1L grade waiting thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
TigerBeer

Bronze

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Post by TigerBeer » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:27 pm

been waiting on my last grade for a week, i think i am going mildly insane

havent applied to a single 1L summer job, how fucked am i?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
quakeroats wrote: Employment-wise the bottom of the top is currently CMBG.
In this thread, quakeroats tries desperately to justify his tuition money.
U mad?
Nah. I know how deep the more selective firms go into our class. I'm not worrying.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:32 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
U mad?
Nah. I know how deep the more selective firms go into our class. I'm not worrying.
Than Duke? Probably not further at all. Than Gtown, yea a lot further.

A lot of reason Michigan had such a terrible OCI two years ago was because their career services told them to bid on Chicago instead of NYC. What an epically retarded mistake. However Michigan is probably doing as well as V, N and D now.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:35 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

It's okay. Maybe next year Duke will manage to hit the 50% mark in NLJ50 hiring - the fact that they send almost nobody into gov't/PI should help them out.
I've been over this more times than I care to remember, but Michigan doesn't carry the weight it used to. Right now it places about as well as Cornell does. 30 years ago it was on par with Chicago, in another 30 it will be more in line with Boston College.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote: Than Duke? Probably not further at all. Than Gtown, yea a lot further.

A lot of reason Michigan had such a terrible OCI two years ago was because their career services told them to bid on Chicago instead of NYC. What an epically retarded mistake. However Michigan is probably doing as well as V, N and D now.
The information that I've seen seems to suggest that there is a difference between Michigan and Duke in how deep the most selective firms go into the class.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:38 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
U mad?
I'm sure they'd hire Clarence Darrow in a second.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:38 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

It's okay. Maybe next year Duke will manage to hit the 50% mark in NLJ50 hiring - the fact that they send almost nobody into gov't/PI should help them out.
I've been over this more times than I care to remember, but Michigan doesn't carry the weight it used to. Right now it places about as well as Cornell does. 30 years ago it was on par with Chicago, in another 30 it will be more in line with Boston College.
Some solid logic.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:38 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Desert Fox wrote: Than Duke? Probably not further at all. Than Gtown, yea a lot further.

The information that I've seen seems to suggest that there is a difference between Michigan and Duke in how deep the most selective firms go into the class.
You're right, just not the way you think.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:42 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

What info? By all accounts michigans V10 placement was awful the last two years.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:43 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:
Sogui wrote:I have to admit if I got a lousy grade in torts and I had to take some of the PI jobs I've been looking at... I'd be pretty depressed too even though I'd still be "above median".

Seriously some of these jobs sounds like I'll be doing high school intern work for an organization tangentially related to the legal profession. "Preparing media promoting the organization"? Seriously?

A lot of the other stuff on Symplicity is bait and switch job descriptions, with broad descriptions of their work and departments but you dig in 6 pages and find out they only have spots open in their HR department. I'm kinda gettin despressed just thinking about spending my 1L summer doing powerpoints on how some PI group can use Twitter to get their message out!
you, my good sir, are an asshat
What did I do to offend your tender sensibilities? All I ask is that jobs posted to a 1L job listing actually give me some experience in "the law" that we can discuss during 2L OCI, I've heard plenty of stories of people who were miserable with their 1L summer job because weren't doing real, engaging work that should be at least remotely fitting to someone who qualifies for a $3000+/week job in a month or two.

That and being at or above median isn't much of a guarantee to biglaw in this job environment, which is a hell of thing considering I'll be a quarter-million in debt by the time I enter the workforce.

These are all pretty mainstream views, why are you offended?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:44 pm

quakeroats wrote: You're right, just not the way you think.
We can do a PM swap for the median class percentiles that Cravath, Cleary, Kirkland, Gibson, and Ropes & Gray take if you like. I've already seen the data, so I can tell you who wins.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:45 pm

Helmholtz and quakeroats, ITT

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:45 pm

Sogui wrote:I have to admit if I got a lousy grade in torts and I had to take some of the PI jobs I've been looking at... I'd be pretty depressed too even though I'd still be "above median"
why torts in particular?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A&O

Bronze

Post by A&O » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:45 pm

You are being called that for the same reason Tracy Morgan is widely believed to be hilarious. What matters is not what you say, but how you say it.

(Directed toward sogui)

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:16 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
We can do a PM swap for the median class percentiles that Cravath, Cleary, Kirkland, Gibson, and Ropes & Gray take if you like. I've already seen the data, so I can tell you who wins.
--ImageRemoved--

This is a count of associates currently at V10 firms. Note the class-size differential of over 100 students.

someones alt

Bronze

Post by someones alt » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:36 pm

duke sucks

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:37 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
--ImageRemoved--

This is a count of associates currently at V10 firms. Note the class-size differential of over 100 students.
I hope you see why those statistics don't really tell us anything. Also, distinguishing firms on what "Vault tier" they are is retarded.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A&O

Bronze

Post by A&O » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:38 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
--ImageRemoved--

I'm all for saying Michigan is bad at placing people into big law, but this evidence is meaningless.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:44 pm

A&O wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

I'm all for saying Michigan is bad at placing people into big law, but this evidence is meaningless.
Would you care to explain why?

A&O

Bronze

Post by A&O » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:23 pm

Figure it out yourself, smartypants.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:09 pm

has anyone gotten any grades over a weekend?

wishful thinking....

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:52 pm

hopefullaw27 wrote:For the NYU w/ grade distribution questions. I pulled this from another thread.

"Median: 3.3
Top 1/3: 3.5
Top 10%: 3.67
Top 5%: 3.8

Pomery(top 10 students) last year was about a 3.9(although that will fluctuate a bit from year to year) and I *think* a 3.86 or so was good enough to grade on to LR.

This is from bits and pieces posted on TLS/anecdotal so take w grain of salt. I think if your career counselor really likes you you can get them to tell you roughly where you fall as the school has the cutoffs even if they don't ever publish them/use them except to calculate honors."
Was a 3.86 last year the minimum to grade onto LR, or you just know someone who grade on with that GPA?

forty-two

Bronze

Post by forty-two » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:55 pm

Still waiting on one grade and then rank...sigh.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:49 pm

e-mail from one professor today who said they'll be posted tomorrow and the delay was bc the registrar rejected his original grades bc they were slightly higher than the mandated curve

he took the opportunity to caution us that a lot of us will be disappointed bc everyone performed really well on the exam

....so now i'm just a great ball of nerves until tomorrow

huckabees

Bronze

Post by huckabees » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:11 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:e-mail from one professor today who said they'll be posted tomorrow and the delay was bc the registrar rejected his original grades bc they were slightly higher than the mandated curve

he took the opportunity to caution us that a lot of us will be disappointed bc everyone performed really well on the exam

....so now i'm just a great ball of nerves until tomorrow
Is this for Ks? It seemed like everyone studied like mad for Ks this year.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”