1L grade waiting thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
forty-two

Bronze

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Post by forty-two » Fri May 06, 2011 11:59 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Could honestly go either way. I know I messed some up, but part of me hopes that since I lucked out last semester, I may also luck out this semester. Either way, today the new dean of our law school sent out an e-mail saying that they were getting rid of all scholarship stips. - so no one can lose their money. I've never heard such loud cheers in my life. My only wish: he would have told us sooner, so that people wouldn't have given a fuck about the finals.
That's awesome news!!!!! I mean, the stressing isn't awesome, but the whole not having to worry about losing your scholarship thing definitely is!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat May 07, 2011 12:03 am

I could have done anywhere from better than last semester to below median. Not even going to bother guessing at it. Just glad it's all over and wish I was drunker :(.

uci2013

Bronze

Post by uci2013 » Sat May 07, 2011 4:19 am

keg411 wrote:I could have done anywhere from better than last semester to below median. Not even going to bother guessing at it. Just glad it's all over and wish I was drunker :(.
This

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Sat May 07, 2011 12:09 pm

Can't make many guesses this semester because we are bound to have a really awkward curve in every class except Property, which will have the tightest curve imaginable.

Oh, also, I hate this thread. :wink:

shepdawg

Bronze

Post by shepdawg » Sat May 07, 2011 12:31 pm

For me, my feelings after my exams are too unpredictable. When I felt bad after my first semester exams I ended up doing the best (90+), but the ones that I felt neutral afterward I ended up only doing well (88's).

So this semester, when family ask how I think I did, I have no idea on how to answer. I usually say something like "It all depends on how everyone else did. If I got 8/10 correct and everyone else got 9/10, I failed."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Sat May 07, 2011 12:38 pm

shepdawg wrote:For me, my feelings after my exams are too unpredictable. When I felt bad after my first semester exams I ended up doing the best (90+), but the ones that I felt neutral afterward I ended up only doing well (88's).

So this semester, when family ask how I think I did, I have no idea on how to answer. I usually say something like "It all depends on how everyone else did. If I got 8/10 correct and everyone else got 9/10, I failed."
but if you got 5/10, and everyone else got 4/10, you get an A

the gift and the curse that is the curve

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sat May 07, 2011 12:41 pm

Joining in this thead again, and I have no guesses. If I can keep my grade at the same level, I'll be fine. I worked harder this semester, so we'll see.

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Sat May 07, 2011 12:57 pm

well considering I feel like absolute shit about my Contracts exam....

Contracts: B/B+ (most likely a B on the final but I'm hoping for a boost in the participation department)
Legal Writing 2: A-
Property: B+ (would love an A-, but that's a stretch. Felt better about this than Ks; however, I fucked up one huge issue in the issue spotter but felt like I made it up in short answer and policy, so, we'll see)

Median is a B/almost a B- at my school.
Last edited by as stars burn on Fri May 13, 2011 8:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Sat May 07, 2011 11:58 pm

can't believe our first grade is already posted. exhilarating/terrifying.

<3 any professor who gets his 120-person section's grades in 11 days after the final. (vs. LRW where we've been done for 5 and there's only 10 of us)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun May 08, 2011 4:25 pm

Ripping the band-aid off all at one this year.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Sun May 08, 2011 4:35 pm

rad law wrote:Ripping the band-aid off all at one this year.
Psht, you're not gonna last more than 30 mins after the first grade is posted...

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun May 08, 2011 4:37 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
Psht, you're not gonna last more than 30 mins after the first grade is posted...
I so will bro. I don't care any more dude.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Sun May 08, 2011 4:38 pm

rad law wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:
I so will bro. I don't care any more dude.
At the start of my first final I said I was waiting till all of them came out. By the end of my first final I was like "Post the damn grade I wanna know now dammit!".

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sun May 08, 2011 4:41 pm

got back home for mothers day this afternoon, played with our dogs in the backyard, perfect weather, going out for dinner (even got a belated easter basket!). so glad to be done. i wasn't going to post this in the exam prep thread, but then i thought everyone in there prolly still has exams left, and thus would kill me for this post. ;x

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun May 08, 2011 4:55 pm

rad's "not caring" is going to put him in the top 10% this semester :lol:.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun May 08, 2011 5:07 pm

keg411 wrote:rad's "not caring" is going to put him in the top 10% this semester :lol:.
lawl when that doesn't happen, I will be sure to let you know

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Sun May 08, 2011 5:48 pm

No, usually only people who frantically click refresh to get their grades get median pawned.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

forty-two

Bronze

Post by forty-two » Sun May 08, 2011 6:39 pm

My first grade came out a week and one half ago. I'm still too afraid to check it, so I kind of decided to wait until they all come out. That way I'll just have to be incredibly disappointed with myself once instead of five separate occasions.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Sun May 08, 2011 8:11 pm

Hell, I just need to remain employable. Unlikely to happen, but we'll see.

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Sun May 08, 2011 8:33 pm

After the exams:

Crim- B+
Legislation- A-

After realizing my last answers on both tests were completely rushed and probably in the bottom quartile of answer quality and because no amount of clever insight for the first 66% of a test is going to make up for a half-finished answer on the last 33%:

Crim- B-
Legislation- B

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Sun May 08, 2011 8:44 pm

If we are starting predictions again, I'll go ahead and post mine. This way I can look back and see if I'm right.

Crim- B+ (laptop exploded in the middle of it, but I'm going to give myself the benefit of the doubt)
Law and Econ- B+

Ill update after I take my next two tests.

Edit- ConLaw C

There goes Stone.
Last edited by swc65 on Tue May 10, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Sun May 08, 2011 10:34 pm

swc65 wrote:If we are starting predictions again, I'll go ahead and post mine. This way I can look back and see if I'm right.

Crim- B+ (laptop exploded in the middle of it, but I'm going to give myself the benefit of the doubt)
Law and Econ- B+

Ill update after I take my next two tests.
How was Law and Econ anyway? I was tempted to take it after enjoying an econ-heavy Contracts (prof had a PhD in econ) but psyched myself out because I figured every econ major in our class would be in there.

Legislation was dull but left me feeling more confident about statutory interpretation. The final was hilarious though, we spent half the class discussing Legislation-related issue (immunity, campaign finance, re-districting & gerrymandering, corruption, theories of representation, legislative process, etc...). Half the class, half the readings, half the outline. Yet on the exam it was 3 straightforward statutory interpretation questions that required almost no background knowledge. Any law student could've accidentally walked on our exam and given passable answers to all the questions. However, with answers that "can't be wrong", I suspect the curve will be very tight and my half-finished final answer is going to give the Prof an easy way to "distinguish" me from my peers.

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Mon May 09, 2011 9:42 am

Is it possible to feel like absolute crap after an exam and still end up doing well?

I was fairly on target with the prediction of grades last semester, but I'm not feeling as confident as I was last semester. Particularly for one exam the entire class ran out of time, and I felt like there were more issues that I should have talked about, or didn't do a good enough job of analyzing on the ones I did talk about. This semester has been brutal.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Mon May 09, 2011 8:13 pm

I was pretty right on with my grades last semester [except for torts where I totally missed two issues and it killed me]

so if we're doing predictions...I will say [so far]

LWR: B+ [unless shes nice and gives me an A-]
ConLaw: B+ [scared to say this because I may just wind up with a C]
K's: A-
Property: to be determined after the exam

Zazelmaf

Bronze

Post by Zazelmaf » Mon May 09, 2011 8:19 pm

Civ Pro: Booked it. Maybe the best the professor has seen in his career. (got a C+ on midterm, so he will be surprised if he finds out it was me!)
Contracts: B+/A- (midterm was 95, tied for second in the class)
Property: -1, yes NEGATIVE 1. Midterm was 96. (tied for third in the class)
Constitutional Law: Coming soon!

LRW: Does it even count? B/B+ or F. Or A-. Or C+/C. Maybe a D+.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”