1L grade waiting thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
romothesavior

Diamond

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Post by romothesavior » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:04 am

Lawquacious, +1 to all of that. I think that's similar to how I feel. I'm stressed, nervous, questioning, and a little fearful, but I really think I'm going to grind it out no matter what happens. And I do enjoy learning about and talking about the law, I just hate the way that American law schools are structured and I hate that the difference between making bank and making jack is a series of tests that have nada to do with practicing law. But I'm gonna keep playin the game, because I do genuinely want to be a lawyer.

Good luck to you, I hope (almost) everyone ITT does well.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:15 am

romothesavior wrote:Lawquacious, +1 to all of that. I think that's similar to how I feel. I'm stressed, nervous, questioning, and a little fearful, but I really think I'm going to grind it out no matter what happens. And I do enjoy learning about and talking about the law, I just hate the way that American law schools are structured and I hate that the difference between making bank and making jack is a series of tests that have nada to do with practicing law. But I'm gonna keep playin the game, because I do genuinely want to be a lawyer.

:?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:17 am

Honestly, since no one ITT goes to my school, I hope yall do well.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:21 am

IAFG wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Lawquacious, +1 to all of that. I think that's similar to how I feel. I'm stressed, nervous, questioning, and a little fearful, but I really think I'm going to grind it out no matter what happens. And I do enjoy learning about and talking about the law, I just hate the way that American law schools are structured and I hate that the difference between making bank and making jack is a series of tests that have nada to do with practicing law. But I'm gonna keep playin the game, because I do genuinely want to be a lawyer.

Okay, I will wish it to everyone. I just kinda wanted that Sogui guy to eat a little crow.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:22 am

romothesavior wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Okay, I will wish it to everyone. I just kinda wanted that Sogui guy to eat a little crow.
jesusthesavior wrote: pray for your enemies.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:17 am

IAFG wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
IAFG wrote:

I'll see your savior and raise you a courage wolf:

...but yeah, I seriously hope everyone did as well as possible on exams.

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:41 am

Lawquacious wrote:@Romo. Cool man, thanks for clarifying. Yeah, def. hope you do well, and I imagine you prob won't face that dilemma (of being below median). If I end up around median, especially after the full first year, I think I would def have a hard time accepting it, and in my case I'm at a considerably lower-ranked school that you (T50 though). I basically decided that I'm going to stick with law school pretty much no matter what (as far as it is in my control) despite my concerns about jobs and my questions about the fit of being a lawyer in general. I just think I'll be way more pleased with myself in the long run knowing I completed the degree v. feeling like a quitter for dropping out. I realize there are economic factors in the balance, but paying a considerable amount for a degree never completed doesn't seem to make as much sense to me as completing it even if it doesn't pay off right away or maybe is only used indirectly as an additional knowledge and skill base for going into a non-legal job.

I've heard that right after 1L grades come out (I think esp. 1st semester grades but am not sure) is when people start to really question whether its worth it. I know I'll really struggle with it if I don't grade well, but I feel I'm committed to finishing the J.D. regardless. And I do have genuine questions and concerns about whether legal practice is right for me aside from the financial and job concerns. However, I know I am def interested in law generally, and I have found pursuing my interests seems to pay off in the long-run for me.
Couldn't agree more with this entire thing. My mom asked me the other day why I'm putting so much pressure on myself to do well. I definitely love studying the law, my school, classmates, professors and location and I think I would be absolutely devastated if my grades said otherwise. But, even if I fall at median or even below I see myself battling through regardless as well. I don't mean to get all sappy and cliché but nothing in life has ever just been simple for me. I feel decently well about my exams, and I'm just going to pray to God that he'll give me some sort of sign that I'm supposed to be here because I'm the happiest (despite the stress/no sleep) I've been in a long time.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:30 pm

IAFG wrote:
flyingspaghettimonsterthesavior wrote:No

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:13 pm

Alright, now that Christmas is over I'll join the fray here. I think I've successfully lowered my expectations to a level where I couldn't possibly be disappointed, but we'll see what happens.

I just can't get over the feeling that everyone else spotted at least as many issues as I did and applied law to fact, but maybe i have a skewed perception of reality.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:12 pm

hoping for 3.4-3.5, maybe even better; will be surprised if i am below median, and will likely consider seppuku. anyone who feels confident in their ability to strike a clean blow can be my second. none of this limp wristed hand wringing while i've got my guts pooling around my feet.

WrappedUpInBooks

Bronze

Post by WrappedUpInBooks » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:13 am

I predict that I will receive a pass in legal writing.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:17 am

WrappedUpInBooks wrote:I predict that I will receive a pass in legal writing.
bold.

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:30 am

I'm really starting to wish my school did pass/fail. The stress is unreal worrying about grades. Yuck.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:33 am

as stars burn wrote:
I'm really starting to wish my school did pass/fail. The stress is unreal worrying about grades. Yuck.
Agreed. Did tons of work for LRW with measly payoff in terms of credit. Though if I fuck it up badly I will rejoice i guess.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:27 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
bold.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:29 am

"law school basically rage fucks your brain until it gets tired, then does it all over again"

well said, betasteve

well said

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:24 am

Grade dreams are back :(.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:46 pm

15 days till grades..

MSUPHL

Bronze

Post by MSUPHL » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:50 pm

I was pretty confident that I did somewhat well (around median) before entering this thread. Now, I feel like I prob got around bottom 1/3. Oh well, we will see soon. I just didnt study THAT much like you people seem to have (14 hours a day for multiple days!?!) I simply did all the assigned reading, only used a supplement for contracts, made outlines based on material discussed in class and what prof stressed in class, during reading week studied 4-8 hours per day depending on the day, and not at all from the casebook, rather only from my edited notes (i took paper notes each class then re wrote the important parts in my cpu after class), etc...we will see. I felt confident after taking it, but since its all on a curve, who the fk knows.

Oh and memo handed in on Nov 23rd, we still have no grade!

Triangles

New

Post by Triangles » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:13 pm

I can't decide whats worse, waiting for grades, or waiting for a flight to NYC after mine was canceled. At least the flight thing gets news coverage, so the world can know my plight. I want TV crews to show up and ask me how I think I did in Contracts..

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:56 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
kalvano wrote:I fucking rocked being below median.
High five, me too!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:58 pm

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:
High five, me too!

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:10 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:
High five, me too!

Remember, grades DO NOT define who you are as a person.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:11 pm

The same however can not be said for your future job that is entirely dependent on these grades.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:11 pm

D. H2Oman wrote: Remember, grades DO NOT define who you are as a person.
just ask corsair

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”