1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
GoTribe1

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby GoTribe1 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:37 pm

Random tangent while many of us are still waiting for grades...

I go to a school where Legal Research and Writing is graded-- (which means this past semester I had 5 graded courses). We had mini assignments throughout the semester that were ungraded--the grade was based primarily off a final memo. BUT if you were late turning in any of the ungraded assignments, your overall grade in the class got dropped a letter. Just curious as to how many people had graded LRW classes and whether or not this policy seemed overly harsh to anyone else.

(The other thing is, why oh why did I play so much Black Ops instead of job-hunting/signing up for bar over break?)

HazelEyes

Postby HazelEyes » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:42 pm

This is all just depressing. We use Exam4 and spell check is disabled.

Now I remember why I stopped signing onto TLS once I started school.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:42 pm

GoTribe1 wrote:Random tangent while many of us are still waiting for grades...

I go to a school where Legal Research and Writing is graded-- (which means this past semester I had 5 graded courses). We had mini assignments throughout the semester that were ungraded--the grade was based primarily off a final memo. BUT if you were late turning in any of the ungraded assignments, your overall grade in the class got dropped a letter. Just curious as to how many people had graded LRW classes and whether or not this policy seemed overly harsh to anyone else.

(The other thing is, why oh why did I play so much Black Ops instead of job-hunting/signing up for bar over break?)

My LRW class was graded based on a single final memo as well. We had a policy for late ungraded memos (reduced grade), but I do not recall what it was.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:49 pm

we had graded final memo, but I think the only punishment regarding lateness on ungraded memos was that she wouldn't give you feedback or something? don't believe it damaged our course grade at all

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:49 pm

GoTribe1 wrote:Random tangent while many of us are still waiting for grades...

Harsh, but not to the point that any administrator would care if you complained about it.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:54 pm

ugh, just realized one of my professors awarded .1 or .2 grade points for "exceptional class participation". kind of mad at myself for not making more of an effort during the semester during in class discussions, since it actually DID say in the syllabus this may happen (i just thought it was a scare tactic, otherwise no one would participate). .2 would have bumped me up a grade. :(

hellogoodbye1

Postby hellogoodbye1 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:10 pm

All of my grades and classes for last semester are no longer showing up today, and it says I am not registered for Fall 2010..... Did this happen to anyone else at Berkeley when checking Bearfacts?

screwsandboalts

Postby screwsandboalts » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:22 pm

yeah - same here. maybe berkeleys system is down because i got my crim grade yesterday (first one i got) but today, nothing except the not registered message

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:26 pm

yeah - same here. maybe berkeleys system is down because i got my crim grade yesterday (first one i got) but today, nothing except the not registered message

Same for me - and everyone in my mod basically (as per the mod listserve)

Screwsandboalts - you got your crim grade on a saturday? I was not aware that Bearfacts updates on saturdays. Good to know...

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:31 pm

so my 4 substantive course grades are turning out to be pretty good overall, however my LRAW grade is below median, how the hell do I spin that?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:33 pm

uwb09 wrote:so my 4 substantive course grades are turning out to be pretty good overall, however my LRAW grade is below median, how the hell do I spin that?

Do better next semester. Seriously, hiring attorneys have told me they care about LRLW grades. Some probably do and others may not, but I'd try to get a better grade next semester.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:34 pm

JazzOne wrote:
uwb09 wrote:so my 4 substantive course grades are turning out to be pretty good overall, however my LRAW grade is below median, how the hell do I spin that?

Do better next semester. Seriously, hiring attorneys have told me they care about LRLW grades. Some probably do and others may not, but I'd try to get a better grade next semester.

well ya, but what about for summer internships?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:36 pm

uwb09 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Sorry. I'm a 2L, and I still have OCI on the brain. I wasn't trying to be a smart ass. I really think you should come up with a plan to attack that class more efficiently next semester. As far as 1L summer jobs, I have no idea. Sorry.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:42 pm

JazzOne wrote:
uwb09 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Sorry. I'm a 2L, and I still have OCI on the brain. I wasn't trying to be a smart ass. I really think you should come up with a plan to attack that class more efficiently next semester. As far as 1L summer jobs, I have no idea. Sorry.

do you have any recommended external materials for LRAW? I definitely want to put a large emphasis on this class next semester.

damn it, why did I have to choose a school with a graded LRAW course :?

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:18 pm

do you have any recommended external materials for LRAW? I definitely want to put a large emphasis on this class next semester.

damn it, why did I have to choose a school with a graded LRAW course :?

What helped me with Legal Writing was to go to the professor and sit with him for a long time and to go over what he liked and what he didn't like. You really only have to please one person, so you need to find out what it is exactly your professor wants to see.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:19 pm

Not exactly a final grade, but at least its a grade on something. Got an A on my final memo. I believe it is worth 50% of our semester grade, while I got an A- on the memo that I think is worth 30%. Scales were tipping so well toward an A, but I totally forgot that on the first memo, I got a B+, so I guess that drops me to A-. Sounds fine, but I'm pretty sure my school curves LRW to an A- anyway, so the happiness of that A on my final memo is sort of nullified. But I guess I can't really argue with anything in the A range.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:13 pm

In other news, I just bought a Crock Pot and Brita.

Chupavida

Postby Chupavida » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:15 pm

Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Chupavida wrote:Making easy food and filtering cheap vodka?

What is this filtering cheap vodka you speak of?

And,uh, in related news I forgot a thing of Ketel One at home. Damn.

goosey

Postby goosey » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:54 pm

2 more days.

I think that giving us grades 2 days into spring semester is likely a violation of various human rights laws.

I keep thinking about what my different combination of grades will be

crim- B
torts- A
cov pro- A
LWR- A

^thats confident me

or maybe
crim- B+
torts- B+
civ pro- A
LWR- A

^thats cautiously optimistic me

or then..

Crim- B-
Torts- B+
Civ Pro- B+
LWR- A

I have no idea. ugh. please just give me my grades.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:09 pm

traehekat wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO077nu2m5E

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:17 pm

One more day til we have all our grades. They've been trickling in ever so slowly.

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:19 pm

Geist13 wrote:
traehekat wrote:

Having done a blind taste test, and seen others that newspapers have done, most people can't tell the difference between top shelf vodka and smirnoff.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:23 pm

daesonesb wrote:
Geist13 wrote:
traehekat wrote:

Having done a blind taste test, and seen others that newspapers have done, most people can't tell the difference between top shelf vodka and smirnoff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zefCE_U_36A

Watch frozen beer instead.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:27 pm

Kirkland brand vodka from Costco is surprisingly good. And the bottle is huge.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”