If you could talk to you 2-3 years ago...

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Would you still go to law school?

Yes
65%
No
15%
Maybe
20%

Total votes: 112

iagolives

If you could talk to you 2-3 years ago...

Postby iagolives » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:58 am

...would you still go to law school?

(I know we have all thought it at least once during exams; I just thought I'd make a poll out of it. And I wanted to break up the wall of exam prep questions on this topic, haha)

dailygrind

Re: If you could talk to you 2-3 years ago...

Postby dailygrind » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:03 pm

if i could have talked to me about 8 years ago, no. i'd be able to change my skillset so significantly that i wouldn't need law school. but 2-3 years ago, my path was already set.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:20 pm

iagolives wrote:...would you still go to law school?

(I know we have all thought it at least once during exams; I just thought I'd make a poll out of it. And I wanted to break up the wall of exam prep questions on this topic, haha)

I would absolutely not go to law school. I would tell my sophomore/junior-in-college-self to pick up a degree in business and try to work somewhere (anywhere) and avoid LS.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:23 pm

I would, but I like lawl skool.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:27 pm

I'd tell me to work harder to get top grades in undergrad so I could have a higher scholly/better acceptances

but yup i'd still be here. It's stressful as hell, drives me insane, and is giving me a stomach ulcer, but I love it, it's what i've wanted to do since I was a little kid and spent weekends at my mom's law firm hanging out with the partners there and watching them work

god I'm a nerd

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:28 pm

I think it'd be more telling to talk to us in 3 years and ask if were still happy with going to law school.

Connelly

Postby Connelly » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:31 pm

I would tell my old self to wait a year and go full-time. I'd also pass him a few lottery numbers.

BobSacamano

Postby BobSacamano » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:35 pm

I would wait a couple years at least. I don't hate law school but sometimes I wonder if my time and energy could be put to better, more productive use. If anything I would go back to sophomore year of college and tell my past self to find something more challenging/useful than Poli Sci.

omninode

Postby omninode » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:39 pm

BobSacamano wrote:I would wait a couple years at least. I don't hate law school but sometimes I wonder if my time and energy could be put to better, more productive use. If anything I would go back to sophomore year of college and tell my past self to find something more challenging/useful than Poli Sci.

+1

I majored in political science because I was fascinated by the subject. Silly me. Funny how a subject can become much less fascinating after you study it intensely for years and have no marketable skills to show for it.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:40 pm

2-3 years ago, lawl school was barely on my radar and I was working FT. If I could go back 7 years, I'd tell myself to not get crappy grades in undergrad, though. I like law school, even if exams are way stressful.

Oban

Postby Oban » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:42 pm

romothesavior wrote:

I would absolutely not go to law school. I would tell my sophomore/junior-in-college-self to pick up a degree in business and try to work somewhere (anywhere) and avoid LS.

Do you really hate it that much?

QandAphorism

Postby QandAphorism » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:45 pm

Well, obvious space-time continuum issues notwithstanding, I would tell myself to avoid logging into TLS at 10:45am on Tuesday, December 14th, 2010 and responding to this ridiculous thread.

Hindsight is always, umm, you know.... hindsight.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:52 pm

Oban wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Yeah I do.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:53 pm

I'd tell myself to try something else first, instead of taking easy majors with the expectation of going to law school. So far law school has worked out well for me, but I often wonder if I would have been happier just finding a $50,000/year job out of college and taking things from there.

Flanker1067

Postby Flanker1067 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:58 pm

Cavalier wrote:I'd tell myself to try something else first, instead of taking easy majors with the expectation of going to law school. So far law school has worked out well for me, but I often wonder if I would have been happier just finding a $50,000/year job out of college and taking things from there.

As someone who's been there, the answer is no. You are thinking the grass is always greener... If you don't hate law school, you should be happy you are there. There is a reason entry level jobs only pay 50K, and they are primarily because the work is easy (boring), you have little responsibility, and you barely have any purpose or impact on anything.

Ok, those are my views completely. Some people probably would be happier, and depending on where you went to UG/what you majored in, you may actually be able to find meaningful work. I couldn't.

Edit: now that I read those reasons, they sound like what I imagine a job as an associate would entail too. Well, at least you would make a lot and have exit options.
Last edited by Flanker1067 on Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:02 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:I'd tell myself to try something else first, instead of taking easy majors with the expectation of going to law school. So far law school has worked out well for me, but I often wonder if I would have been happier just finding a $50,000/year job out of college and taking things from there.

As someone who's been there, the answer is no. You are thinking the grass is always greener... If you don't hate law school, you should be happy you are there. There is a reason entry level jobs only pay 50K, and they are primarily because the work is easy (boring), you have little responsibility, and you barely have any purpose or impact on anything.

Ok, those are my views completely. Some people probably would be happier, and depending on where you went to UG/what you majored in, you may actually be able to find meaningful work. I couldn't.

Yeah, it depends on the field. Certainly a lot of people I know left those types of jobs, where the work was meaningless and there were no real prospects for advancement, but I still wish I had that experience.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:02 pm

As a teacher I had meaningful and interesting work for a number of years. I am happy for the experience. As a Dad, I could not support my family. Now, after LS, it looks like I will be able to. Am I happy about the number of hours I will have to work? Not exactly. Am I happy that being a lawyer will allow me not to have my house foreclosed on? Kind of. Would I do it again? In a heart beat.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:06 pm

Change that to 25k if you want to be realistic.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:11 pm

keg411 wrote:

+1. I don't think I know more than two or three people who made $50,000 right out of undergrad. The vast majority make like 25-35k (the ones who aren't waiting tables).

omninode

Postby omninode » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:13 pm

romothesavior wrote:
keg411 wrote:

+1. I don't think I know more than two or three people who made $50,000 right out of undergrad. The vast majority make like 25-35k (the ones who aren't waiting tables).

True. It seems like a Bachelor's today (depending on the field of course, but in general) is worth what a high school diploma was twenty years ago. The bare minimum for employability. Graduate school is where things get real.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:18 pm

omninode wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
keg411 wrote:

True. It seems like a Bachelor's today (depending on the field of course, but in general) is worth what a high school diploma was twenty years ago. The bare minimum for employability. Graduate school is where things get real.

Eh... I dunno about that. The overwhelming majority of grad school programs seem like money pits that do little for your job prospects.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:21 pm

i would have went to the carribbean for med school.
Fun and sun for 4 years + awsome job prospects.

180orbust

Postby 180orbust » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:21 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Oban wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Yeah I do.

why?

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:22 pm

This is a tough question.

I mean, I have very good things lined up, and 3 years ago, I had no other prospects (it was entirely clear that teaching was not going to work out). So, law school ended up being a gamble for me. But jesus fucking christ, was it ever a gamble.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:25 pm

Cavalier wrote:
Flanker1067 wrote:

Yeah, it depends on the field. Certainly a lot of people I know left those types of jobs, where the work was meaningless and there were no real prospects for advancement, but I still wish I had that experience.

If you've had that experience, you'd wish you didn't. And making $50K/year is on the good side of things. Starting salary for those kinds of jobs is more like $35-40K. And they're more boring and existentially damning than you could possibly imagine -- to the point that the prospect of getting stampeded by a herd of wild buffalo will seem like a glorious vacation.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”