If you didn't type 6000+ words on your 3 hours exam you're f

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Columbia Law

If you didn't type 6000+ words on your 3 hours exam you're f

Postby Columbia Law » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:40 am

You get it. Don't be smart and all like "OMGZ MY PROFESSOR PUT A WORD LIMIT YOU'RE WRONGZ!!".

Standard issue spotter. No limit. If you didn't have over 5000-6000 words you have ZERO shot at an A/A-. Drop out now.

beach_terror

Re: If you didn't type 6000+ words on your 3 hours exam you're f

Postby beach_terror » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:47 am

--ImageRemoved--

Columbia Law

Postby Columbia Law » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:48 am

beach_terror wrote:--ImageRemoved--

amirite though?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:50 am

I'm a 1L so what the fuck do I know. My torts teacher would say that more often than not the top grades are typers, so ZERO is probably lolnoutrollin... but I'll agree with a more often than not.

I do have to say, if the exam is really as zero-sum as everyone makes it out to be, I need to thank god that I grew up playing so many computer games.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:15 am

Had a 3500 word limit on my Torts exam.

I checked my word count as I was finishing the first fact pattern. 2700 words. I had to cut stuff like mad, and by the time I was done, I was at about 3750 words. :oops:

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:22 am

Columbia Law wrote:You get it. Don't be smart and all like "OMGZ MY PROFESSOR PUT A WORD LIMIT YOU'RE WRONGZ!!".

Standard issue spotter. No limit. If you didn't have over 5000-6000 words you have ZERO shot at an A/A-. Drop out now.

Haven't seen a model answer yet with =5k words, let alone >5k words. HTFH

Yeah you're probably right w/r/t/ torts though.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:25 am

Columbia Law wrote:You get it. Don't be smart and all like "OMGZ MY PROFESSOR PUT A WORD LIMIT YOU'RE WRONGZ!!".

Did your dog die or something? You've been trolling hard lately.

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:26 am

stratocophic wrote:

And this is why I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad that my torts final on Monday is MC, T/F, Short Answer.

All I know is the final description is gonna be pain.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:42 am

stratocophic wrote:

The problem is that you are not goin to see 100% eye to eye to the professor. Some issues you might see and the professor might not give you credit for the analysis. It really depends on if you think in a similar was as the professor. Sometimes professors really include 10 issues on the exam. You might see 15 issues. If you write down all 15 possible issues, then you have a higher chance of covering all the issues that the professor saw on the exam.

gollymolly

Postby gollymolly » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:51 am

Last edited by gollymolly on Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:51 am

thexfactor wrote:
stratocophic wrote:

The problem is that you are not goin to see 100% eye to eye to the professor. Some issues you might see and the professor might not give you credit for the analysis. It really depends on if you think in a similar was as the professor. Sometimes professors really include 10 issues on the exam. You might see 15 issues. If you write down all 15 possible issues, then you have a higher chance of covering all the issues that the professor saw on the exam.

This is an excellent point that I was thinking about today--and really it's BS. I don't believe LS grading is completely arbitrary like some make it out to be, but it is far more arbitrary than the grading in a lot of other academic fields.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:54 am

thexfactor wrote:
stratocophic wrote:

TBF my Property exam was weird as hell and the Ks exam will be relatively simplistic, hence 'w/r/t torts.' YMMV

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:57 am

BruceWayne wrote:
thexfactor wrote:
stratocophic wrote:

This is an excellent point that I was thinking about today--and really it's BS. I don't believe LS grading is completely arbitrary like some make it out to be, but it is far more arbitrary than the grading in a lot of other academic fields.

BTW this is how i type on my exams. run-on sentences, grammar mistakes, wrong words ... etc.. no regard for the english language.... lol
There is no time to proof read anything.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:03 am

^
I mean how the hell else can you type that much in that period of time after reading long questions and fact patters? You essentially have to be pouring everything that is running through your mind onto the page without thinking.

180orbust

Postby 180orbust » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:26 am

Typing a lot of words in freak out "type type type" mode is counter-productive. You need to be thinking, not typing. Communicate points efficiently. If you start typing and you don't really know what you're saying, then its likely you are wasting time typing out something for which you wont get any points.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:37 am

BruceWayne wrote:This is an excellent point that I was thinking about today--and really it's BS. I don't believe LS grading is completely arbitrary like some make it out to be, but it is far more arbitrary than the grading in a lot of other academic fields.

How I feel about the arbitrariness of law school grading will depend on what my final grades are

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:33 pm

I typed 8000+ words for my 4 hour comparative law final. Kill me.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:38 pm

Doritos wrote:
How I feel about the arbitrariness of law school grading will depend on what my final grades are

QFT

Columbia Law

Postby Columbia Law » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:57 pm

180orbust wrote:Typing a lot of words in freak out "type type type" mode is counter-productive. You need to be thinking, not typing. Communicate points efficiently. If you start typing and you don't really know what you're saying, then its likely you are wasting time typing out something for which you wont get any points.

LOL OK bro. Would you rather have 5 darts to throw at the board or 8? It won't be "counter-productive." Maybe you won't get poinnts for everything you write but definitely not "counter-productive."

Postby 98234872348 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:04 pm

Columbia Law wrote:
180orbust wrote:Typing a lot of words in freak out "type type type" mode is counter-productive. You need to be thinking, not typing. Communicate points efficiently. If you start typing and you don't really know what you're saying, then its likely you are wasting time typing out something for which you wont get any points.

LOL OK bro. Would you rather have 5 darts to throw at the board or 8? It won't be "counter-productive." Maybe you won't get poinnts for everything you write but definitely not "counter-productive."

Does typing more, all things considered, generally give you a better chance at getting a higher grade? Sure.

Is it necessary or sufficient to getting you a better grade? No.

Columbia Law

Postby Columbia Law » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:24 pm

mistergoft wrote:
Columbia Law wrote:

Does typing more, all things considered, generally give you a better chance at getting a higher grade? Sure.

It's NEVER counter-productive to type more. Either you're stupid or you're not.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:26 pm

Sounds like a case of phsycological projection to me... slow typer?

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:28 pm

Columbia Law wrote:

Personally, I'd rather take 5 thought-out focused shots (which numbers do I already have? Which do I need to close on?) than 8 wild shots (some of which I waste by hitting numbers I've already closed on). Also, not only will the 8 shots not be as strategic due to lack of time, but they will no doubt be uglier i.e. completely miss the board / hit numbers on the board that don't help.

IMO though, it depends on professor.

Some professors like analysis.
Some use check lists.

Most are in between.

I don't think there is any one right answer.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:40 pm

Columbia Law wrote:

TITCR

10k words by a dumb as fuck person is going to be dumb as fuck

10k words by a smart person is probably going to be smart

10k smart words > 3k smart words > 10k dumb words > 3k dumb words

Postby 98234872348 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:48 pm

Columbia Law wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
Columbia Law wrote:

You realize that my comment does not contradict the point you just made, right?

I said that it's not necessary or sufficient to write a novel, not that it would be counterproductive to do so.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”