1L grade waiting thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Joan Hollaway

Silver

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Post by Joan Hollaway » Tue May 31, 2011 2:48 pm

blowhard wrote: I have legal practice but I don't really count that as a grade...
Looks like you guys got a grade, as predicted my section will be the last...again

FireNextTime

New

Post by FireNextTime » Tue May 31, 2011 3:09 pm

2nd grade in. Property: A.

I'm so excited I just peed.

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Tue May 31, 2011 4:31 pm

Second grade in as well.

B.

FML

That drops my overall GPA from a 3.92 to a 3.74. I don't know how to rationalize that result. I felt like I did fine on it, seeing issues that seemed difficult. I must have screwed it up somehow.

I just went from hoping to transfer to hoping the rest of my grades come in high enough so that I can get a job.

Seriously though, I'm at a loss. I know that throwing a pity party for a situation, overall, that most people would still gladly accept won't really garner any sympathy. But fuck.

I'm starting to doubt / fear what's coming next.

SmittenMitten

Bronze

Post by SmittenMitten » Tue May 31, 2011 4:41 pm

missinglink wrote:Second grade in as well.

B.

FML

That drops my overall GPA from a 3.92 to a 3.74. I don't know how to rationalize that result. I felt like I did fine on it, seeing issues that seemed difficult. I must have screwed it up somehow.

I just went from hoping to transfer to hoping the rest of my grades come in high enough so that I can get a job.

Seriously though, I'm at a loss. I know that throwing a pity party for a situation, overall, that most people would still gladly accept won't really garner any sympathy. But fuck.

that sucks, I'm sorry. are you going to email the prof to review the exam?

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Tue May 31, 2011 5:14 pm

B.

FML

That sucks man, sorry to hear that. Maybe it's just a fluke? They say it's hard to get through law school without at least one bad grade, hopefully that's your only one.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Omerta

Bronze

Post by Omerta » Tue May 31, 2011 5:18 pm

B.

FML

PM sent, but there's nothing wrong with being disappointed. To anyone who disagrees, all I have to do is ask who is happier: A makes $2 million and loses $500k, B makes $$750k.

Good luck with the rest of your grades. On another note, wtf TLS?! Last semester, there was nothing by posts of top 10% all around. Either everyone shit the bed or second semester deserves its rep as being significantly more difficult.

Edit: After all of the weeping/gnashing of teeth (myself included), I'm going to go ahead and say doing well first semester is even more important because you can pluck the low-hanging fruit that won't be around second semester.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Tue May 31, 2011 5:20 pm

I wasn't top 10% last semester and certainly won't be top 10% this semester. Fine by me, though.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue May 31, 2011 5:36 pm

Omerta wrote: Good luck with the rest of your grades. On another note, wtf TLS?! Last semester, there was nothing by posts of top 10% all around. Either everyone shit the bed or second semester deserves its rep as being significantly more difficult.
Hopefully this is because the people in the A-/B+ range (me) are stealing all of your As because we didn't make stupid exam mistakes this time around.

happy187

Bronze

Post by happy187 » Tue May 31, 2011 5:56 pm

Is it wrong that I know that I won't see grades until June 11th that I still check to see if they are posted. I hate driving myself crazy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Tue May 31, 2011 6:06 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:

B.

FML

That sucks man, sorry to hear that. Maybe it's just a fluke? They say it's hard to get through law school without at least one bad grade, hopefully that's your only one.
I hope so too.

Time will tell whether it was a fluke, or a regression to the mean. Law school really is crazy, though, considering I really did put in more work this semester. Objectively, the property exam wasn't too difficult, and it was open book/note, so I suspect the curve was tight. I'll have to see what the point totals and exam stats look like.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Tue May 31, 2011 6:16 pm

missinglink wrote: I hope so too.

Time will tell whether it was a fluke, or a regression to the mean. Law school really is crazy, though, considering I really did put in more work this semester. Objectively, the property exam wasn't too difficult, and it was open book/note, so I suspect the curve was tight. I'll have to see what the point totals and exam stats look like.
I wouldn't take it as a reflection of your personal worth/intelligence. You probably got the bad grade because of some bad luck. Contrary to what TLS likes to say, luck plays a big role in law school grades/grading.

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Tue May 31, 2011 6:24 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
missinglink wrote: I hope so too.

I wouldn't take it as a reflection of your personal worth/intelligence. You probably got the bad grade because of some bad luck. Contrary to what TLS likes to say, luck plays a big role in law school grades/grading.
Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you.

The bear got me this time. Now to pray that Crim law comes back in a big way for me.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue May 31, 2011 6:28 pm

3.5 weeks since my last final. 4.5 since my first final. At least 6 since the open brief was submitted. At least 7 since I took my legal research exam. 0 grades back. AYFKM.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue May 31, 2011 6:32 pm

Sorry missinglink :(. I'm sure your last grade will be great, so don't worry too much!

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Tue May 31, 2011 6:37 pm

stratocophic wrote:3.5 weeks since my last final. 4.5 since my first final. At least 6 since the open brief was submitted. At least 7 since I took my legal research exam. 0 grades back. AYFKM.
I'm sorry. If you want, you can have any of my grades from my first semester. They're not easy on the eyes, but I'll give you a heck of a deal on them!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue May 31, 2011 6:42 pm

OGR3 wrote:
stratocophic wrote:3.5 weeks since my last final. 4.5 since my first final. At least 6 since the open brief was submitted. At least 7 since I took my legal research exam. 0 grades back. AYFKM.
I'm sorry. If you want, you can have any of my grades from my first semester. They're not easy on the eyes, but I'll give you a heck of a deal on them!
Oh much appreciated, but I'll have my very own set of ugly grades before June's through. It'd be easy to say I don't want to see them since I'm more than positive that my GPA's going to nosedive, but I'm holding out hope that I didn't suck as bad I think I did this semester.

LOL who am I kidding - brace for carnage, GPA!

Headybrah

Bronze

Post by Headybrah » Tue May 31, 2011 7:03 pm

3.64 GPA on a 3.25 median

any idea on ranking?
top 15%?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Tue May 31, 2011 7:12 pm

Headybrah wrote:3.64 GPA on a 3.25 median

any idea on ranking?
top 15%?
Unfortunately there is no way to know from that information. It depends on the grade distribution.

Headybrah

Bronze

Post by Headybrah » Tue May 31, 2011 7:20 pm

blurbz wrote:

any idea on ranking?
top 15%?
Unfortunately there is no way to know from that information. It depends on the grade distribution.
fuck thats lame I want to math out a solution...

I want my rank to know where to apply to transfer fuckkkk

Pretzel_Logic

Platinum

Post by Pretzel_Logic » Tue May 31, 2011 7:26 pm

Property...aka the worst letter grade I've ever gotten in my life. Facepalm.

Good thing that wasn't a four-credit class! Oh wait... :x

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue May 31, 2011 7:38 pm

Headybrah wrote:
blurbz wrote:

any idea on ranking?
top 15%?
fuck thats lame I want to math out a solution...

I want my rank to know where to apply to transfer fuckkkk
Would need another data point, and then you could only get a rough estimate w/ questionable accuracy (based on whether you assume a linear scale etc.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Tue May 31, 2011 7:48 pm

Joan Hollaway wrote:
blowhard wrote: I have legal practice but I don't really count that as a grade...
Looks like you guys got a grade, as predicted my section will be the last...again
Well, at least we got legal practice! The "S" is for "suck-it."

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Tue May 31, 2011 7:55 pm

Damn that sucks missinglink, but it's common to have one really bad grade. Most the partners I interviewed with had the same experience. Besides, one of my 1L buddies was able to secure a 1L biglaw job with one B and the rest A/A-'s.

You're still in a good position overall.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Tue May 31, 2011 7:57 pm

solotee wrote:Damn that sucks missinglink, but it's common to have one really bad grade. Most the partners I interviewed with had the same experience. Besides, one of my 1L buddies was able to secure a 1L biglaw job with one B and the rest A/A-'s.

You're still in a good position overall.
ya one of my recommenders told me that eventually you will get at least one "bad" grade, no matter how well you do overall. its inevitable that something about your style doesn't click or you make one mistake on an exam that makes a big difference.

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Tue May 31, 2011 8:08 pm

Well, if everyone is due one bad grade, I'll gladly take it in Property. That turned out to be my least enjoyable class overall.

What's worse is that the workload in Conlaw was much more substantial than Property, but Conlaw (A) was only worth 3 credits, while Property (B), was worth 4 credits.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”