1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
romothesavior

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:28 am

kasparov wrote:A- K's. I thought i totally bombed K's. I felt like I missed too many issues to break median (3.0).

Can you still be OK and fuck up LRW?!

Depends on how many credits it is, how tight the curve is in the class, and how bad you did. Here at WUSTL, our writing class is only 2 credits (other classes are 4) and the band of grades is pretty tight, so even the lowest grade in the class isn't too low. But it depends entirely on your school and how they do it.

Postby 02122015 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:35 am

Burberry by Burberry wrote:Just found out that grades are not likely to be released until one week after the due date for the professors to submit them.

16 more days to go.

We're supposed to get grades on 1/20. Not sure about LRW, though.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:43 am

romothesavior wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Though it's kinda silly to pay someone 1L and then not give them an offer if they work well just because of grades. You already wasted a ton of money.

Firms that make hundreds or tens of (or even just a few) million dollars a year don't make hiring decisions based $20-30k.

True, but firms also shouldn't bail on a potential hire whose capabilities they know, like, and want to keep around just because they did somewhat worse than another student (who they do not know at all) on something arbitrary and unrelated to law firm success like grades. If someone works there 1L summer, they should be judging them more on their performance and potential than on their grasp of Coase theorem or negative easements.
TITCR

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:02 am

of Benito Cereno wrote:columbia grades apparently don't come out until after we arrive back on the 18th. wonderful

i heard that some people already got some. hth (that is, here's to hoping)

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:07 am

MSPeast wrote:
Burberry by Burberry wrote:Just found out that grades are not likely to be released until one week after the due date for the professors to submit them.

16 more days to go.

It taunts us too, "No grades on your record are available." I read this to say I have grades on my record, they just won't show them to me.

I thought my LRW professor said something about us getting a letter with where our current grade would put us or something. I may be mistaken though.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:30 am

I'm glad that my school got grades out earlier than a lot of other schools, but now I'm anxiously waiting for them to send out the info about grade distribution. How long could it possibly take to calculate the cutoffs for top third, top 10% etc. If you know everyone's grades how could the math on that take longer than like an hour.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:43 am

It's ridiculous that UVA makes us wait this long.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:53 am

BruceWayne wrote:It's ridiculous that UVA makes us wait this long.

Must be an elite school thing.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:55 am

romothesavior wrote:

Elite + Pitt

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:12 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Prima donna professors take forever to grade.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:21 pm

beach_terror wrote:Keg, have you figured out what you're doing for the summer? Are firms coming to your school for OCI? We have like 5 firms, no joke :(

We don't have any firms coming to Spring OCI for 1L's. :(

Right now I have an interview with a judge up in the North Jersey area on Friday. I'm waiting on my K's grade as a bunch of federal judges requested my grades. Then I'll see what comes of that; if nothing I have bids in at PIPS and my grades should at least be competitive for some of the better jobs (like the Camden US Attorney; might send an app out to Newark as well). One of my cousins is also a partner at one of the BigPhillyFirms, so I might shoot him an e-mail to get some feedback.

What firms are doing Spring OCI at 'Nova (you can PM me if you want)? I didn't really think about doing a firm job this year, but if you know some that are hiring 1L's, I might put something together and send something. I've really been focusing on state judges, but I also thought I would have median grades. There are a bunch of BigFirm programs here, but they are mostly diversity programs.

Triangles

Postby Triangles » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:49 pm

Two grades back, two B+'s. Can't listen to the word of the Torts class I'm sitting in because I know I'm gonna drop out after this semester and never need to know any of this....

TwelveBeeSicks

Postby TwelveBeeSicks » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:55 pm

Triangles wrote:Two grades back, two B+'s. Can't listen to the word of the Torts class I'm sitting in because I know I'm gonna drop out after this semester and never need to know any of this....

Why? What's the curve?

SeymourShowz

Postby SeymourShowz » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:59 pm

Triangles wrote:Two grades back, two B+'s. Can't listen to the word of the Torts class I'm sitting in because I know I'm gonna drop out after this semester and never need to know any of this....

If you are so sure, why not drop out now? You're wasting even more money (opportunity cost) by sticking it out. Of course, I would advise against dropping out, but if you really are sure, you should quit going to class and start looking for a job.

Postby 02122015 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:04 pm

TwelveBeeSicks wrote:

Why? What's the curve?

Yeah, B+ is above median here.

Gamecubesupreme

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:09 pm

B+ in Criminal Law.

On the one hand, I thought I fucked up the worst on this exam and was relatively pleased with the B+.

On the other hand, I needed at least an A to give me hope after a disastrous C+ in Civ Pro.

Not to mention the B+ is from a visiting prof, who might have gave us a very lenient curve.

Only my tort and K grades have yet to be posted.

Burberry by Burberry

Postby Burberry by Burberry » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:25 pm

MSPeast wrote:

16 more days to go.

Are you going by the date listed on the registrar website? If so, I've been told that is the date the professors are expected to turn in the grades. A few 2Ls have said that grades are generally released a week later.

But maybe this year will be different.

Triangles

Postby Triangles » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:46 pm

MSPeast wrote:
TwelveBeeSicks wrote:

Why? What's the curve?

Yeah, B+ is above median here.

B+ is top 49%, so just above median. I need to be top 50% to keep my scholarship for next year, which means one grade below median means I lose my scholarship (at my tier 2). I am expecting to get a B in legal writing because I did poorly on the first assignment.

I would drop out now but I need the student loans to pay for my housing or I will be homeless. I went to law school in the first place because I couldn't find a job and had nowhere else to go. Hopefully I can keep my grades up to just above median so I can at least sleep inside for the next two years before I graduate and can't find a job...

yo!

Postby yo! » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:51 pm

romothesavior wrote:

+1. So I'm not the only one that is tired of this guy?

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:44 pm

yo! wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Stfu I said that because it is ridiculous. There's absolutely no reason for them to take this long. Professors don't have to do anything for 90 percent of the semester and yet they take this long to grade exams. What makes it worse is seeing all of these other schools that have released grades. There's no excuse.

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:54 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
yo! wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Stfu I said that because it is ridiculous. There's absolutely no reason for them to take this long. Professors don't have to do anything for 90 percent of the semester and yet they take this long to grade exams. What makes it worse is seeing all of these other schools that have released grades. There's no excuse.

So not only do you think that UVA students are better at taking exams than students at lower-ranked schools, you also think you'd be a faster grader than your law profs?

I'm irritated and gradeless a month from finals too but I'm not going to make ridiculous claims like the bolded.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:55 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:08 pm

Seriously do NOT want grades to be posted. Argggggg

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:13 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Seriously do NOT want grades to be posted. Argggggg

Starting to feel like this too, the ignorance is kind of nice... like freezing to death.

plum

Postby plum » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:20 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Seriously do NOT want grades to be posted. Argggggg

Starting to feel like this too, the ignorance is kind of nice... like freezing to death.

it should be ripped off at once, like a bandaid. not drop by drop over a period of weeks --> torture.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”