1L grade waiting thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Baylan

Bronze

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Post by Baylan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:27 pm

Grade Watch 2011 is over at 47 days. Contracts posted (though not final, pending a grade bump)

The results:
3.36 on a 2.85 curve

A- Torts
C+ Crim
A Civ Pro
B+ Contracts

If I didn't screw up Crim... I would be in great shape :-/

Thats the depressing thing.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:37 pm

goosey wrote:thats a fair scholarship stip...wow. what a relief. :mrgreen:
There is no such thing as a fair scholarship stipulation.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:50 pm

romothesavior wrote:
goosey wrote:thats a fair scholarship stip...wow. what a relief. :mrgreen:
There is no such thing as a fair scholarship stipulation.
Good standing is fair IMO.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:51 pm

Sogui wrote: "Most law students have more in common with Elena Kagan than they thought: she had crappy grades first semester too. The Wall Street Journal reported that Elena Kagan received a few B's as a 1L. She went on to be a straight A student and make law review, but her grades weren't at all impressive that first semester.

She received a B- in Torts, a B in Criminal and a B+ in Administrative law."
Not impressive by any means, but with grade inflation, she was probably in a lot better position on the curve than the 1L's who attend respectable schools today would be with 3.0's.

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:53 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Sogui wrote: "Most law students have more in common with Elena Kagan than they thought: she had crappy grades first semester too. The Wall Street Journal reported that Elena Kagan received a few B's as a 1L. She went on to be a straight A student and make law review, but her grades weren't at all impressive that first semester.

Not impressive by any means, but with grade inflation, she was probably in a lot better position on the curve than the 1L's who attend respectable schools today would be with 3.0's.
The quote is a fallacy. Most law students did not attend Princeton Undergrad and are not currently at Harvard Law School.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:55 pm

CG614 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

The quote is a fallacy. Most law students did not attend Princeton Undergrad and are not currently at Harvard Law School.
But.....but.....all of my friends here at Willamette Law are getting B's and we can still end up as a SCOTUS justice, right?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:55 pm

CG614 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

Who cares about Princeton, she probably got 1st semester pwnd by SEC grads.

That she turned it around and pwnd laws school after that means those firm semester grades mean nothing.

California Babe

Bronze

Post by California Babe » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:59 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
CG614 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

But.....but.....all of my friends here at Willamette Law are getting B's and we can still end up as a SCOTUS justice, right?
Meh. The point to take away from it isn't that you can become a SCOTUS justice with bad grades, but that a bad first semester isn't indicative of the rest of your law school career.

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:00 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
CG614 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

Who cares about Princeton, she probably got 1st semester pwnd by SEC grads.

That she turned it around and pwnd laws school after that means those firm semester grades mean nothing.
Undergrad still matters in the court of public opinion. Justices went to: Georgetown, Cornell, Stanford x 2, Harvard, Princeton x3. Just saying that the above quote doesn't mean a thing to MOST law students.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:03 pm

California Babe wrote:
Meh. The point to take away from it isn't that you can become a SCOTUS justice with bad grades, but that a bad first semester isn't indicative of the rest of your law school career.
Agreed, but my point is that even with good grades after the first semester, your law school and other factors play a big role too. AND she had straight As afterward. So, the real point is that there is no point to take from that quote. It is pointless. (pun intended).

California Babe

Bronze

Post by California Babe » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:08 pm

CG614 wrote:
California Babe wrote:
Agreed, but my point is that even with good grades after the first semester, your law school and other factors play a big role too. AND she had straight As afterward. So, the real point is that there is no point to take from that quote. It is pointless. (pun intended).
That's silly. If you go to a law school where you have no hope of ever making it onto the Supreme Court, making straight A's after your first semester and getting on Law Review is still going to help you find a good job in your market.

In fact, knowing that it is possible to turn your trajectory around after your first semester is arguably a more beneficial thing to know if you are attending a less elite law school, because if you can't turn things around you're probably not getting a job at all.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:08 pm

our con law professor gave us kaegan's transcript the first day of the semester and it was encouraging..she went from straight B's/B- fall semester of 1L to straight A's for the remainder of law school.

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:13 pm

California Babe wrote:
CG614 wrote:
California Babe wrote:
That's silly. If you go to a law school where you have no hope of ever making it onto the Supreme Court, making straight A's after your first semester and getting on Law Review is still going to help you find a good job in your market.

In fact, knowing that it is possible to turn your trajectory around after your first semester is arguably a more beneficial thing to know if you are attending a less elite law school, because if you can't turn things around you're probably not getting a job at all.
OK, I can't argue with a Babe. Agreed, it is possible to turn around your grades, but I just get annoyed at quotes like that. My bad. Like the "Bill Gates started his company out of his garage" type shit. ha

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:13 pm

That is very encouraging. I mean, not in a "wait, I can still make SCOTUS" way, but more in a "I can do better and one bad semester does not mean I'm a failure" way.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:09 pm

California Babe wrote:Meh. The point to take away from it isn't that you can become a SCOTUS justice with bad grades, but that a bad first semester isn't indicative of the rest of your law school career.
But, of course, a bad first semester is predictive of the rest of your law school career.

To suggest otherwise would be to say that first semester grades are random.

California Babe

Bronze

Post by California Babe » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:10 pm

RVP11 wrote:
California Babe wrote:Meh. The point to take away from it isn't that you can become a SCOTUS justice with bad grades, but that a bad first semester isn't indicative of the rest of your law school career.
But, of course, a bad first semester is predictive of the rest of your law school career.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:11 pm

California Babe wrote:
RVP11 wrote:

Is your username fo serious?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:02 am

So, there's been rumors flying about as to which day this week grades will be dropping. I called my school's registrar to get confirmation so that I don't have to start wondering about it as soon as the first rumored day arrives. They told me a mass e-mail would be going out to detail when grades were coming out.

Of course, they wouldn't tell me when the e-mail was going out either. :roll:

crm

Bronze

Post by crm » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:10 am

TTH wrote:So, there's been rumors flying about as to which day this week grades will be dropping. I called my school's registrar to get confirmation so that I don't have to start wondering about it as soon as the first rumored day arrives. They told me a mass e-mail would be going out to detail when grades were coming out.

Thur. 11 a.m.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:17 am

crm wrote:
TTH wrote:So, there's been rumors flying about as to which day this week grades will be dropping. I called my school's registrar to get confirmation so that I don't have to start wondering about it as soon as the first rumored day arrives. They told me a mass e-mail would be going out to detail when grades were coming out.

Thur. 11 a.m.
Gunner.

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:26 am

California Babe wrote:
RVP11 wrote:But, of course, a bad first semester is predictive of the rest of your law school career.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:28 am

California Babe wrote:
RVP11 wrote:

lol

marry me

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:46 am

The point of the quote I provided was to prove:

1) Elite law figures "know what it's like" to get B's, against an earlier poster's claim to the otherwise

2) Weak 1L grades do not condemn you to any fate

It seems like people are trying take far too much out of an innocent inspirational story.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:13 am

Hey everybody!

indicative =/= perfectly predictive.

hth.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:38 am

Sogui wrote:The point of the quote I provided was to prove:

1) Elite law figures "know what it's like" to get B's, against an earlier poster's claim to the otherwise

2) Weak 1L grades do not condemn you to any fate

It seems like people are trying take far too much out of an innocent inspirational story.

MICHAEL JORDAN GOT CUT FROM HIS HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL TEAM

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”