1L grade waiting thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
nygrrrl

Gold

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Post by nygrrrl » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:55 pm

Lawless25 wrote:You probably do know me and I doubt contracts grades will be in till after semester begins. Johnson is notoriously slow with grading.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I kind of thought I knew you. We should really introduce ourselves properly, next week.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:07 pm

Update for the BU folks. Lady at registrar said grades going out tonight. Now im insanely nervous and wont possibly get work done in the next few hours. Judgment day is upon us

BULAW13

New

Post by BULAW13 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:12 pm

dakatz wrote:Update for the BU folks. Lady at registrar said grades going out tonight. Now im insanely nervous and wont possibly get work done in the next few hours. Judgment day is upon us
:shock:

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:37 pm

BULAW13 wrote:
dakatz wrote:Update for the BU folks. Lady at registrar said grades going out tonight. Now im insanely nervous and wont possibly get work done in the next few hours. Judgment day is upon us
:shock:
If there was an emoticon for "I'm going to throw up from anxiety" I would post it here.

SeymourShowz

Bronze

Post by SeymourShowz » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:37 pm

finally got all my grades.. A-, A-, A-, B. The B was disappointing but not unexpected. I choked on the exam and answered a question completely wrong. Ended up with a 3.5 for the semester on a 3.0 curve. I'm not really sure if a 3.5 is good or bad, but I'm used to doing better than that. Apparently our class rank doesn't come out for another week or so.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

uzpakalis

Bronze

Post by uzpakalis » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:45 pm

SeymourShowz wrote:finally got all my grades.. A-, A-, A-, B. The B was disappointing but not unexpected. I choked on the exam and answered a question completely wrong. Ended up with a 3.5 for the semester on a 3.0 curve. I'm not really sure if a 3.5 is good or bad, but I'm used to doing better than that. Apparently our class rank doesn't come out for another week or so.
I imagine that is at least top 25

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:48 pm

SeymourShowz wrote:finally got all my grades.. A-, A-, A-, B. The B was disappointing but not unexpected. I choked on the exam and answered a question completely wrong. Ended up with a 3.5 for the semester on a 3.0 curve. I'm not really sure if a 3.5 is good or bad, but I'm used to doing better than that. Apparently our class rank doesn't come out for another week or so.
Jeez, Seymour - sounds pretty sweet to me. Congrats!

wesker

New

Post by wesker » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:53 pm

here we have a 3.17 curve and a 3.5 would be top 15% according to c/o 2012 spring rankings

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:23 pm

I emailed my registrar's office to see if they knew when I might expect my last grade, basically to see if she had submitted it yet. Here's the response I got:

"Bedsole",
Hi! Grades are due by the 18th so the faculty have until then to submit them. We
enter the grades the same day as we receive them from faculty. The University grade
system updates everyday around 5:00 so the only advice I have for you at this point
is to keep checking after 5. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

"Registrar at Pitt"

If I have to wait until Tuesday, I may have a nervous breakdown.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:24 pm

so heres an interesting thing: there are probably about 5 B-'s given in our torts class--I was never a study group person but did go with a group of girls to the academic success lady to discuss my tort's professor's old exams--we went through about 5 A answers and found common denominators, like the fact that he loved casual conversation-style exams...that people blatantly kissed up to him ("absolutely professor!"), etc....

there were 5 of us. 3 of us got a B- and we all did the same thing (mirrored the A answers style)

hmph.

phonepro

Bronze

Post by phonepro » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:25 pm

i posted this before, but:
Crim: A-
Writing: A
Civ Pro: B+
Torts: B+

Everything was as expected except for torts, i thought i killed it. I met with my torts professor today and sure enough i got the highest grade in the class on the fact pattern. However, I somehow managed to get 6... 6 MC wrong out of 10. KILL ME. She's really cool (young first year professor) and we went over each one. I convinced her one of them was wrong, she looked it up in the book and all. She said she will see if it makes a difference in my grade but even if it does, its very hard to get a grade changed. I kinda wish i didn't go b/c now i'm just more pissed to know. oh well!

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:25 pm

Last edited by dakatz on Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:26 pm

Congrats man, go get shitfaced. That's awesome news.
Last edited by beach_terror on Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JordynAsh

Bronze

Post by JordynAsh » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:27 pm

Last edited by JordynAsh on Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:27 pm

goosey wrote:so heres an interesting thing: there are probably about 5 B-'s given in our torts class--I was never a study group person but did go with a group of girls to the academic success lady to discuss my tort's professor's old exams--we went through about 5 A answers and found common denominators, like the fact that he loved casual conversation-style exams...that people blatantly kissed up to him ("absolutely professor!"), etc....

there were 5 of us. 3 of us got a B- and we all did the same thing (mirrored the A answers style)

hmph.

Not sure how much the style actually matters. One of the professors for another section at my school once gave the highest grade to someone who answered the question with bulleted sentence fragments. For some profs, either the elements they want are there, or they're not.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:32 pm

Bedsole wrote:
goosey wrote:so heres an interesting thing: there are probably about 5 B-'s given in our torts class--I was never a study group person but did go with a group of girls to the academic success lady to discuss my tort's professor's old exams--we went through about 5 A answers and found common denominators, like the fact that he loved casual conversation-style exams...that people blatantly kissed up to him ("absolutely professor!"), etc....

hmph.

Not sure how much the style actually matters. One of the professors for another section at my school once gave the highest grade to someone who answered the question with bulleted sentence fragments. For some profs, either the elements they want are there, or they're not.
well in this case, all the A answers were the same style and he mentioned in class that he wants us to talk to him in our exam and not spell out every element, etc. he said to use the terminology we used in class and stuff.

I cant even begin to understand what happened here...maybe he was annoyed by the blatant use of A answers to model our answers? He doesnt distribute model answers because he said everyone will try and give him the same thing then...and he doesnt grade with points, so all I can think of is that our exams just pissed him off.

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:37 pm

HAPPY!!!!!!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:39 pm

so it seems cls is basically the last school in the universe to release grades.

out of curiosity, did all of you who have received grades already restart classes at your school? did you exams finish before dec 20?

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:44 pm

BU peeps - what does our curve distribution look like?

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:45 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:so it seems cls is basically the last school in the universe to release grades.

out of curiosity, did all of you who have received grades already restart classes at your school? did you exams finish before dec 20?

Our last exam was Dec. 16. Our first day back was Jan. 10

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:47 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:so it seems cls is basically the last school in the universe to release grades.

Our last exam was the 20th, we resume classes next Tuesday.
We have.
No grades.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:50 pm

nygrrrl wrote:

Our last exam was the 20th, we resume classes next Tuesday.
We have.
No grades.

No grades=total suck! I just want some indication of how I did. I still don't know if I passed LPW and that class ended two months ago.

rockthelaw

Bronze

Post by rockthelaw » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:55 pm

Fordham 1L. No grades. Annoyed even more because our career services office just sent out an email inviting us to a reception with eight white shoe firms next week. This seems like a great opportunity when none of us have any idea whether these firms will even talk to us when it matters. I'm just so frustrated with this process right now.

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:56 pm

goosey wrote:well in this case, all the A answers were the same style and he mentioned in class that he wants us to talk to him in our exam and not spell out every element, etc. he said to use the terminology we used in class and stuff.

I cant even begin to understand what happened here...maybe he was annoyed by the blatant use of A answers to model our answers? He doesnt distribute model answers because he said everyone will try and give him the same thing then...and he doesnt grade with points, so all I can think of is that our exams just pissed him off.
No reason to think your group were the only people who modeled their style after model answers. Other people probably did that AND used more terminology, spotted more elements, etc.

Bronze

Post by 174 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:57 pm

Last edited by 174 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”