1L grade waiting thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
kalvano

Diamond

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Post by kalvano » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:23 pm

IAFG wrote:what the fuck would LS grades have to do with 1L jobs

There are several jobs here in Dallas on Symplicity for 1L summer that require grades.

Paying jobs.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:24 pm

IAFG wrote: cute but i was talking about 2L summer. 1L summer i will obviously take whatever i can get in any city.

You were talking about 2L summer when you said you disagreed with the assertion that if you're a 1L your grades shouldn't determine what type of job you look for? Everyone knows that grades matter for 2L summer; hard to believe you felt the need to reestablish that already well known fact...

Just saying :?
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:24 pm

WrappedUpInBooks wrote:NYU section 5 - K is out.
Thanks for the heads-up!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:24 pm

kalvano wrote:

There are several jobs here in Dallas on Symplicity for 1L summer that require grades.

Paying jobs.
yeah i have been shown the error of my ways since then, since employers have asked me to update them with transcripts. the above-quoted just doesn't happen to be an example of me contradicting myself.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:25 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
IAFG wrote: cute but i was talking about 2L summer. 1L summer i will obviously take whatever i can get in any city.

You were talking about 2L summer when you said you disagreed with the assertion that if you're a 1L your grades shouldn't determine what type of job you look for? Everyone knows that grades matter for 2L summer; hard to believe you felt the need to reestablish that already well known fact.
why don't you go run a mile or something, hon. burn off some of that energy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:26 pm

IAFG wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Paying jobs.
yeah i have been shown the error of my ways since then, since employers have asked me to update them with transcripts. the above-quoted just doesn't happen to be an example of me contradicting myself.
The thing is you should be applying to most of those jobs no matter what your grades are.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:27 pm

keg411 wrote:Thanks y'all. Maybe my obsessive TLS-ing paid off... or not :lol:

congratulations!!!

I have applied to two internships for summer thus far (i know, i know) and one looks at grades [biglaw] while the other does not.

on a side note, would anyone consider 4k for the summer a good deal? I know that a lot of people say that its hard enough getting paid at all for the summer. I'm not so much concerned about the money, because the experience for this particular internship would be amazing, but just wondering if 4k for 1L summer is a good deal or not

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:28 pm

IAFG wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:

You were talking about 2L summer when you said you disagreed with the assertion that if you're a 1L your grades shouldn't determine what type of job you look for? Everyone knows that grades matter for 2L summer; hard to believe you felt the need to reestablish that already well known fact.
why don't you go run a mile or something, hon. burn off some of that energy.

I have a really fantastic memory so as soon as I saw your quote in this thread I immediately thought about your nonsensical blow up in the other. Didn't even have to think about it. Glad you've seen the error of your ways hon.

Anyway, old football injuries prevent me from running long distances...I stick to low impact exercise these days.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:28 pm

goosey wrote:

congratulations!!!

I have applied to two internships for summer thus far (i know, i know) and one looks at grades [biglaw] while the other does not.

on a side note, would anyone consider 4k for the summer a good deal? I know that a lot of people say that its hard enough getting paid at all for the summer. I'm not so much concerned about the money, because the experience for this particular internship would be amazing, but just wondering if 4k for 1L summer is a good deal or not
A lot of stipends are around 4500$ at my school, so that sounds about right.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:28 pm

RVP11 wrote: The thing is you should be applying to most of those jobs no matter what your grades are.
yeah i did, thus the grades requests.

when i said grades would effect where i targeted, i meant that this semester's grades will decide if i have a realistic shot at DC firms or not.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:29 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:

I have a really fantastic memory so as soon as I saw your quote in this thread I immediately thought about your nonsensical blow up in the other. Didn't even have to think about it. Glad you've seen the error of your ways hon.

Anyway, old football injuries prevent me from running long distances...I stick to low impact exercise these days.
your memory might be good but your ability to read context isn't so strong.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:31 pm

Thanks again y'all :D.

Also, grades matter for 1L jobs for those of us that don't go to T14's. Well, they matter for us for 2L jobs too, but still.
Last edited by keg411 on Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:31 pm

IAFG wrote:
RVP11 wrote: The thing is you should be applying to most of those jobs no matter what your grades are.

when i said grades would effect where i targeted, i meant that this semester's grades will decide if i have a realistic shot at DC firms or not.

All silliness aside, even if you don't have what you think are the best grades, you should apply to DC and wherever else anyway. Also as a female, you have the opportunity to take advantage of events like the SEMJF. You get to spend 20 interview bids with a lot of the top firms in NY and DC before your school's OCI even starts. I got 4 offers out of 5 interviews there. A couple before I even got back on campus to start 2L.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:39 pm

goosey wrote:

congratulations!!!

For a 1L, 4K isn't bad. It's certainly not biglaw, but it beats unpaid interns with a stick.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:42 pm

JazzOne wrote:
goosey wrote:

congratulations!!!

For a 1L, 4K isn't bad. It's certainly not biglaw, but it beats unpaid interns with a stick.
theres a 1L internship for biglaw that pays between 800 and 3100 per week depending on which firm you get matched to. super competitive, obviously. :shock: but some people wind up getting 2nd yr offers out of it.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:43 pm

JazzOne wrote:
goosey wrote:

congratulations!!!

You can't really complain about getting legal experience 1L summer that pays ANYTHING.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:04 pm

IAFG wrote:

Even with a 4.0 you're still an extreme longshot. So again, I'm not sure how grades can affect where you "aim" as a 1L.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:22 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
WrappedUpInBooks wrote:NYU section 5 - K is out.
Thanks for the heads-up!
Dog Gammit.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:40 pm

RVP11 wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Even with a 4.0 you're still an extreme longshot. So again, I'm not sure how grades can affect where you "aim" as a 1L.
Obviously I am being unclear. I meant that waiting on grades is painful because it may influence where I bid as a 2L and therefore which city I end up in long term.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:34 pm

IAFG wrote: Obviously I am being unclear. I meant that waiting on grades is painful because it may influence where I bid as a 2L and therefore which city I end up in long term.
Ah, okay. Yes I misunderstood you.

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:51 pm

columbia grades apparently don't come out until after we arrive back on the 18th. wonderful

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

viking138

Bronze

Post by viking138 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:55 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:columbia grades apparently don't come out until after we arrive back on the 18th. wonderful
Where'd you hear that? A 2L friend of mine said that they had all their grades back before break ended last year. Ahh I don't want to wait anymore!

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:33 pm

weee wrote:ok so I decided to guess afterall, but only in relatives. Torts > K > Prop
Well, I was wrong

K > Torts = Prop

and totally bombed first memo so I'm glad that is a year long course.

filtered

New

Post by filtered » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:41 am

After receiving consistent B-s, i find that I had the highest grade on the graded memo in my Section. I would love for this to make sense.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:42 am

filtered wrote:After receiving consistent B-s, i find that I had the highest grade on the graded memo in my Section. I would love for this to make sense.
Different skill sets.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”