1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
MrKappus

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby MrKappus » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:42 am

filtered wrote:After receiving consistent B-s, i find that I had the highest grade on the graded memo in my Section. I would love for this to make sense.

^ Adjuncts vs. tenured profs reading 7000 words written under intense time pressures.

TwelveBeeSicks

Postby TwelveBeeSicks » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:46 am

filtered wrote:After receiving consistent B-s, i find that I had the highest grade on the graded memo in my Section. I would love for this to make sense.

I'm the opposite. Happy with my grades, saddened by my memo.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:01 am

Reading Pennoyer. What the fucking shit is going on?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:03 am

traehekat wrote:Reading Pennoyer. What the fucking shit is going on?

Blah power theory blah

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:04 am

Don't worry, you don't actually have to know much of anything about that case. According to the E&E they throw it in so you know "how astoundingly complex jurisdictional issues can be."

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:23 am

Neff hires Mitchell to do legal work related to getting a land grant. Neff doesn't pay for the legal services. Mitchell sues Neff for the fee and wins by default b/c Neff's out-of-state. Mitchell waits to execute judgment until after Neff's land grant comes through. Sheriff sells land at auction, Michell buys it, and assigns it to Pennoyer to pay off a debt. Neff comes back, says "Wtf?!" and sues Pennoyer to get his shit back. I got an A in Civ Pro and have no idea what "power theory" is. Sounds complicated.

Burberry by Burberry

Postby Burberry by Burberry » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:50 am

Just found out that grades are not likely to be released until one week after the due date for the professors to submit them.

16 more days to go.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:12 am

traehekat wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
goosey wrote:
keg411 wrote:Thanks y'all. Maybe my obsessive TLS-ing paid off... or not :lol:

congratulations!!!

I have applied to two internships for summer thus far (i know, i know) and one looks at grades [biglaw] while the other does not.

on a side note, would anyone consider 4k for the summer a good deal? I know that a lot of people say that its hard enough getting paid at all for the summer. I'm not so much concerned about the money, because the experience for this particular internship would be amazing, but just wondering if 4k for 1L summer is a good deal or not

For a 1L, 4K isn't bad. It's certainly not biglaw, but it beats unpaid interns with a stick.

You can't really complain about getting legal experience 1L summer that pays ANYTHING.

4k is not bad at all for 1L summer. Some students will make more while others will work for free.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:13 am

Desert Fox wrote:

Blah power theory blah

row row fight the powah

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:14 am

goosey wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
goosey wrote:
keg411 wrote:Thanks y'all. Maybe my obsessive TLS-ing paid off... or not :lol:

congratulations!!!

I have applied to two internships for summer thus far (i know, i know) and one looks at grades [biglaw] while the other does not.

on a side note, would anyone consider 4k for the summer a good deal? I know that a lot of people say that its hard enough getting paid at all for the summer. I'm not so much concerned about the money, because the experience for this particular internship would be amazing, but just wondering if 4k for 1L summer is a good deal or not

For a 1L, 4K isn't bad. It's certainly not biglaw, but it beats unpaid interns with a stick.

theres a 1L internship for biglaw that pays between 800 and 3100 per week depending on which firm you get matched to. super competitive, obviously. :shock: but some people wind up getting 2nd yr offers out of it.

Last year, there were a few 1Ls who got biglaw SAs that I wanted, and then some of those same folks didn't make law review. I don't really know what they're up to, but I sometimes wonder if they were able to parlay their 1L SAs into 2L jobs despite their grades.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:16 am

JazzOne wrote:I know there were a few 1Ls who got biglaw SAs that I wanted, and then those folks didn't make law review. I don't really know what they're up to, but I sometimes wonder if they were able to parlay their 1L SAs into 2L jobs despite the grades.

I've heard some firms make offers and others don't. Though it's kinda silly to pay someone 1L and then not give them an offer if they work well just because of grades. You already wasted a ton of money.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:20 am

lawschooliseasy wrote:

Don't worry, you don't actually have to know much of anything about that case. According to the E&E they throw it in so you know "how astoundingly complex jurisdictional issues can be."

It's referred to in other cases and parts of the casebook and the rule it supposedly stands for doesn't seem too difficult to understand. Reading the actual case is just painful, though.

Also, can someone confirm for me that there are no CALI lessons for civpro?

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:21 am

traehekat wrote:
lawschooliseasy wrote:

It's referred to in other cases and parts of the casebook and the rule it supposedly stands for doesn't seem too difficult to understand. Reading the actual case is just painful, though.

--LinkRemoved--

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:23 am

ew, grades

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:35 am

Ahhh, the wait. Exams finished Dec. 13 and I still have just one grade. Seriously hoping that I get at least one grade tomorrow morning -- but not as much as I'm hoping that I like the grades, whenever they come.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:37 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Ahhh, the wait. Exams finished Dec. 13 and I still have just one grade. Seriously hoping that I get at least one grade tomorrow morning -- but not as much as I'm hoping that I like the grades, whenever they come.

Um, the schools try to wait until the refund period for spring is over before they release all the grades. Your average law school student who has three C's will hope against hope that his one last grade will be an A and it will be worth his sticking around in school. Of course it won't be and it never is.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:40 am

uwb09 wrote:
traehekat wrote:
lawschooliseasy wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

Yeah, I'm definitely retarded. Thanks.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:45 am

MrAnon wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:Ahhh, the wait. Exams finished Dec. 13 and I still have just one grade. Seriously hoping that I get at least one grade tomorrow morning -- but not as much as I'm hoping that I like the grades, whenever they come.

Um, the schools try to wait until the refund period for spring is over before they release all the grades. Your average law school student who has three C's will hope against hope that his one last grade will be an A and it will be worth his sticking around in school. Of course it won't be and it never is.

Fascinating, thanks for the info.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:51 am

Desert Fox wrote:Though it's kinda silly to pay someone 1L and then not give them an offer if they work well just because of grades. You already wasted a ton of money.

Firms that make hundreds or tens of (or even just a few) million dollars a year don't make hiring decisions based $20-30k.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:48 am

MrKappus wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Though it's kinda silly to pay someone 1L and then not give them an offer if they work well just because of grades. You already wasted a ton of money.

Firms that make hundreds or tens of (or even just a few) million dollars a year don't make hiring decisions based $20-30k.

True, but firms also shouldn't bail on a potential hire whose capabilities they know, like, and want to keep around just because they did somewhat worse than another student (who they do not know at all) on something arbitrary and unrelated to law firm success like grades. If someone works there 1L summer, they should be judging them more on their performance and potential than on their grasp of Coase theorem or negative easements.

kasparov

Postby kasparov » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:14 am

A- K's. I thought i totally bombed K's. I felt like I missed too many issues to break median (3.0).

Can you still be OK and fuck up LRW?!

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:07 am

MrAnon wrote:

This is totally untrue at many schools, because I checked my own school. You can get a refund here all the way through February and our last grades are due around 2-3 weeks before the deadline. Yay for my school not being evil and nefarious? :lol:.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:42 am

Keg, have you figured out what you're doing for the summer? Are firms coming to your school for OCI? We have like 5 firms, no joke :(

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:59 am

beach_terror wrote:Keg, have you figured out what you're doing for the summer? Are firms coming to your school for OCI? We have like 5 firms, no joke :(

We have 6. :(

EDIT: 6 that are hiring 1Ls, that is.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:08 am

kasparov wrote:A- K's. I thought i totally bombed K's. I felt like I missed too many issues to break median (3.0).

Can you still be OK and fuck up LRW?!

sure if you're a shitty writer

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”