Professor plagiarized final exam...

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Raynemaker

Professor plagiarized final exam...

Postby Raynemaker » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:37 am

I just found out one of my professors basically copied word for word two of three exam questions. One of the questions she got directly from the internet and was too lazy to even change the name. The other came from another law school. At least two to three students, if not more, had seen the test questions and answers prior to the exam. I feel its a slap in the face to every student who has put in over the semester and didn't just happen to stumble upon the right practice exam questions. Not to mention our own student honor code that is strictly enforced. Is there any recourse? Just wondering what I should do or how any other law schools have handled this issue?

2011L1

Re: Professor plagiarized final exam...

Postby 2011L1 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:39 am

Raynemaker wrote:I just found out one of my professors basically copied word for word two of three exam questions. One of the questions she got directly from the internet and was too lazy to even change the name. The other came from another law school. At least two to three students, if not more, had seen the test questions and answers prior to the exam. I feel its a slap in the face to every student who has put in over the semester and didn't just happen to stumble upon the right practice exam questions. Not to mention our own student honor code that is strictly enforced. Is there any recourse? Just wondering what I should do or how any other law schools have handled this issue?

Please find something better to do with your time!

Mustard Blood

Postby Mustard Blood » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:47 am

2011L1 wrote:
Raynemaker wrote:I just found out one of my professors basically copied word for word two of three exam questions. One of the questions she got directly from the internet and was too lazy to even change the name. The other came from another law school. At least two to three students, if not more, had seen the test questions and answers prior to the exam. I feel its a slap in the face to every student who has put in over the semester and didn't just happen to stumble upon the right practice exam questions. Not to mention our own student honor code that is strictly enforced. Is there any recourse? Just wondering what I should do or how any other law schools have handled this issue?

Please find something better to do with your time!

I think it's a legitimate issue.

eandy

Postby eandy » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:49 am

This has happened before. Search TLS and Above the Law.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:53 am

Report it to the administration. They'll most likely curve the test differently for those who had seen the exam questions before. That's what happened at my school.

goosey

Postby goosey » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:58 am

Aqualibrium wrote:Report it to the administration. They'll most likely curve the test differently for those who had seen the exam questions before. That's what happened at my school.

how would anyone prove who had and had not seen the exam?

and 2, wow that sucks.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:59 am

At least half of my old torts exams were based off of actual cases, with large portions of the fact pattern lifted from the opinions.

They were generally new cases around the time of the exam, though, so it seems unlikely anyone actually came across them.

[edit] I wasn't too clear above. I'm speaking of old exams made available to my current (well, now over-and-done-with) Torts class.
Last edited by missinglink on Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

kxz

Postby kxz » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:07 am

Isn't this the same scenario with what happened to University of Baltimore people?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:10 am

goosey wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:Report it to the administration. They'll most likely curve the test differently for those who had seen the exam questions before. That's what happened at my school.

and 2, wow that sucks.

Honor code. You just have to trust that people won't be dicks.

Mustard Blood

Postby Mustard Blood » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:27 am

Aqualibrium wrote:
goosey wrote:

and 2, wow that sucks.

Eeeh. That's the thing: people tend to be dicks.

Postby 20160810 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:29 am

Unfortunately I don't see you being able to do too much about how this effected your grade personally, but report that shit to the administration immediately and nail that lazy fucker. I'd be pissed.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:42 pm

Mustard Blood wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
goosey wrote:

and 2, wow that sucks.

Eeeh. That's the thing: people tend to be dicks.

Well, at my school people weren't dicks. The school also raised the overall curve to encourage people not to be.

amonynous_ivdinidual

Postby amonynous_ivdinidual » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:51 pm

what school do you attend, op? just out of curiosity. and yes, you should have a dean of academic affairs. he/she should know about this, post haste.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:52 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Well, at my school people weren't dicks. The school also raised the overall curve to encourage people not to be.

but how would you know? i mean, technically almost everyone who said they didnt see the test could just be lying and being dicks

so if 25% said they did see it, those ppl are definitely not dicks (in this regard), but the remaining 75% who said they didnt...anywhere from 0-75% could be lying lol

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:58 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Well, at my school people weren't dicks. The school also raised the overall curve to encourage people not to be.

that's nice for everyone in that class, but how about everyone else in the school competing for class rank?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:15 pm

dailygrind wrote:

that's nice for everyone in that class, but how about everyone else in the school competing for class rank?

Overall means just that. Each sections, curve for that specific class snapped to be in line with the new, slightly higher one. This was like two years ago with a crazy visiting professor.

Also, you guys really act like everything is fair across the board, it's not. There are so many things outside of your control on law school exams. I had one class last semester where we had a 3.3 curve . One professor gave pretty much everyone a B+. Another professor followed a normal distribution, which meant that there weren't that many A's distributed. Another professor gave something like 20 grades in the A/A- range, but also gave much lower grades to balance it out (yes he gave D's). Is it "fair" that in one section it's pretty much impossible to get an A? Sure the people who weren't gonna compete for one anyway like that, but what about the others? Is it "fair" that one section has so many A range grades? Sure the people who wrote B+ papers but got A's are happy about that, but it sucks for people who would have other wise fallen into the now non-existent middle.

Life, and law school, are not fair.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:22 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Life, and law school, are not fair.

too true, but that doesn't mean you should just lie down and take it.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:31 pm

dailygrind wrote:

LOL, I don't want to make an assumption, so I'll ask whether you're a 0L, 1L, etc...? If you're a 0L or 1L, you'll soon find out that your professors generally in an ivory tower of sorts. There is very little that you can challenge them on. Their judgment on how to distribute grades so long as they are in line with the curve, and how to grade exams are great examples of things they won't be challenged on. Outside of an egregious error, your grade is your grade.

I mean what could I have done about the situation I described in my above post? Go to the administration and complain that it's not fair, everyone should be on the normal distribution because it screws up class rank? They knew good and well how the grade distributions looked. It has been like that in that specific class for the last 5 years (my school lets you look at the grade distributions that far back).

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:41 pm

Your options are:

1) Report to administration.
2) Do nothing.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to do nothing - I'd be too pissed off. I'd report, and if nothing happens, well, then nothing happens. Professors have to give one effing exam a [strike]year[/strike] semester, and I don't think it's too much to ask of them that they write a new question for each one.

Edit: Changed year to semester.
Last edited by sundance95 on Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tommynobody

Postby tommynobody » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:45 pm

sundance95 wrote:Your options are:

1) Report to administration.
2) Do nothing.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to do nothing - I'd be too pissed off. I'd report, and if nothing happens, well, then nothing happens. Professors have to give one effing exam a year, and I don't think it's too much to ask of them that they write a new question for each one.

Agreed.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:51 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
dailygrind wrote:

LOL, I don't want to make an assumption, so I'll ask whether you're a 0L, 1L, etc...? If you're a 0L or 1L, you'll soon find out that your professors generally in an ivory tower of sorts. There is very little that you can challenge them on. Their judgment on how to distribute grades so long as they are in line with the curve, and how to grade exams are great examples of things they won't be challenged on. Outside of an egregious error, your grade is your grade.

I mean what could I have done about the situation I described in my above post? Go to the administration and complain that it's not fair, everyone should be on the normal distribution because it screws up class rank? They knew good and well how the grade distributions looked. It has been like that in that specific class for the last 5 years (my school lets you look at the grade distributions that far back).

the situation you described (clustering of grades vs. loose clustering) you can't do much about ex post. ex ante, you find out which ones have a tight clustering and you slack your ass off, devoting your time to those which have a higher degree of variance.

the situation the other guy described, that's something you get up in arms about. i'd be livid. also, 1L.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:16 pm

This happened @ NYU last year. I don't remember how it was handled . . . but someone(s) ended up reporting it to the administration. I'd report it, even if you don't get a grading change (which would be difficult to determine) the lazy professor would (hopefully) get some kind of rebuff or something.

bostonian

Postby bostonian » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:21 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:This happened @ NYU last year. I don't remember how it was handled . . . but someone(s) ended up reporting it to the administration. I'd report it, even if you don't get a grading change (which would be difficult to determine) the lazy professor would (hopefully) get some kind of rebuff or something.

I have that professor for contracts. Everyone's been wondering if he's going to do it again here.

LjakW

Postby LjakW » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:00 pm

bostonian wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:This happened @ NYU last year. I don't remember how it was handled . . . but someone(s) ended up reporting it to the administration. I'd report it, even if you don't get a grading change (which would be difficult to determine) the lazy professor would (hopefully) get some kind of rebuff or something.

I have that professor for contracts. Everyone's been wondering if he's going to do it again here.

Are people really wondering? I think he'd be nuts if he did it again.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:06 pm

dude has one of the cushiest jobs ever, and he couldn't even create his own fucking exam. That's bull shit.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”