1L grade waiting thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
kaiser

Gold

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Post by kaiser » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:53 pm

EDIT: Everything just changed completely. I was half-sulking a minute ago. My freakin section's curve was so weird that my supposed top 25% is EXACTLY the top 10% cutoff GPA. I'm amazed, confused, and ecstatic right now.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:53 pm

D-hops wrote:
Cupidity wrote:10% = 3.72
<-- = 3.70

Oh well.
Do you guys preselect where the differential will make a substantive difference?
That is an interesting question that I do not know the answer to. They only created the cutoffs this year (used to be top 50%, 10% #5) so I can't imagine they'd retool OCI.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:53 pm

kaiser wrote:EDIT: Everything just changed completely. I was half-sulking a minute ago. My freakin section's curve was so weird that my supposed top 25% is EXACTLY the top 10% cutoff GPA. I'm amazed, confused, and ecstatic right now.
Haha, and my 3.7 didn't. Screw you section B.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:54 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:My crim law exam had attempted statutory rape via complicity. It was mother fucking nested mens rea analysis.
Mens rea as to what?
I only learned crim for about 3 days before I forgot it again. But the tricky part was combining the loose mens rea for statory rape (ie usually none) with the mens rea for attempt and complicity.

So you had to basically do mens rea as to conduct and circumstance. And for complicity there are differing standards.

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:55 pm

My crim exam was based on this

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:55 pm

starchinkilt wrote:My crim exam was based on this
Mine was harry potter. I'll trade you.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:56 pm

Cupidity wrote:
kaiser wrote:EDIT: Everything just changed completely. I was half-sulking a minute ago. My freakin section's curve was so weird that my supposed top 25% is EXACTLY the top 10% cutoff GPA. I'm amazed, confused, and ecstatic right now.
Haha, and my 3.7 didn't. Screw you section B.
I have no clue how my section's curve was that different from the other 2

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:57 pm

A bunch of people traveling towards a certain intersection after having committed variouos forms of crimes or assisting in them, one of the vehicles has kidnapped baby, BOOM massive car accident. Baby dies. Have fun sorting the shit out.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:00 pm

Cupidity wrote:
D-hops wrote:
<-- = 3.70

Oh well.
Do you guys preselect where the differential will make a substantive difference?
That is an interesting question that I do not know the answer to. They only created the cutoffs this year (used to be top 50%, 10% #5) so I can't imagine they'd retool OCI.
Well, even if it does you can probably meet with the employers at Lavender Law (if you are going).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jsarna1

New

Post by jsarna1 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:02 pm

JordynAsh wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Still no grades. Getting REALLY mad, especially since today is supposed to be the deadline and they pushed it back to next week.
Our grade deadline isn't until the 21st, but every other section has at least one grade back. It's also been 73 days since the brief was turned in and no LRW grade. :(
I'm in section 2 and I don't have any grades yet.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:03 pm

D-hops wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
D-hops wrote:
<-- = 3.70

Oh well.
Well, even if it does you can probably meet with the employers at Lavender Law (if you are going).
Been considering it, you think its worth it?

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:07 pm

Cupidity wrote:
Been considering it, you think its worth it?
Depends, I am going because NU reimburses us for registration and I can get a plane ticket for free. The hotel is still expensive though. That being said, I've heard a lot of people getting additional interviews from the career fair there.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:12 pm

lol, DF, I saw that

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:13 pm

D-hops wrote:lol, DF, I saw that
How many do I have to suck to get a free plane ticket?

Under three is probably a fair trade.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:15 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

I'm getting mine through frequent flyer miles. But really you just need to date someone who works for an airline and get on their buddy pass.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:16 pm

D-hops wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I'm getting mine through frequent flyer miles. But really you just need to date someone who works for an airline and get on their buddy pass.
Who's the hangar and who's the 747?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:17 pm

D-hops wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I'm not pretty enough to get a stewardess gay.

Maybe a baggage haler gay?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:30 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:My crim law exam had attempted statutory rape via complicity. It was mother fucking nested mens rea analysis.
Mens rea as to what?
I only learned crim for about 3 days before I forgot it again. But the tricky part was combining the loose mens rea for statory rape (ie usually none) with the mens rea for attempt and complicity.

So you had to basically do mens rea as to conduct and circumstance. And for complicity there are differing standards.
The reason I ask is that statutory rape generally has no MR as to the only thing that usually matters (age). Attempted statutory rape with no MR as to age is usually fine, but taking an inchoate crime with no MR that matters (i.e., the crime is attempting to to have sex with a person with purpose only as to the sex not the age) and trying to broaden the net even further to an accomplice is probably going to be a bridge too far. Accomplices have to have intent, but whether they have to have intent as to the age of the victim is the question here. The MPC leaves this to judicial resolution, for good reason. Complicity for inchoate offenses strains our notions of justice, but it's allowed in theory. Complicity (which requires purpose) for an inchoate offense that by definition doesn't have MR where it matters is beyond the pale. Any prosecutor who walks into court with this turd runs the risk of being laughed at. This is only slightly less problematic than trying to find someone guilty as an accomplice to an attempted felony murder.

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:36 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Mens rea as to what?

The reason I ask is that statutory rape generally has no MR as to the only thing that usually matters (age). Attempted statutory rape with no MR as to age is usually fine, but taking an inchoate crime with no MR that matters (i.e., the crime is attempting to to have sex with a person with purpose only as to the sex not the age) and trying to broaden the net even further to an accomplice is probably going to be a bridge too far. Accomplices have to have intent, but whether they have to have intent as to the age of the victim is the question here. The MPC leaves this to judicial resolution, for good reason. Complicity for inchoate offenses strains our notions of justice, but it's allowed in theory. Complicity (which requires purpose) for an inchoate offense that by definition doesn't have MR where it matters is beyond the pale. Any prosecutor who walks into court with this turd runs the risk of being laughed at. This is only slightly less problematic than trying to find someone guilty as an accomplice to an attempted felony murder.
You must be that guy in law school who is always talking about law/law school no matter what the situation is. I have met many of your kindred spirits.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:38 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
D-hops wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I'm not pretty enough to get a stewardess gay.

Maybe a baggage haler gay?
Yeah, not sure that is going to work either. You don't really fit into a stereotype yet. Need more hair and either more or less weight. You are in the twilight zone right now.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:39 pm

goodolgil wrote:You must be that guy in law school who is always talking about law/law school no matter what the situation is. I have met many of your kindred spirits.
He stops talking about law school sometimes. He never stops trying to prove how smart he is.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:40 pm

bjsesq wrote:
goodolgil wrote:You must be that guy in law school who is always talking about law/law school no matter what the situation is. I have met many of your kindred spirits.
He stops talking about law school sometimes. He never stops trying to prove how smart he is.
LTK alt?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:40 pm

D-hops wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
LTK alt?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Touche, man.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:01 pm

bjsesq wrote:
I don't post a lot on law--as opposed to law school. Mostly I just try to keep things interesting.
Last edited by quakeroats on Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:12 pm

quakeroats wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
I don't post a lot on law--as opposed to law school. Mostly I just try to keep things interesting.
you have failed at keeping things interesting.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”