1L grade waiting thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
plum

Bronze

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Post by plum » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:41 pm

Citizenlawyer wrote:Is emailing professor asking when grades may be posted kosher? I just wanted to say I had potential employers on standby expecting the grades to be considered further.
this sounds like a dick move. everyone has employers on standby. but i guess they expect one or two students to be pestering them, so you can be that guy lol.

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:42 pm

One grade in. Pleased with it.

Citizenlawyer

New

Post by Citizenlawyer » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:44 pm

plum wrote:
Citizenlawyer wrote:Is emailing professor asking when grades may be posted kosher? I just wanted to say I had potential employers on standby expecting the grades to be considered further.
this sounds like a dick move. everyone has employers on standby. but i guess they expect one or two students to be pestering them, so you can be that guy lol.
I do not want to be that guy though.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:46 pm

I hate all of you. My Property prof announced today that she will almost probably most likely have all the exams graded by the deadline. Which is the 26th.

WHAT THE FUCK HAVE YOU BEEN DOING FOR A MONTH AND HALF YOU FUCKING HARPY?

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:59 pm

Congrats Romo.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gamecubesupreme

Bronze

Post by Gamecubesupreme » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:02 pm

mistergoft wrote:
Gamecubesupreme wrote:C+ in Civ Pro.

Don't really have any excuses at all...it was my favorite course and my favorite prof (who is highly respected at the school, so it's not like a WTF grade from a visiting professor). Really depresses me that I am only at a median level compared to my class for civ pro.

Still three other courses to cheer me up, but I am not really counting on it anymore.
Sounds like you might have misread a pretty significant question, or otherwise aren't able to apply the law to the facts sufficiently. Meet with your professor before you get too down on yourself.
I definitely didn't read the question wrong. Basically he gave us a 2 page fact-scenario, along with 2 cases that had a similar fact pattern, and told us to draft an opinion in three hours. What caught me completely off-guard was the topic, which was opportunities to be heard (everyone was expecting personal jurisdiction or Erie). However, this can't really be an excuse because everyone was on the same playing field as me, so it's not like I was the only one disadvantaged by the topic.

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:08 pm

Gamecubesupreme wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
Gamecubesupreme wrote:C+ in Civ Pro.

Don't really have any excuses at all...it was my favorite course and my favorite prof (who is highly respected at the school, so it's not like a WTF grade from a visiting professor). Really depresses me that I am only at a median level compared to my class for civ pro.

Still three other courses to cheer me up, but I am not really counting on it anymore.
Sounds like you might have misread a pretty significant question, or otherwise aren't able to apply the law to the facts sufficiently. Meet with your professor before you get too down on yourself.
I definitely didn't read the question wrong. Basically he gave us a 2 page fact-scenario, along with 2 cases that had a similar fact pattern, and told us to draft an opinion in three hours. What caught me completely off-guard was the topic, which was opportunities to be heard (everyone was expecting personal jurisdiction or Erie). However, this can't really be an excuse because everyone was on the same playing field as me, so it's not like I was the only one disadvantaged by the topic.
Jump on that Mullane tip and ride it to the promise land.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:10 pm

I don't even want grades to come out.

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:37 pm

Got one of my grades back.

Felt like I killed the exam after I clicked submit. Result: A

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:41 pm

I think the only class where it might be acceptable would be legal writing, and only because legal writing ended like two months ago (for most students) and students are waiting on their memos to be used for writing samples. I still don't know if I'd wanna be "that guy," but if you framed it in a courteous way and explained that you are only asking because you want to be able to give the employer a date for when to expect your writing sample, that may be appropriate.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:44 pm

romothesavior wrote:Got my Ks grade just a minute ago. Oh. My. God. Blown away. I can't talk much about my grades on here since I am very much outted at my school, but I am very happy. Well, mostly shocked at this point, but I think I'll be happy once the shock wears off.

And this is not false modesty either. I left at least 1-2 of the short answer questions blank, and only wrote one sentence for a policy question. I was expecting to be at or near the bottom.
Wow-- not to be a jerk but doing this would literally guarantee a B- (bottom of the curve, usually) here at UVA. I'm beginning to believe some of this stuff about the students at the top schools being "better"....although I hate to say that. Congrats to you though!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:46 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Wow-- not to be a jerk but doing this would literally guarantee a B- (bottom of the curve, usually) here at UVA. I'm beginning to believe some of this stuff about the students at the top schools being "better"....although I hate to say that. Congrats to you though!
You are a jerk. hth. Congrats though! See how that made the douchey statement which came before it sound better?

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:46 pm

romothesavior wrote:
I think the only class where it might be acceptable would be legal writing, and only because legal writing ended like two months ago (for most students) and students are waiting on their memos to be used for writing samples. I still don't know if I'd wanna be "that guy," but if you framed it in a courteous way and explained that you are only asking because you want to be able to give the employer a date for when to expect your writing sample, that may be appropriate.
Today's our first day back, after turning in our memo's over a month ago. Our legal writing prof just told us that the very earliest we could expect our memos was Friday, but it was most likely gonna be next week.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Melkaba

New

Post by Melkaba » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:47 pm

Well, all grades but one are in.

LW: B (Expected as much)
Property: B (Eh)
Contracts: A- (WTF?!)

LW is kinda disappointing, but I didn't do too hot on the first memo, so who knows. Contracts is a complete WTF.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:47 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Got my Ks grade just a minute ago. Oh. My. God. Blown away. I can't talk much about my grades on here since I am very much outted at my school, but I am very happy. Well, mostly shocked at this point, but I think I'll be happy once the shock wears off.

And this is not false modesty either. I left at least 1-2 of the short answer questions blank, and only wrote one sentence for a policy question. I was expecting to be at or near the bottom.
Wow-- not to be a jerk but doing this would literally guarantee a B- (bottom of the curve, usually) here at UVA. I'm beginning to believe some of this stuff about the students at the top schools being "better"....although I hate to say that. Congrats to you though!
Not if the prof gave a 5 hour exam in three hours. Do you folks at UVA not understand curves?

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:47 pm

BruceWayne wrote:

Brucewayne is a professor at UVA?

No?

oh

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:50 pm

In before Brucewayne rant about racism, NYC, and USNews.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:53 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:In before Brucewayne rant about racism, NYC, and USNews.
It's racist that 2.7/170 doesn't get YHS.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:54 pm

thinly veiled grades bragging is still bragging.

calling out others on being at shittier schools = -.1 GPA points.

hth

Melkaba

New

Post by Melkaba » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:57 pm

Missed this post. Congrats man! I think Contracts was definitely the class that would surprise people in (unfortunately, for better and for worse). But hey, as long as I never have to endure a class like that again, I'm golden.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:57 pm

IAFG wrote:thinly veiled grades bragging is still bragging.

calling out others on being at shittier schools = -.1 GPA points.

hth
Possibly worse since they KNOW it's wrong.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:59 pm

BruceWayne wrote:

No offense taken, although I do find it bizarre that you think that the caliber of your students is that much better when the difference between a T20 like mine and a school like yours is a few LSAT points and a small GPA difference.

Also, I didn't say what grade I got. For all you know, I got a sub-median grade and I'm just excited to have not gotten a C.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:03 pm

OGR3 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Today's our first day back, after turning in our memo's over a month ago. Our legal writing prof just told us that the very earliest we could expect our memos was Friday, but it was most likely gonna be next week.
I feel you. Ours were turned in back in early to mid November, and we're still waiting. In terms of the grade, its a really tight curve and its only 2 credits, so it won't be too drastic on the GPA either way, but it is still frustrating to have to wait that long for a paper.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:06 pm

BruceWayne wrote:

That's ridiculous. I've taken exams where a majority of the class basically left stuff blank. It's not uncommon for an exam to be so difficult that most people will not finish, especially since it makes curving easy for the professor. Furthermore, the numbers difference between WUSTL and UVA is quite small. I'm sure most students at WUSTL would do fine at UVA.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:20 pm

Cavalier wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

That's ridiculous. I've taken exams where a majority of the class basically left stuff blank. It's not uncommon for an exam to be so difficult that most people will not finish, especially since it makes curving easy for the professor. Furthermore, the numbers difference between WUSTL and UVA is quite small. I'm sure most students at WUSTL would do fine at UVA.
Not to mention the fact that we'd get an extra boost from the subconscious sense of quiet desperation we have. [redacted]

Edit: major congrats, Romo - glad to hear you will not, in fact, be dropping out this semester :wink:

Edit 2: Almost forgot! Grade prediction for stratocophic - I will have no GPA because my grades are never coming out. This will surely expedite the process for firms wishing to inform me that I will be forever unemployed.

Edit 3: Jerk statement redacted in light of contriteness
Last edited by stratocophic on Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”