Correlation between how you feel after an exam/grade?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
uvahooo

Correlation between how you feel after an exam/grade?

Postby uvahooo » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:36 am

Is there zero correlation?

ToTransferOrNot

Re: Correlation between how you feel after an exam/grade?

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:01 am

uvahooo wrote:Is there zero correlation?

Inverse correlation.

uvahooo

Postby uvahooo » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:04 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:

Inverse correlation.

seriously?

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:06 am

uvahooo wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:

Inverse correlation.

seriously?

It's The First Law of Law School Exams, man.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:10 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
uvahooo wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:

Inverse correlation.

seriously?

It's The First Law of Law School Exams, man.

--ImageRemoved--

uvahooo

Postby uvahooo » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:13 am

i feel i did well... compared with other people too. I got most of the issues... and spotted more... so i don't know....

ugh. Grades purlease!

solotee

Postby solotee » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:08 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:

Inverse correlation.

What about mixed feelings about an exam?

dougroberts

Postby dougroberts » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:24 am

How you feel after an exam is THE MOST IRRELEVANT thing in the world because 1.) you will be surprised when you get your random law school grade back, and 2.) you can't change it now, so move on.

ChattTNdt

Postby ChattTNdt » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:44 am

--ImageRemoved--

bahahahahaha

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:28 pm

I think it depends on the prof and the exam. If you have a very black letter prof and very black letter exam, you can have a general sense of how you did. Maybe not an exact grade, but you can get a feeling if you used "enough" of the facts that you got most of the issues. If you have a very policy-based prof or your exam is very policy-heavy, then I think it's much more of a wild card. The only exam thus far I haven't had a general sense of how things would shake out was one that was 2/3 policy.

goosey

Postby goosey » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:14 pm

I have no idea but yesterday I felt like it was going well..then I felt like I messed it up once it was over. And today..omg today is awful because I keep thinking about the very obvious things she wanted us to talk about that I totally didn't even think of yesterday, even though I KNEW the info. And this was a take-home, where the pressure was a hundred times less...

I will be lucky to be at median.

I can't believe I messed up SO bad.

And now I am just hoping this is like my last lsat where my score came back way above what I was expecting. Please be high when you grade my paper.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:21 pm

goosey wrote:I have no idea but yesterday I felt like it was going well..then I felt like I messed it up once it was over. And today..omg today is awful because I keep thinking about the very obvious things she wanted us to talk about that I totally didn't even think of yesterday, even though I KNEW the info. And this was a take-home, where the pressure was a hundred times less...

And now I am just hoping this is like my last lsat where my score came back way above what I was expecting. Please be high when you grade my paper.

Goosey, you're almost as neurotic as Elliot from Scrubs.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:37 pm

goosey wrote:I have no idea but yesterday I felt like it was going well..then I felt like I messed it up once it was over. And today..omg today is awful because I keep thinking about the very obvious things she wanted us to talk about that I totally didn't even think of yesterday, even though I KNEW the info. And this was a take-home, where the pressure was a hundred times less...

you're like the NY version of me

goosey

Postby goosey » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:47 pm

uwb09 wrote:

lol @ you and beach_terror.

the one thing that keeps me semi-sane is the fact that even if I don't have an awesome gpa this semester, there is always next semester. I feel like I learned a lot about what needs to be done and what doesnt need to be done. And there is nothing like going through one round of finals to motivate you throughout the next semester.

anyone else start law school not caring much about big law, and after a semester of working hard, are now like "yeah. i want biglaw"

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:51 pm

goosey wrote:anyone else start law school not caring much about big law, and after a semester of working hard, are now like "yeah. i want biglaw"

I don't necessarily want biglaw, I really just want biglaw grades to give me options in what I choose to do.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:07 pm

goosey wrote:
uwb09 wrote:

lol @ you and beach_terror.

the one thing that keeps me semi-sane is the fact that even if I don't have an awesome gpa this semester, there is always next semester. I feel like I learned a lot about what needs to be done and what doesnt need to be done. And there is nothing like going through one round of finals to motivate you throughout the next semester.

anyone else start law school not caring much about big law, and after a semester of working hard, are now like "yeah. i want biglaw"

Haha, this sounds like you goosey. I am actually really interested to see how you do cause it seemed like ever since I joined TLS I have read your posts about one thing or another.

Also, I don't know many people ITE that would not take big law if it was handed to them. I never really wanted Big Law, but if K&L Gates is available as an option I certainly am not turning it down, and neither is anyone else ITE in their right mind.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:11 pm

it's probably correct as far as how much you knew, but that doesn't seem to have much relation to other people since your peers also probably knew their stuff... maybe kind of like the LSAT, first one I took thought I did amazing, second one I took I thought I fucked up big time... same score both times. The first one was relatively easy, and thus relatively easy for everyone. The second was hard, and thus relatively hard for everyone.
Last edited by Borhas on Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:12 pm

This thread needs some cats.

--ImageRemoved--

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:14 pm

beach_terror wrote:I don't necessarily want biglaw, I really just want biglaw grades to give me options in what I choose to do.

+1

But after Torts and based on my CivPro studying, I just don't think it's going to happen. Yay shitlaw/unemployment!

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:14 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Also, I don't know many people ITE that would not take big law if it was handed to them. I never really wanted Big Law, but if K&L Gates is available as an option I certainly am not turning it down, and neither is anyone else ITE in their right mind.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:21 pm

beach_terror wrote:
goosey wrote:anyone else start law school not caring much about big law, and after a semester of working hard, are now like "yeah. i want biglaw"

I don't necessarily want biglaw, I really just want biglaw grades to give me options in what I choose to do.

ditto

I honestly want the grades more so I can have a shot at a federal judicial clerkship, or working in a big city district attorney's office

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:23 pm

goosey wrote:the one thing that keeps me semi-sane is the fact that even if I don't have an awesome gpa this semester, there is always next semester. I feel like I learned a lot about what needs to be done and what doesnt need to be done. And there is nothing like going through one round of finals to motivate you throughout the next semester.

This is the hope.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:33 pm

beach_terror wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:Also, I don't know many people ITE that would not take big law if it was handed to them. I never really wanted Big Law, but if K&L Gates is available as an option I certainly am not turning it down, and neither is anyone else ITE in their right mind.

Not sure what you're facepalming at. Simply put, I dont know many people that would turn down biglaw no matter what their career aspirations are if they actually had biglaw as an option.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:35 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Not sure what you're facepalming at. Simply put, I dont know many people that would turn down biglaw no matter what their career aspirations are if they actually had biglaw as an option.

it's a reasonable thing to say...

PI/Gov't/Small practice whatever, is all nice and good, but job>no job almost all of the time

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:38 pm

Borhas wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:Not sure what you're facepalming at. Simply put, I dont know many people that would turn down biglaw no matter what their career aspirations are if they actually had biglaw as an option.

it's a reasonable thing to say...

PI/Gov't/Small practice whatever, is all nice and good, but job>no job almost all of the time

I completely agree, ITE getting any job that isnt doc review for $12/hr is great. My career services counselor told me I am aiming a bit too high in this economy. All I told him was I wanted a 45K/year ADA job. If THATS aiming too high (especially since he told me this before grades) then we're all screwed.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”