1L grade waiting thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
OGR3

Silver

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Post by OGR3 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:15 pm

Bedsole wrote:No Torts grade at 5:30 tells me our prof won't have them for us til next week. If 10 out of 12 of the 1L professors can have their grades in by now, why can't she?
Don't worry. I'm in the same boat.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:30 pm

OGR3 wrote:
Bedsole wrote:No Torts grade at 5:30 tells me our prof won't have them for us til next week. If 10 out of 12 of the 1L professors can have their grades in by now, why can't she?
Don't worry. I'm in the same boat.
ORLY? Maybe my prof is a family friend and took the trip to Cali also.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:03 pm

Received my last grade just a few hours ago. While I didn't knock it out of the park like I thought/hoped I did (it was torts... everybody feels good about it), it was solid enough for me to be satisfied with my semester. It is very relieving to have all my grades back and know what my approximate %ile is. Looking forward to gettin' after it at the bar tonight like you NUers seemed to have done last night.

Good luck to everyone else! Hope everybody who is still waiting gets their grades soon and they are all good.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:09 pm

romothesavior wrote:Received my last grade just a few hours ago. While I didn't knock it out of the park like I thought/hoped I did (it was torts... everybody feels good about it), it was solid enough for me to be satisfied with my semester. It is very relieving to have all my grades back and know what my approximate %ile is. Looking forward to gettin' after it at the bar tonight like you NUers seemed to have done last night.

Good luck to everyone else! Hope everybody who is still waiting gets their grades soon and they are all good.
No matter what my grades are, I will hit zero bars. Studying is the only thing that makes me satisfied. I am a soulless husk of a human.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:17 pm

rad law wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Received my last grade just a few hours ago. While I didn't knock it out of the park like I thought/hoped I did (it was torts... everybody feels good about it), it was solid enough for me to be satisfied with my semester. It is very relieving to have all my grades back and know what my approximate %ile is. Looking forward to gettin' after it at the bar tonight like you NUers seemed to have done last night.

No matter what my grades are, I will hit zero bars. Studying is the only thing that makes me satisfied. I am a soulless husk of a human.
You really are, and it depresses me. The guy who wrote the book on how to be rad has become a shell of his former self. You are a victim of this horrible profession that we call law.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:19 pm

romothesavior wrote:
rad law wrote:

You really are, and it depresses me. The guy who wrote the book on how to be rad has become a shell of his former self. You are a victim of this horrible profession that we call law.
Last 3 months have been anxiety-filled. After I get a jerb perhaps I will return to the Rad of yore.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:22 pm

rad law wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
rad law wrote:

Last 3 months have been anxiety-filled. After I get a jerb perhaps I will return to the Rad of yore.
Did you ever send out apps to the bham firms (though I suppose you might as well just wait till grades are out)? It's def not too late.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:24 pm

Aqualibrium wrote: Did you ever send out apps to the bham firms (though I suppose you might as well just wait till grades are out)? It's def not too late.
Decided to wait until grades to make the next move. They're all coming to 1L LOCI. Mass mailed home-market and scored a couple interviews.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:27 pm

rad law wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote: Did you ever send out apps to the bham firms (though I suppose you might as well just wait till grades are out)? It's def not too late.
Decided to wait until grades to make the next move. They're all coming to 1L LOCI. Mass mailed home-market and scored a couple interviews.

Good move.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:31 pm

rad law wrote:
You mean 1LOLOLOLOLOCI

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:34 pm

romothesavior wrote:
rad law wrote:
You mean 1LOLOLOLOLOCI
This. Who really gets jobs these days as a 1L anyway.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:36 pm

I spent the first 3/4 of last semester intoxicated. This semester is starting out in a very similar manner.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:36 pm

rad law wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
rad law wrote:
You mean 1LOLOLOLOLOCI
3-4 people from my class did. It's possible...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:39 pm

rad law wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
rad law wrote:
You mean 1LOLOLOLOLOCI

I always want to raise my hand when people ask questions like this, but then I realize I'm the TLS URM exception.

Um, but yeah Birmingham (and Alabama in general) has like a gazzilion (comparatively speaking)1L summer associate positions. I'd say about 30-40 percent of my class had at least 1 half of the summer occupied by an SA position. Some, i'd say probably about half of the 30-40 percent, had two.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:43 pm

Aqualibrium wrote: I always want to raise my hand when people ask questions like this, but then I realize I'm the TLS URM exception.

Um, but yeah Birmingham (and Alabama in general) has like a gazzilion (comparatively speaking)1L summer associate positions. I'd say about 30-40 percent of my class had at least 1 half of the summer occupied by an SA position. Some, like myself, and probably about half of the 30-40 percent, had two.
Haha I'm hoping half-azn fulfills some sort of unspoken diversity spot they have going.

That's awesome man. Because only 2 ATL firms are coming to OCI and like 4 in Nashville, I might have quite a few bids to throw to Birmingham.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:47 pm

rad law wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote: I always want to raise my hand when people ask questions like this, but then I realize I'm the TLS URM exception.

Um, but yeah Birmingham (and Alabama in general) has like a gazzilion (comparatively speaking)1L summer associate positions. I'd say about 30-40 percent of my class had at least 1 half of the summer occupied by an SA position. Some, like myself, and probably about half of the 30-40 percent, had two.
Haha I'm hoping half-azn fulfills some sort of unspoken diversity spot they have going.

That's awesome man. Because only 2 ATL firms are coming to OCI and like 4 in Nashville, I might have quite a few bids to throw to Birmingham.
Unless you have unlimited bidding, I wouldn't use too many. You're probably better off bidding on a few, and then sending apps to the major players (Bradley, Balch, Baker, Maynard, Starnes, Lightfoot). I would especially discourage you from bidding on any Bham firms that don't require a cover letter. That'd be a waste. You need the cover letter to explain your interest in Bham. They are major xenophobes. No need to waste bids if it doesnt show on your resume.
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:47 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Um, but yeah Birmingham (and Alabama in general) has like a gazzilion (comparatively speaking)1L summer associate positions. I'd say about 30-40 percent of my class had at least 1 half of the summer occupied by an SA position. Some, i'd say probably about half of the 30-40 percent, had two.
You may be right and I admit I know nothing about the Alabama market, but this seems extraordinarily high. Like too high for me to believe.

Where do you go to law school?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:56 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
rad law wrote:

Unless you have unlimited bidding, I wouldn't use too many. You're probably better off bidding on a few, and then sending apps to the major players (Bradley, Balch, Baker, Maynard, Starnes, Lightfoot). I would especially discourage you from bidding on any Bham firms that don't require a cover letter. That'd be a waste. You need the cover letter to explain your interest in Bham. They are major xenophobes. No need to waste bids if it doesnt show on your resume.
They haven't explained to us how our OCI process works, but I'll keep this in mind for sure. Also, our OCI list is pretty sparse. Bham firms make up about a third of third of the offerings at OCI. It would be impossible not to bid on some. I'll be in touch with you about this, I expect.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:57 pm

I'm always available...

attractive_NUisance

New

Post by attractive_NUisance » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:57 pm

I am happy to have done well - anyone know what percentile 3.81 is at NU?

Melkaba

New

Post by Melkaba » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:10 pm

Welp, grade waiting is over. Essentially, it's Contracts > Property > Legal Writing > Torts. What would have been a pretty median-tastic first semester was kinda saved by an absurdly high Contracts grade. Meh, too bad I really don't know what to improve on for next semester.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:24 pm

Melkaba wrote:Welp, grade waiting is over. Essentially, it's Contracts > Property > Legal Writing > Torts. What would have been a pretty median-tastic first semester was kinda saved by an absurdly high Contracts grade. Meh, too bad I really don't know what to improve on for next semester.
Congrats, that's a good start. I'd recommend talking to T and M (especially T) about how you can improve your exams for next semester.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:33 pm

Still 2 more weeks before I get grades. This is like an itch I can't scratch.

J-tow10

Bronze

Post by J-tow10 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:33 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Melkaba wrote:Welp, grade waiting is over. Essentially, it's Contracts > Property > Legal Writing > Torts. What would have been a pretty median-tastic first semester was kinda saved by an absurdly high Contracts grade. Meh, too bad I really don't know what to improve on for next semester.
Congrats, that's a good start. I'd recommend talking to T and M (especially T) about how you can improve your exams for next semester.
I'm jealous you guys have LP grades already. Still waiting for ours...

Also, I hate whoever decided to not allow GPA to update until overnight. After I realized the GPA I was looking at today didn't include Torts I had a kind of a /self moment. However, I thought I bombed Ks and it turned out to be my best. Weird.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:46 pm

attractive_NUisance wrote:I am happy to have done well - anyone know what percentile 3.81 is at NU?
Near top 10%.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”