1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
chicagolaw2013
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:11 am

Checking back in. Above median for both Torts and legal writing, like I thought.

Median (thank you God) for Contracts, below median in Civ Pro.

I basically need to CALI at least one class this semester to keep my scholarship. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. And I likely won't be Law Review-ing anytime soon. Oh well.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby traehekat » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:14 am

chicagolaw2013 wrote:Checking back in. Above median for both Torts and legal writing, like I thought.

Median (thank you God) for Contracts, below median in Civ Pro.

I basically need to CALI at least one class this semester to keep my scholarship. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.


What is your scholarship? Top third?

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby JazzOne » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:15 am

uwb09 wrote:do you have any recommended external materials for LRAW? I definitely want to put a large emphasis on this class next semester.

damn it, why did I have to choose a school with a graded LRAW course :?

I wish I could be more helpful. There are some good writing books. Volokh's books are highly recommended. Garner's Red Book is good. But those aren't really what you're looking for. Honestly, the thing that really helped my legal writing was sitting down with a 3L TA and going over a memo. Of course, my particular TA turned out to be one of the top students in his class. I guess I just got lucky, but he really took the time to show me what I was doing wrong. I pretty much credit his help for the fact that I was selected for a legal research board at my school.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby RVP11 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:18 am

chicagolaw2013 wrote:I basically need to CALI at least one class this semester to keep my scholarship


This sentence is a great way to say you go to a TTT.

User avatar
chicagolaw2013
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:27 am

traehekat wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:Checking back in. Above median for both Torts and legal writing, like I thought.

Median (thank you God) for Contracts, below median in Civ Pro.

I basically need to CALI at least one class this semester to keep my scholarship. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.


What is your scholarship? Top third?


3.3 GPA. I'm at a 3.1....shitttttttt.

User avatar
chicagolaw2013
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:27 am

RVP11 wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:I basically need to CALI at least one class this semester to keep my scholarship


This sentence is a great way to say you go to a TTT.


It was an exaggeration. But I have no problem conceding your point. LOL way to be a douche though haha.

random5483
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby random5483 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:30 am

chicagolaw2013 wrote:
traehekat wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:Checking back in. Above median for both Torts and legal writing, like I thought.

Median (thank you God) for Contracts, below median in Civ Pro.

I basically need to CALI at least one class this semester to keep my scholarship. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.


What is your scholarship? Top third?


3.3 GPA. I'm at a 3.1....shitttttttt.



You need a bit under an A- average. Not quite as bad as "CALI"ing a class.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby IAFG » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:32 am

chicagolaw2013 wrote:Checking back in. Above median for both Torts and legal writing, like I thought.

Median (thank you God) for Contracts, below median in Civ Pro.

I basically need to CALI at least one class this semester to keep my scholarship. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. And I likely won't be Law Review-ing anytime soon. Oh well.

That sucks I am sorry. Awful that doing pretty well isn't doing good enough.

User avatar
chicagolaw2013
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:33 am

random5483 wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:
traehekat wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:Checking back in. Above median for both Torts and legal writing, like I thought.

Median (thank you God) for Contracts, below median in Civ Pro.

I basically need to CALI at least one class this semester to keep my scholarship. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.


What is your scholarship? Top third?


3.3 GPA. I'm at a 3.1....shitttttttt.



You need a bit under an A- average. Not quite as bad as "CALI"ing a class.


I know...but I'd love to have that to make me feel better about myself. :mrgreen:

User avatar
chicagolaw2013
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:35 am

IAFG wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:Checking back in. Above median for both Torts and legal writing, like I thought.

Median (thank you God) for Contracts, below median in Civ Pro.

I basically need to CALI at least one class this semester to keep my scholarship. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. And I likely won't be Law Review-ing anytime soon. Oh well.

That sucks I am sorry. Awful that doing pretty well isn't doing good enough.


Eh it is what it is. Thanks for the sympathy, though. Def appreciated.

makebedidi
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:53 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby makebedidi » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:41 am

Grades are in! Torts A, Contracts A-, Crim law A-, and Civ pro B+. Thankfully Civ pro was for 40% so hopefully i can do better this spring. Still waiting on LRW. Fingers crossed on that one.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:06 am

goosey wrote:I think that giving us grades 2 days into spring semester is likely a violation of various human rights laws.


According to the registrar's office, It could be three to four weeks into the next semester's classes before we get all of our grades.

jhawk4life
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 1:22 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby jhawk4life » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:06 am

My grades came out today. I am very relieved. I prepared for the worst, but I have no idea how it will transfer in to rank for jobs and possible law review. Some of the OCI for summer 1L internships are 20% preferred, top 1/3, ect. I am still waiting on 1 class, but I got an A in LARW (top final memo), A- Contract, A- Crim law, and B+ in Torts. My school is based on a 2.8 curve.


Any thoughts?

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby JazzOne » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:07 am

jhawk4life wrote:My grades came out today. I am very relieved. I prepared for the worst, but I have no idea how it will transfer in to rank for jobs and possible law review. Some of the OCI for summer 1L internships are 20% preferred, top 1/3, ect. I am still waiting on 1 class, but I got an A in LARW (top final memo), A- Contract, A- Crim law, and B+ in Torts. My school is based on a 2.8 curve.


Any thoughts?

Good job?

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:13 am

chicagolaw2013 wrote:I basically need to CALI at least one class this semester to keep my scholarship. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Wait, what? Where do you go to school?

And that sucks, my sympathies. I hope you pull it together next semester and I'm sure with some help from your profs, you can.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:08 am

Really hoping for some grades today. Maybe my profs were working hard on grading over the weekend and are turning them in as we speak?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Grizz » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:32 am

romothesavior wrote:Really hoping for some grades today. Maybe my profs were working hard on grading over the weekend and are turning them in as we speak?


Haha that's rich.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:08 pm

rad law wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Really hoping for some grades today. Maybe my profs were drinking beers and watching college football at their winter homes in Florida, laughing about how much grading they still had left working hard on grading over the weekend and are turning them in as we speak?


Haha that's rich.

:cry: FTFM

User avatar
Gamecubesupreme
Posts: 509
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:54 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:10 pm

C+ in Civ Pro.

Don't really have any excuses at all...it was my favorite course and my favorite prof (who is highly respected at the school, so it's not like a WTF grade from a visiting professor). Really depresses me that I am only at a median level compared to my class for civ pro.

Still three other courses to cheer me up, but I am not really counting on it anymore.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby 98234872348 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:32 pm

Gamecubesupreme wrote:C+ in Civ Pro.

Don't really have any excuses at all...it was my favorite course and my favorite prof (who is highly respected at the school, so it's not like a WTF grade from a visiting professor). Really depresses me that I am only at a median level compared to my class for civ pro.

Still three other courses to cheer me up, but I am not really counting on it anymore.

Sounds like you might have misread a pretty significant question, or otherwise aren't able to apply the law to the facts sufficiently. Meet with your professor before you get too down on yourself.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:43 pm

Got my Ks grade just a minute ago. Oh. My. God. Blown away. I can't talk much about my grades on here since I am very much outted at my school, but I am very happy. Well, mostly shocked at this point, but I think I'll be happy once the shock wears off.

And this is not false modesty either. I left at least 1-2 of the short answer questions blank, and only wrote one sentence for a policy question. I was expecting to be at or near the bottom.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby keg411 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:44 pm

Waiting for CivPro to destroy my GPA in a matter of days :(. I really think my exam was awful and ridiculous.

Also, I second JazzOne's suggestion about talking to the TA's in Legal Research & Writing. I wasn't a fan of mine for the most part, but I went more than once and it was probably beneficial even if they told me one or two things that were wrong. You can also try and meet with your professor as mine was quite helpful.

And Romo, congrats! Looks like you are owning :).

stayway
Posts: 1275
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:38 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby stayway » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:26 pm

Sitting in contracts right now listening to prof rambling about some german court.

I need my grades damn it

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:31 pm

I feel bad for those of you back in classes already. We still have another week, although this week we have a career services seminar all week.

Citizenlawyer
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Citizenlawyer » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:40 pm

Is emailing professor asking when grades may be posted kosher? I just wanted to say I had potential employers on standby expecting the grades to be considered further.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 6 guests