1L grade waiting thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Cupidity

Gold

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Post by Cupidity » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:32 pm

plum wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:I kind of think the whole 'everybody in your class is smart' thing is a myth. There are people at my school that I am legitimately shocked graduated from high school.
wow not sure what school this guy goes to but i often feel like the dumbest person at my school.
I feel like half of my class is brilliant and that nearly half are average-hard-workers and that a sizeable handful are idiots.

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:33 pm

Two grades in. Got top 1/3rd or top 1/4 in Con law. Got bottom 1/3rd in legal research(worth 1 credit for the whole year)

So far my GPA has increased, but now I have a fugly grade on my transcript, and it's Legal Research! lol

Zazelmaf

Bronze

Post by Zazelmaf » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:34 pm

missinglink wrote:
Zazelmaf wrote:Property, 90
CivPro, 81 (median)
Still waiting on k and con, scared I won't be able to transfer now (T4). Median is 2.5-2.7, I'm at a 3.2 with last semesters 2 B pluses.
Damn dude, that's a low median. What's a 3.2 percentage-wise?
Guessing 10-15 percent, not really sure though.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:38 pm

Oban wrote:Two grades in. Got top 1/3rd or top 1/4 in Con law. Got bottom 1/3rd in legal research(worth 1 credit for the whole year)

So far my GPA has increased, but now I have a fugly grade on my transcript, and it's Legal Research! lol
TBF all you have to do is tell them how retarded that final was, and how very little it had to with anything required by an actual job. Not to mention the fact that imposing a forced curve on that sort of test is pretty stupid.

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:44 pm

I'm know I can work up some spin by OCI, the trick will be avoiding any negativity, e.g. prof sucked, class is a joke, BS test, etc.

I did well all year in Legal Writing, so that should help out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:48 pm

Oban wrote:I'm know I can work up some spin by OCI, the trick will be avoiding any negativity, e.g. prof sucked, class is a joke, BS test, etc.

I did well all year in Legal Writing, so that should help out.
Oh right, negativity... forgot about that. Could tell them that while the class itself and the weekly assignments were a priority because you knew they'd be important to your abilities as an SA, the final and midterm had to take a backseat when the open brief and memo were coming up right after the final/midterm and your other six finals were worth literally 24 times as much

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:51 pm

PSA: Grades at OCI are like fight club, the first rule is don't talk about them. Everyone interviewing you has been to law school, they understand. You might win them over by being confident, normal, and interesting to talk to. You will never, EVER make a good impression by trying to explain away a grade.

geekrocker37

Bronze

Post by geekrocker37 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:51 pm

beach_terror wrote:90% sure grades are going to be released this week. I am terrified. I can at least be happy I know I'm guaranteed at least one A- (although its probably an A) - the others, who fucking knows.
Got that same feeling dude. Just waiting for that surprise email, and the euphoria/desperation that will follow.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:54 pm

geekrocker37 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:90% sure grades are going to be released this week. I am terrified. I can at least be happy I know I'm guaranteed at least one A- (although its probably an A) - the others, who fucking knows.
Got that same feeling dude. Just waiting for that surprise email, and the euphoria/desperation that will follow.
I stopped by the registrar and asked, she almost told me but then said we'd get an email. She let it slip out that the grades are up, but they're computing rank.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:00 pm

thesealocust wrote:PSA: Grades at OCI are like fight club, the first rule is don't talk about them. Everyone interviewing you has been to law school, they understand. You might win them over by being confident, normal, and interesting to talk to. You will never, EVER make a good impression by trying to explain away a grade.
Gracias

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:17 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I know splitters at the top, the bottom and the middle. I know reverse splitters at the top the bottom and the middle. I just don't see much correlation.
You guys seriously talk about scores once you're in? The extent of anyone's admit quals that I know stem from "I'm still confused how I got in here" or "I can't believe I signed up for crushing debt over lower-ranked scholly" comments.

ObLaDiObLaDa

New

Post by ObLaDiObLaDa » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:00 pm

beach_terror wrote: I stopped by the registrar and asked, she almost told me but then said we'd get an email. She let it slip out that the grades are up, but they're computing rank.
Ughhh. I fully expected an email today because last year, they emailed us on a Tuesday to say that grades would be up on Friday afternoon, then emailed us early afternoon that Thursday to tell us grades would be able to be checked within 25 minutes.

That was the most adrenaline-packed 25 minutes of hitting refresh since the October 2008 LSAT scores came out. I'm sure I'll be experiencing this again sometime in the next few days.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:03 pm

Friday is judgment day for me. Gonna be a long day with the refresh button. Shame I don't work Fridays. I could use the distraction to make the day less painful. That night is either going to be depressed sulking or a night of euphoric celebration. Its that black or white for me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:04 pm

ObLaDiObLaDa wrote:
beach_terror wrote: I stopped by the registrar and asked, she almost told me but then said we'd get an email. She let it slip out that the grades are up, but they're computing rank.
Ughhh. I fully expected an email today because last year, they emailed us on a Tuesday to say that grades would be up on Friday afternoon, then emailed us early afternoon that Thursday to tell us grades would be able to be checked within 25 minutes.

That was the most adrenaline-packed 25 minutes of hitting refresh since the October 2008 LSAT scores came out. I'm sure I'll be experiencing this again sometime in the next few days.
The wait as bad for 2L as it was 1L? I hope not, this is TERRRRRRRRRRRIBLE.

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:06 pm

beach_terror wrote:
ObLaDiObLaDa wrote:

The wait as bad for 2L as it was 1L? I hope not, this is TERRRRRRRRRRRIBLE.

it is not. 3L here, and waiting for 2L grades was not nearly as agonizing as a waiting for 1L grades.

ObLaDiObLaDa

New

Post by ObLaDiObLaDa » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:12 pm

beach_terror wrote:The wait as bad for 2L as it was 1L? I hope not, this is TERRRRRRRRRRRIBLE.
It really isn't (and definitely wasn't for 2L fall semester for me) but I am so certain that I just bombed the helllllllll out of one of my finals that I'm really nervous about it. I know a lot of TLSers end up doing well on the exams they think they bombed, but I don't see how that could possibly happen in my case. Everyone left the exam feeling confused but I literally had no grasp of the material and half the time wasn't entirely sure what issues the hypos were hinting at. (Don't worry about what class unless you're going into environmental law. If you are, be worried.)

I felt the same kind of feeling (but much less intense) about Ks in my 1L year and that ended up being my only stupid C+. So that's why I'm exceptionally worried as a 2L.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:16 pm

ObLaDiObLaDa wrote:
beach_terror wrote:The wait as bad for 2L as it was 1L? I hope not, this is TERRRRRRRRRRRIBLE.
It really isn't (and definitely wasn't for 2L fall semester for me) but I am so certain that I just bombed the helllllllll out of one of my finals that I'm really nervous about it. I know a lot of TLSers end up doing well on the exams they think they bombed, but I don't see how that could possibly happen in my case. Everyone left the exam feeling confused but I literally had no grasp of the material and half the time wasn't entirely sure what issues the hypos were hinting at. (Don't worry about what class unless you're going into environmental law. If you are, be worried.)

I felt the same kind of feeling (but much less intense) about Ks in my 1L year and that ended up being my only stupid C+. So that's why I'm exceptionally worried as a 2L.
See pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Baylan

Bronze

Post by Baylan » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:42 pm

Cruel twist of fate. I receive email saying "Grade Posted."

Immediately log into school's grade website... It is the second semester of my LRW grade. I "passed" again.

can I just /killself yet?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:42 am

dudders wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I know splitters at the top, the bottom and the middle. I know reverse splitters at the top the bottom and the middle. I just don't see much correlation.
You guys seriously talk about scores once you're in? The extent of anyone's admit quals that I know stem from "I'm still confused how I got in here" or "I can't believe I signed up for crushing debt over lower-ranked scholly" comments.
The number of TLSers at my school is sicken, and that's how I know many peoples scores.

I also lost a bet at a bar review about who had hte worst UGPA.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:45 am

ObLaDiObLaDa wrote:

A solid rule of thumb is that if it was just hard as fuck, you can't tell. But if you feel like it wasn't hard, and you just were doing poorly, or missed an issue, you did probably fuck it up.

I knew when I fucked up Contracts and IP.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:34 am

Desert Fox wrote:
ObLaDiObLaDa wrote:

A solid rule of thumb is that if it was just hard as fuck, you can't tell. But if you feel like it wasn't hard, and you just were doing poorly, or missed an issue, you did probably fuck it up.

This is credited. I knew when I fucked up property, although I didn't know when I fucked up my K's final.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:53 am

B+ in property. I'll take it - totally fucked up my RAP question.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:56 am

Desert Fox wrote:A solid rule of thumb is that if it was just hard as fuck, you can't tell. But if you feel like it wasn't hard, and you just were doing poorly, or missed an issue, you did probably fuck it up.

My success in a course had a direct correlation to how much I liked it. Yipppee! course= win. Hate this course= major fail.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:57 am

talked with my friend yesterday who told me he did really well in property. we're both in the same property class, and although i think he was slightly more adept at property than i was, i don't think the difference was large. now i've got a huge itch to check what grade i got, but i really want to wait until all the grades are out so i can get it done all at once. should have abandoned that leg of the conversation immediately.

J-tow10

Bronze

Post by J-tow10 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:22 pm

Oban, what section are you in? Still no grades for B.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”