Former externs to fed. judges: What did you do?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
saladfiend

Former externs to fed. judges: What did you do?

Postby saladfiend » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:45 pm

What sort of things did you do over the summer as an extern to a federal district judge on a day-to-day basis?

What are interviews with clerks like for externship positions?

Thanks.

kings84_wr

Re: Former externs to fed. judges: What did you do?

Postby kings84_wr » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:31 am

For me the most usual was working on orders/motions: the judge or clerk would give the attorneys briefs on say a SJ Motion. I would write a preliminary order and give it to the clerk in charge, the clerk would make some edits point me in the right area, and i would re-write. Then I would sit in court During the SJ Motion and go over any new developments after with the judge and clerk. Then re-write and edit until the judge signs off on it.

Thats sort of the bulk, I would also do motions in limine or other written assignments directly for the judge when he asked.

Other then that, we would sit in our court (or the other judge on the same floor) whenever something interesting was going on, jury selection, some trials, criminal verdicts, stuff like that.

Edit to add:

My interview was very straightforward, they just asked like 2 or 3 questions, they seemed really busy and I think they cared more about grades, since it was in late january.

wiseowl

Re: Former externs to fed. judges: What did you do?

Postby wiseowl » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:52 am

kings84_wr wrote:For me the most usual was working on orders/motions: the judge or clerk would give the attorneys briefs on say a SJ Motion. I would write a preliminary order and give it to the clerk in charge, the clerk would make some edits point me in the right area, and i would re-write. Then I would sit in court During the SJ Motion and go over any new developments after with the judge and clerk. Then re-write and edit until the judge signs off on it.

Thats sort of the bulk, I would also do motions in limine or other written assignments directly for the judge when he asked.

Other then that, we would sit in our court (or the other judge on the same floor) whenever something interesting was going on, jury selection, some trials, criminal verdicts, stuff like that.

Edit to add:

My interview was very straightforward, they just asked like 2 or 3 questions, they seemed really busy and I think they cared more about grades, since it was in late january.

This is pretty much it. Occasionally I'd run an errand for the judge, call a lawyer on a case, etc. I got my offer before grades came out, phone interview.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”