Posted" means that professors get an extra week to grade 1L exams.

I hope you're right. MyAccess will be down for four hours on Saturday "due to system upgrades."

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:51 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Northwestern has none yet. Rumor is tomorrow. Friday wouldn't be out of the question.

Lulz. Source or gtfo.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:55 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Northwestern has none yet. Rumor is tomorrow. Friday wouldn't be out of the question.

Lulz. Source or gtfo.

Happened the Wednesday after the monday grades were due last year.

They said if it was after the 17th they'd email us which means there target is probably friday at latest.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:03 pm

JCougar wrote:Well, unless there's some sort of mistake, I got hammered in Property, but I sort of made up for it in Contracts.

I can see why some people believe this process is arbitrary. 2/3 of our property exam were weird policy questions that covered fairly narrow issues. The professor didn't seem to care much the whole semester, I believe she was quitting after this semester, and we got way behind in her class and only covered about 2/3 of the material we were supposed to get to. I still can only guess what she really wanted me to write on her policy questions, but I apparently got something pretty wrong. I still feel like I have a really good grasp of the material we covered, so I don't really know what to think, or how to really improve. We get number grades at my school, but I got the equivalent of B/B- in property, and an A-/B+ in Contracts. At this point, this puts me below median with Torts and LW still to come.

I really have no idea what to think anymore, because I'm still kind of disappointed in my contracts grade. And I had more confidence in that exam than any other one.

Similar experience. I set up a meeting with my prof to figure things out, but it seems like it would be pointless with your prof. My school does numerical grades as well, with 4 out of my 5 grades being the equivalent of B+ or better (on a B curve), but I got absolutely destroyed in the class I was most confident about/prepped the most throughout the semester for. Hopefully once I meet with the prof I can come up with a reason (excuse?) for the outlier grade, because right now I have no idea wtf happened.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:06 pm

MSPeast wrote:
MSPeast wrote:We're supposed to get grades on 1/20. Not sure about LRW, though.

Are you going by the date listed on the registrar website? If so, I've been told that is the date the professors are expected to turn in the grades. A few 2Ls have said that grades are generally released a week later.

But maybe this year will be different.

The thing I'm seeing says faculty have to submit grades by 5 PM on 1/14, and that grades will be posted by 5 PM on 1/20.

That's how I read it, too, until a 2L pointed out that "First Year Grades Posted" means that professors get an extra week to grade 1L exams.

I hope you're right. MyAccess will be down for four hours on Saturday "due to system upgrades."

What? First Year Grades Posted is when they would be posted for 1L's to see. Right?? How would that mean professors get an extra week? I am curious what the 2L said - if so we'd be one of the last schools to get grades. Heck we might be after Yale and they don't take exams until after the break.

Eh, doesn't matter anyhow, we'll get them when we get them.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:12 pm

moandersen wrote:
JCougar wrote:Well, unless there's some sort of mistake, I got hammered in Property, but I sort of made up for it in Contracts.

Similar experience. I set up a meeting with my prof to figure things out, but it seems like it would be pointless with your prof. My school does numerical grades as well, with 4 out of my 5 grades being the equivalent of B+ or better (on a B curve), but I got absolutely destroyed in the class I was most confident about/prepped the most throughout the semester for. Hopefully once I meet with the prof I can come up with a reason (excuse?) for the outlier grade, because right now I have no idea wtf happened.

It's funny because our professor took TWO class periods when we were already behind in teaching the material to give us practice exam questions. Both of then were issue-spotters, and I did great on both of them.

Then when we get to the test, 2 of 3 questions were policy questions -- one was way out of the blue, and another only focused on one narrow issue.

Will law professors even meet with you to discuss your exam? I figure there's probably 50 other students all below median wanting to set up similar appointments...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”