1L grade waiting thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
romothesavior

Diamond

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Post by romothesavior » Thu May 12, 2011 1:08 am

Well, I'll throw out some predictions:

Civ Pro: 92 (The only one I am fairly sure about. I'd be really surprised with anything under 90)
Crim: 87 (Total crapshoot... could get anywhere from sub-median to near the top of the class and not be surprised)
Con Law: 93 (Think I nailed most of the issues, but who knows with our prof)
Research: 90
Legal Practice: 87 (I have gotten an 86 on all 4 of my graded assignments so far this year. Trying to be optimistic that I finally broke the curse, but I probably didn't.)

~87 is the median, so this would put me around top 1/4-1/3 for the semester I think.

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Thu May 12, 2011 6:28 am

Ty Webb wrote:Some predictions, I suppose:

Elective Legislation Class: A/A-; cranked out 9000+ words in 3 hours. Feel good about this one.

Con Law: B+/A-; closed book exam - got out 11500 words in 4 hours. Missed a few issues on the last question, but it's a closed book con law exam, so I'd imagine the quality of exams overall struggled.

Property: B+/A-; another closed book. Got out more than 9000 words in 3 hours and felt like a reasonable handle on what the professor wanted. Will be slightly disappointed with anything short of an A-.

Criminal Law: Death; will update tomorrow if death doesn't take me.
Ugh

This just strikes me why more professors should use word limits. Technical proficiency should not give this much of an edge on exams.
Sure it doesn't guarantee a higher grade, but it sure helps. I'm assuming that 9000 words in 3 hours is more of a product of fast typing than the stylization of your answers.

Time and Word limits are artificial constraints designed to force students to put out their "best" arguments as opposed to "all the arguments". IMO Word limits do a much better job of securing this goal than time limits. Student model answers that exceed 2500-3000+ words for a 1-hour question are also terrifying because the implication is that huge answers are seen as better despite the fact that the professor deliberately crafted the exam such that most people physically wouldn't be able to cover the topic in such detail.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Thu May 12, 2011 6:34 am

^
i agree but in all fairness i have to admit that i'm not a very fast typer, so i'm kind of biased. i did my best last semester on my 8-hr take home with a 3,000 word limit.

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Thu May 12, 2011 6:49 am

mythosopher wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:I would type more probably, except that I hate typos and can't let myself leave them in exams. It's a curse.
:!: People purposefully leave typos?! HOW? I mean, I know that's not the point of the exam, but... it just seems so wrong to let go an exam with typos without any kind of consequences.
I thought so too, last semester the only model answers I had access to were from an 8-hour take home with a strict word limit - so naturally the spelling and grammar was pretty solid.

Then I saw my property model answers this semester (exam is in 9 hours, FML)... people were pumping out 3000+ words for 1hr questions in the models and they were RIDDLED with spelling errors. Not just grammar nazi stuff, but every single sentence had some blatant flaw and any word with more than 2 syllables was a mangled mess.

@wayward

I might be biased too. While I can type text and stuff at 80WPM, it takes too much focus to pull off during a mentally straining exam. During exams I am almost always thinking about the topic, what I might be missing, and scanning what I write to make sure it makes sense, etc... so my typing generally proceeds at a slow peck that is probably close to 30WPM.

I too had my best grade on a word-limited 8-hour take home. I felt it was a better representative of my thinking process and reasoning ability than timed exams where my answers seem to come out on the short-end and I have a nasty habit of not leaving enough time for the last question.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Thu May 12, 2011 7:32 am

^
you have your prop final at three? i wish i had nine more hours. mine is at 10, and i am the least prepared i have ever been :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Thu May 12, 2011 7:49 am

somewhatwayward wrote:^
you have your prop final at three? i wish i had nine more hours. mine is at 10, and i am the least prepared i have ever been :(
Mines at 9 :shock: , today must be "wing it" property day.

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Thu May 12, 2011 8:03 am

somewhatwayward wrote:^
Yea, this is definitely my least-prep'd exam. I can't believe I actually felt pressed for time last Winter when we had 4 days between exams. I really am learning property in a 24-hour window right now. Good luck though, regardless of how it turns out- 1L is almost over.

Transpher

New

Post by Transpher » Thu May 12, 2011 8:10 am

Done in 5 hours...

(and then writing competition...)

geekrocker37

Bronze

Post by geekrocker37 » Thu May 12, 2011 4:47 pm

Nothing good comes of this thread, but it sure is fun anyway.

Con Law: A-/B+. Certainly hit all the issues, but there was a short word count and the exam was no different than past years exams. Tight Curve.
Property: B. 50 multi choice questions, 4 hours, no fucking clue. an A last year was apparently a 35/50. Total mindfuck
Contracts: A-. Felt like I hit all the big issues, but also picked up on other counterarguments.
Crim Pro: B+. Messed up some multiple choice questions, but pretty sure I got all the easy and medium difficulty questions.

Basically not expecting to do as well as last Semester, and will be shocked to stay in the top 10%

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Thu May 12, 2011 6:33 pm

Can we add "journal waiting" to this thread?

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Thu May 12, 2011 6:34 pm

DONE.

My new predictions, having now actually taken them:

Torts: B+
Con Law: B
Civ Pro: B+
LRW: High Honors (have my brief grade, so just depends on the actual curve)

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Thu May 12, 2011 7:00 pm

Done, I'm among the tiny minority that feels miserable now that exams are over.

I have a very clear image of full B's rolling in next month. All my exams were 3-4hr issue spotters and I didn't finish a single one within the time limit. My "Question #3's" range from a high-score of 1000 words to an abysmal 2 paragraphs.

I feel like I'm doing my professors a favor, when they see my 30% done answer to the last problem... they won't even have to debate who's going to set the B- floor of the curve.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Thu May 12, 2011 7:21 pm

Last edited by Kilpatrick on Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Thu May 12, 2011 7:26 pm

Sogui wrote:Done, I'm among the tiny minority that feels miserable now that exams are over.

I have a very clear image of full B's rolling in next month.
You're not alone.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu May 12, 2011 7:28 pm

MBZags wrote:
Sogui wrote:Done, I'm among the tiny minority that feels miserable now that exams are over.

I have a very clear image of full B's rolling in next month.
You're not alone.

xcountryjunkie

Bronze

Post by xcountryjunkie » Thu May 12, 2011 11:07 pm

My grades won't be posted until five weeks after my last final. That seems ridiculously long to me. Anyone else in a similar boat?

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Thu May 12, 2011 11:32 pm

xcountryjunkie wrote:My grades won't be posted until five weeks after my last final. That seems ridiculously long to me. Anyone else in a similar boat?
Ours came out almost five weeks exactly to the hour almost last semester. I'm hoping they get through it quicker this time. Just put me out of my misery.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Fri May 13, 2011 12:16 am

fathergoose wrote:
xcountryjunkie wrote:My grades won't be posted until five weeks after my last final. That seems ridiculously long to me. Anyone else in a similar boat?
Ours came out almost five weeks exactly to the hour almost last semester. I'm hoping they get through it quicker this time. Just put me out of my misery.
Same here. Slightly less than a month between final exams and when grades should be posted. Definitely going to be a interesting wait.

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Fri May 13, 2011 12:19 am

Still have Con law left but predictions,

LRW: A (Pretty much confirmed)
Property: A- (Aced two of the questions, not so much the third, fucked up RAP. Hope the first two outweigh that one)
Crim Law: B+ (Issue spotter was a shitshow, but everyone felt that way. Aced the policy section though, worth 40%)
Con Law: Just hoping for B+ and this point.

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Fri May 13, 2011 2:59 am

I'll just go with my relative scaling again

Crim > Con > Civ Pro >= LRW

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Fri May 13, 2011 3:01 am

weee wrote:I'll just go with my relative scaling again

Crim > Con > Civ Pro >= LRW
Ohhh, I like scales.

Elective > Contracts > Con Law > Property > LRW

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Fri May 13, 2011 3:10 am

fathergoose wrote:
Professors at my school supposedly have until Jun 13th. But its not like they're punished in anyway if its not in. Ugh.

Eruannon

Bronze

Post by Eruannon » Fri May 13, 2011 8:41 am

Civ Pro - C
Torts - B+
Con Law - A-

I wont know until June 3rd...

Ran out of things to say in civ pro, everyone else seemed to think the call of the question was broader than I did, they were probably right.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri May 13, 2011 9:41 am

fathergoose wrote:

You can hope in one hand and crap in the other....

We'll get them about the same we get notified about Law Review, I bet.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri May 13, 2011 10:05 am

ugh just got con law and evidence grades in. gpa currently in a free fall, particularly because of evidence. really need crim to come through (god knows civ pro isn't going to be pretty).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”