1L grade waiting thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BruceWayne

Gold

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Post by BruceWayne » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:22 pm

romothesavior wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Got my Ks grade just a minute ago. Oh. My. God. Blown away. I can't talk much about my grades on here since I am very much outted at my school, but I am very happy. Well, mostly shocked at this point, but I think I'll be happy once the shock wears off.

And this is not false modesty either. I left at least 1-2 of the short answer questions blank, and only wrote one sentence for a policy question. I was expecting to be at or near the bottom.
Wow-- not to be a jerk but doing this would literally guarantee a B- (bottom of the curve, usually) here at UVA. I'm beginning to believe some of this stuff about the students at the top schools being "better"....although I hate to say that. Congrats to you though!
No offense taken, although I do find it bizarre that you think that the caliber of your students is that much better when the difference between a T20 like mine and a school like yours is a few LSAT points and a small GPA difference.

Also, I didn't say what grade I got. For all you know, I got a sub-median grade and I'm just excited to have not gotten a C.
I don't; I'm highly skeptical that a 2 or 3 point difference (if that?) on the LSAT means anything. That could be the difference between being tired or missing one sentence. I've just heard a lot of people on here say it and seeing your post made me rethink my position a bit. Funny enough some of those same people who act like 2 points is a big difference and constantly talk about how the students at the top 14 are all Albert Einstein's just responded........cough IAFG cough Desert Fox.

In before H20man makes a post about how hard it is to be a White guy in America and how URMS are "stealing" his seat.
Last edited by BruceWayne on Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:25 pm

Cavalier wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Got my Ks grade just a minute ago. Oh. My. God. Blown away. I can't talk much about my grades on here since I am very much outted at my school, but I am very happy. Well, mostly shocked at this point, but I think I'll be happy once the shock wears off.

And this is not false modesty either. I left at least 1-2 of the short answer questions blank, and only wrote one sentence for a policy question. I was expecting to be at or near the bottom.
Wow-- not to be a jerk but doing this would literally guarantee a B- (bottom of the curve, usually) here at UVA. I'm beginning to believe some of this stuff about the students at the top schools being "better"....although I hate to say that. Congrats to you though!
That's ridiculous. I've taken exams where a majority of the class basically left stuff blank. It's not uncommon for an exam to be so difficult that most people will not finish, especially since it makes curving easy for the professor. Furthermore, the numbers difference between WUSTL and UVA is quite small. I'm sure most students at WUSTL would do fine at UVA.
No it's not. My section is loaded with gunners who make bets about who is going to get an A on their final (not joking). I promise you that no one in my section failed to finish an exam. It sucks actually. Another thing that's weird about my section is that a lot of people openly share grades.
Last edited by BruceWayne on Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:27 pm

stratocophic wrote: Edit 2: Almost forgot! Grade prediction for stratocophic - I will have no GPA because my grades are never coming out. This will surely expedite the process for firms wishing to inform me that I will be forever unemployed.
:lol: Nice.

What section are you in? You seriously don't have any grades at all yet? I thought everyone had at least one.

Also, you in STL? I'm thinking about going somewhere to watch the game tonight.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:28 pm

I was informed today that our torts teacher thought our sections exams were the worst she's seen in quite awhile. Not sure if this is good news or bad news.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:33 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

That's ridiculous. I've taken exams where a majority of the class basically left stuff blank. It's not uncommon for an exam to be so difficult that most people will not finish, especially since it makes curving easy for the professor. Furthermore, the numbers difference between WUSTL and UVA is quite small. I'm sure most students at WUSTL would do fine at UVA.
No it's not. My section is loaded with gunners who make bets about who is going to get an A on their final (not joking). I promise you that no one in my section failed to finish an exam. It sucks actually.
Often the people who don't finish exams don't talk about it. And you can't complain about your section until law review announcements are made. Many of the people who like to brag will be getting a harsh lesson on law school in the next two weeks. Last year, a section known as a gunner section had only one person on law review, and another section somehow had nine on law review.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:33 pm

romothesavior wrote:
stratocophic wrote: Edit 2: Almost forgot! Grade prediction for stratocophic - I will have no GPA because my grades are never coming out. This will surely expedite the process for firms wishing to inform me that I will be forever unemployed.
:lol: Nice.

What section are you in? You seriously don't have any grades at all yet? I thought everyone had at least one.

Also, you in STL? I'm thinking about going somewhere to watch the game tonight.
I'm in E. We have the raw score on our open memo, but there were 2 graded assignments that went along with it. Our Legal Practice professor has somehow not managed to grade either, despite the fact that they were turned in 1.5 and 2 months ago. Yeah I'm back in town, lemme know
beach_terror wrote:I was informed today that our torts teacher thought our sections exams were the worst she's seen in quite awhile. Not sure if this is good news or bad news.
Best news possible - makes domination substantially easier and more likely if everyone else sucks; the trick is avoiding being part of the group "everyone else."

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:36 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Wow-- not to be a jerk but doing this would literally guarantee a B- (bottom of the curve, usually) here at UVA. I'm beginning to believe some of this stuff about the students at the top schools being "better"....although I hate to say that. Congrats to you though!
In my experience you'd have to do even worse than that to get a B-.

A+ = you killed the exam in a way that made the professor very happy
A = you killed the exam
A-= you hit all or almost all of the issues, but might have been a bit sloppy in doing so
B+ = you hit the easy stuff, but missed the hard stuff
B = you completely missed some major issues or misapplied a lot of law
B- = ?????

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:37 pm

BruceWayne wrote:No it's not. My section is loaded with gunners who make bets about who is going to get an A on their final (not joking).
You're joking right? This is in no way indicative of the quality of a school or a section. Plenty of gunners will do poorly, and plenty of laid back people will excel.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:38 pm

romothesavior wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:No it's not. My section is loaded with gunners who make bets about who is going to get an A on their final (not joking).
You're joking right? This is in no way indicative of the quality of a school or a section. Plenty of gunners will do poorly, and plenty of laid back people will excel.
+1 this is a horrible metric to measure your section by.

Thinking about others around you only stresses you out, I'd recommend not doing that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:39 pm

romothesavior wrote:
I hope you're right. There were people in my section who skipped meals/washing to study (not joking). I think the majority of the section went instantaneously to studying for the next final after taking the previous one--not to mention studying 10+ hours a day. I know that TLS says that that sort of thing doesn't lead to better grades, but when you're new to the whole law school thing you can't help but wonder when you see your classmates doing that kind of thing.
Last edited by BruceWayne on Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:40 pm

stratocophic wrote:
beach_terror wrote:I was informed today that our torts teacher thought our sections exams were the worst she's seen in quite awhile. Not sure if this is good news or bad news.
Best news possible - makes domination substantially easier and more likely if everyone else sucks; the trick is avoiding being part of the group "everyone else."
I hope to god I'm not in the group of "everyone else". I know I did solid on the intentional torts part and nitpicked it to hell, the negligence I felt like I gave an A-/B+ performance though... we'll see.

WrappedUpInBooks

Bronze

Post by WrappedUpInBooks » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:42 pm

NYU section 5 - K is out.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:42 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
I hope you're right. There were people in my section who skipped meals/washing to study (not joking).
Either I was too dense to notice, or people in my section just weren't doing shit like this.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:44 pm

beach_terror wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
I hope to god I'm not in the group of "everyone else". I know I did solid on the intentional torts part and nitpicked it to hell, the negligence I felt like I gave an A-/B+ performance though... we'll see.
Pointless to worry about what everyone else did. Blindly unassailable self-confidence is always TCR - it's the TLS way (until finals actually hit, at which time the TLS way becomes rampant paranoia and self-flagellation, but you want the pre-finals TLS way, not the post-finals one)

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:48 pm

stratocophic wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
Pointless to worry about what everyone else did. Blindly unassailable self-confidence is always TCR - it's the TLS way (until finals actually hit, at which time the TLS way becomes rampant paranoia and self-flagellation, but you want the pre-finals TLS way, not the post-finals one)
True. Here's to hoping that my classmates are dumber than me (and yes, I'm having a beer at 3:50 because of grade anxiety).

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:50 pm

Just curious... How often are people checking their grades daily?

Before I got my first one, I was really good and only checked it once a day. Once I got my first grade, I started checking more and more frequently and I'm probably up to 10-12 times a day on weekdays and once or twice on the weekend, just for good measure in case someone is working overtime. :lol:

Is this normal, or am I losing all self-control?

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:51 pm

romothesavior wrote:Just curious... How often are people checking their grades daily?

Before I got my first one, I was really good and only checked it once a day. Once I got my first grade, I started checking more and more frequently and I'm probably up to 10-12 times a day on weekdays and once or twice on the weekend, just for good measure in case someone is working overtime. :lol:

Like I've said before, the more grades you get in, the more often you check. It's weird...

But yeah, I'm checking at about the same rate.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:16 pm

Last edited by plum on Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:19 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
I hope you're right. There were people in my section who skipped meals/washing to study (not joking).
Either I was too dense to notice, or people in my section just weren't doing shit like this.
Says Mr. Molestache.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:27 pm

Luckily, our grades only update once a day. While this inevitably means that we experience some delay in getting the results, it prevents me from justifying constant reload.

JordynAsh

Bronze

Post by JordynAsh » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:36 pm

romothesavior wrote:Just curious... How often are people checking their grades daily?

Haven't received any grades, checking every hour or so. :oops:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Baylan

Bronze

Post by Baylan » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:38 pm

My grades are first posted at the school, publicly available (with exam ID # obviously). Of everyone's first exams, my section is the only section that has yet to receive a grade. First exam was Ks, section 1 (my section) was split into three smaller sections, and section 2 was one big section. Prof for section 2 also taught one of the smaller section 1 sections. And has her grades out. Yet my Prof, who had only my mini-section, has not yet returned grades. WTF BBQ

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:41 pm

BruceWayne wrote:No it's not. My section is loaded with gunners who make bets about who is going to get an A on their final (not joking). I promise you that no one in my section failed to finish an exam. It sucks actually. Another thing that's weird about my section is that a lot of people openly share grades.
Being a gunner, not bathing, and studying like a fiend doesn't mean you're actually any good at taking law school exams.

My section was very non-gunnerish, social, good at softball, and we crushed it on grades.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:42 pm

RVP11 wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:No it's not. My section is loaded with gunners who make bets about who is going to get an A on their final (not joking). I promise you that no one in my section failed to finish an exam. It sucks actually. Another thing that's weird about my section is that a lot of people openly share grades.
Being a gunner, not bathing, and studying like a fiend doesn't mean you're actually any good at taking law school exams.

My section was very non-gunnerish, social, good at softball, and we crushed it on grades.
And no matter how good is at law school, a test can be written that they can't finish.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:43 pm

RVP11 wrote:

Why was I not informed this was conducive to doing well? I didn't see it in any of the TLS guides :(

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”