1L grade waiting thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
roofles

New

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Post by roofles » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:09 am

rad law wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
bjsesq wrote: This isn't an AA meeting.
Not for another few years anyway
No way brah Duke has 100% employment 9 mos. after grad dood
I just lol'd my pants

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:11 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
bjsesq wrote: This isn't an AA meeting.
Not for another few years anyway
Ain't that the truth.
AA is for quitters.
this

non sequitur

New

Post by non sequitur » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:44 am

non sequitur wrote:I'll go ahead and try my hand in this. A precautionary note: I could foresee my actual grades in these courses going outside my predictions. Like many of you, I truly don't know what to expect. However, I feel confident in giving the following range predictions.

Torts: C+ to B+. I felt least well after this exam compared to the others. There was a 400 word limit on each essay question. Four essays and ~50 MC. Closed book.

Ks: B- to A-. I felt better about this exam than Torts, but I still did not feel well after the fact. It was a three hour exam in which four hours were allotted. It was too relaxed for my liking, and I am worried my analysis was weak and that I missed many issues. I can't imagine I get below a B-, though. I believe I knew the material fairly well, but who knows. Open book.

Civ Pro: B+ to A+. Felt great about this exam initially after taking it. Feeling worse and worse as time drags on. I know I missed a couple of issues. This was a true issue spotter/write down as much coherent/relevant text as you can. I think this will be my best subject; at the very least in terms of grasping the course material, if not the grade. Closed book.

Crim Law: B to A. Felt pretty good about this, but I know I missed some minor things. I had a strict rule to not discuss the exams, and many of my student-colleagues professed to follow a similar restriction. Unfortunately, I didn't realize my classmates were so loose lipped, and I overheard some of them discussing issues and analysis for this exam. This was the first exam, so I avoided my classmates for the entire day of exams after such an egregious transgression. Closed book.

LW: B- to B+. I was median pwned for the first two memos. The third and final memo was worth half of the class grade which has not yet been released, and I know I made many improvements on it. But I'm sure my classmates did, too, so who really knows.

LR: A- to A. I hated LR with a passion, particularly the dry and monotone professor. But we received grades on assignments throughout the semester, so I'm fairly certain my minimum grade is an A- (barring some horrendous fail on the *worth 20% of grade* final exam).
Civ Pro: A-
Crim Law: A-
Ks: A-
LR: A-
LW: B (wtf?)
Torts: Not yet released.

So far so good. I'm hoping 4 credit hours Torts doesn't train wreck my GPA.

TarHeel2010

New

Post by TarHeel2010 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:23 am

Bedsole wrote:
TarHeel2010 wrote:My school does not do a 4.0 gpa, rather strictly grades on a 100pt scale (also does not equate a number to a letter). 5 out of 6 grades are in (All classes are curved to an 82 MEDIAN).

Torts: 85
Civ Pro: 87
Property: 90
Contracts: 92
Criminal: 93
Leal Writing: not in yet

My average is a 89.6 right now, but hoping to boost it to 90 with my LRW grade.

What do you all think 90 is equivalent to on a 4.0 scale (I know there isn't really a good way to equate it) and where do you think I will fall percentage wise in my class? I'm trying to gauge my chances at law review as well as my rank for job purposes.

Thanks in advance!
Is this at Campbell?
sure is

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:14 am

TarHeel2010 wrote:
Bedsole wrote:
TarHeel2010 wrote:My school does not do a 4.0 gpa, rather strictly grades on a 100pt scale (also does not equate a number to a letter). 5 out of 6 grades are in (All classes are curved to an 82 MEDIAN).

Torts: 85
Civ Pro: 87
Property: 90
Contracts: 92
Criminal: 93
Leal Writing: not in yet

My average is a 89.6 right now, but hoping to boost it to 90 with my LRW grade.

What do you all think 90 is equivalent to on a 4.0 scale (I know there isn't really a good way to equate it) and where do you think I will fall percentage wise in my class? I'm trying to gauge my chances at law review as well as my rank for job purposes.

Thanks in advance!
Is this at Campbell?
sure is
I'm from Raleigh. I got in at Campbell with $$, but they were too stingy. In any case, I familiarized myself with their grading system. That and the Tarheel name I figured you were in NC

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:10 pm

~48 hours until K's kills my GPA :lol:.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:07 pm

keg411 wrote:~48 hours until K's kills my GPA :lol:.
I have that same feeling about Torts. I actually felt the best about Torts of all of my exams but I have a feeling everyone else did too. If I could just keep the GPA I have right now I would be very happy.

Oh, and keg, aren't you mathematically guaranteed top 10% no matter what grade you get on K's?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:08 pm

Nah, you'll be fine. I have been blown away by how true the whole "If you think you did terrible, you probably did pretty good" mantra is.

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:09 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Nah, you'll be fine. I have been blown away by how true the whole "If you think you did terrible, you probably did pretty good" mantra is.
Except for those cases when you think you did terrible and you really did do terrible, like me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:13 pm

romothesavior wrote:
The "you will do the opposite of how you think you did" advice couldn't have been more wrong in my situation. In my first law school exam, I was a bit nervous and shaken. I put in a good effort, but realized right after that I had overlooked a fairly important issue. I knew it wasn't going to be up at par, and I got a B+ accordingly.

My next 2 exams, I felt surprisingly good coming out of. I felt like I hit every point I wanted to hit and couldn't think of a single thing I missed. Now typically that is a sign that the student doesn't actually know enough to realize what he missed, thus the optimism that gets shattered by a median grade. But in both of these exams where I felt like I nailed it, I got A's. So I pretty much had my grades predicted across the board based on how I felt coming out.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:17 pm

dakatz wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
The "you will do the opposite of how you think you did" advice couldn't have been more wrong in my situation. In my first law school exam, I was a bit nervous and shaken. I put in a good effort, but realized right after that I had overlooked a fairly important issue. I knew it wasn't going to be up at par, and I got a B+ accordingly.

My next 2 exams, I felt surprisingly good coming out of. I felt like I hit every point I wanted to hit and couldn't think of a single thing I missed. Now typically that is a sign that the student doesn't actually know enough to realize what he missed, thus the optimism that gets shattered by a median grade. But in both of these exams where I felt like I nailed it, I got A's. So I pretty much had my grades predicted across the board based on how I felt coming out.
Obviously this can either be spot-on or completely opposite of reality, but to add a little more anecdotal evidence I will say that I did the best on one exam I absolutely thought I bombed and one that I was super stressed about but felt decent about afterwords. And I got my worst grade on an exam that I thought I did pretty well on but knew would probably have a pretty tight curve. *shrug*

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:22 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
I have that same feeling about Torts. I actually felt the best about Torts of all of my exams but I have a feeling everyone else did too. If I could just keep the GPA I have right now I would be very happy.

Oh, and keg, aren't you mathematically guaranteed top 10% no matter what grade you get on K's?
It will be close and I'm not sure of the exact Math. If I get one of the two grades that I was between after 50% of my grade, then I'll be fine (I'd gladly sign for the lower of the two; it would be my lowest grade, but would not kill me). If I get lower than that, I drop to 15-20% (I think I did the Math wrong initially; and our curve is totally unpublished).

My class was just so unconventional, and my professor taught in such a different way that I'm not really sure what to expect for the rest of my grade. I think I was being way too overconfident earlier in the week because I was so pumped from my earlier grades that I kind of glossed over the K's wildcard.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:24 pm

You guys just suck at predicting your grades.

I predicted almost all of my 1L grades exactly right. I never experienced the phenomenon of thinking I did horribly and getting a good grade, or thinking I killed it and getting a poor grade.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:29 pm

RVP11 wrote:You guys just suck at predicting your grades.

I predicted almost all of my 1L grades exactly right. I never experienced the phenomenon of thinking I did horribly and getting a good grade, or thinking I killed it and getting a poor grade.
I was pretty much spot with my guesses for torts, property, and LP. I also guessed correctly on how my exam grades would be relative to each other (prop>torts>Ks). My only mistake was in thinking I was getting sub-median in Ks. How I was able to avoid that fate, I really have no idea. I feel like someone else is walking around campus with my Ks grade or something.

California Babe

Bronze

Post by California Babe » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:30 pm

RVP11 wrote:I predicted almost all of my 1L grades exactly right. I never experienced the phenomenon of thinking I did horribly and getting a good grade, or thinking I killed it and getting a poor grade.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:31 pm

California Babe wrote:
RVP11 wrote:I predicted almost all of my 1L grades exactly right. I never experienced the phenomenon of thinking I did horribly and getting a good grade, or thinking I killed it and getting a poor grade.
You're not using that right - it can't be a COOL STORY when it's only two sentences and directly on topic to razzing 1Ls for their poor grade-prediction skills.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:31 pm

+1 My grades followed my confidence level very closely in all 3 classes.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:53 pm

Reassuring as I continue to wait.

Still "feel" like an A in Civ Pro, A- in Torts, B+/B in Crim

California Babe

Bronze

Post by California Babe » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:56 pm

RVP11 wrote:You're not using that right - it can't be a COOL STORY when it's only two sentences and directly on topic to razzing 1Ls for their poor grade-prediction skills.
Sorry. I'll review the manual for how to respond to people sharing stories that no one cares about so as to better prepare myself for the future.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:58 pm

RVP11 wrote:
California Babe wrote:
You're not using that right - it can't be a COOL STORY when it's only two sentences and directly on topic to razzing 1Ls for their poor grade-prediction skills.

You have to give them points for creativity. I was amused.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:10 pm

California Babe wrote:
RVP11 wrote:You're not using that right - it can't be a COOL STORY when it's only two sentences and directly on topic to razzing 1Ls for their poor grade-prediction skills.
Sorry. I'll review the manual for how to respond to people sharing stories that no one cares about so as to better prepare myself for the future.
You should. People sharing stores that no one cares about is 90% of TLS and the internet.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:15 pm

I thought I did badly in Torts, but I ended up booking the class. Why was my prediction wrong? Possibly because the exam was damn hard. Our Contracts exam on the other hand was easy, so I felt confident that I had booked the exam or done damn well. I did do well in Contracts, but I did not book the exam.

Takeaway? Perhaps some of us wrongly feared we did badly in a class because the exam for that class was extremely hard. Hard exams result in everyone in the class doing badly, so our bad performance is better than our classmates. Similary, easy exams can give someone a false sense of having done really well.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:21 pm

I feel like a soulless husk of a human about all my exams. Predictions?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:23 pm

rad law wrote:

Top 5%.

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:30 pm

keg411 wrote:
rad law wrote:

Top 5%.

Rank 1? Soulless husk of a human should translate to a very high rank!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”