Professors stretching the truth to help set the curve.

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
emorystud2010

Professors stretching the truth to help set the curve.

Postby emorystud2010 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:14 pm

I'm ending this thread.
Last edited by emorystud2010 on Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ogurty

Re: Professors stretching the truth to help set the curve.

Postby ogurty » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:11 pm

Don't worry, you'll learn about conspiracy next semester in Crim.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:48 pm

Saying there won't be multiple choice, and proceeding to put multiple choice on the exam, is incredibly sketchy.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:13 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Saying there won't be multiple choice, and proceeding to put multiple choice on the exam, is incredibly sketchy.

Seriously. That's almost "Report to Dean of Students" sketchy.

Riles246

Postby Riles246 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:06 am

GeePee wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:Saying there won't be multiple choice, and proceeding to put multiple choice on the exam, is incredibly sketchy.

Would you seriously report a teacher to the dean of students because his test wasn't what you were expecting? Or was that sarcasm?

Maybe the teacher just changed his mind while he wrote the exam and decided he didn't want MC. Big deal- that's the benefit of the curve. Harder tests and more surprises are better for students that study more.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:18 am

Everything my property prof said wouldn't "really" make it on to the exam or might be "only a question or two, if at all" ended up on the exam. As I was taking the exam I realized how many times he said that - and then, if you add them all up it makes for one tough fucking exam. (for clarification my property final was about 1/2 essay and 1/2 multiple choice)

Sogui sorta said it best in another thread "professors are bastards."
Last edited by Kobe_Teeth on Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

dood

Postby dood » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:21 am

Last edited by dood on Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:24 am

Riles246 wrote:
GeePee wrote:

Would you seriously report a teacher to the dean of students because his test wasn't what you were expecting? Or was that sarcasm?

Maybe the teacher just changed his mind while he wrote the exam and decided he didn't want MC. Big deal- that's the benefit of the curve. Harder tests and more surprises are better for students that study more.

Explicitly saying (not implying or anything like that) no multiple choice will be on a test then putting it on is def a big deal. I'm not in law school, but this holds true for undergraduate and whatnot too
Last edited by thecilent on Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

soaponarope

Postby soaponarope » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:25 am

My professors didn't tell my class what was going to be on the exam.

So...my strategy was to 1) look at the syllabus and try to gauge what was covered the longest/most important, and 2) talk to as many 2Ls I could find with the same professor as me and pick their brain about the exam (what was on it/how long/what to look out for).

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:31 am

emorystud2010 wrote:Does anybody else think that professors stretch the truth about their exams? So far, my civ pro professor said there would be no multiple choice and that questions would be proportional to the time we spent on them. On his exam, there were 25 MC questions, and half of them were on discovery, which we spent about a day on.

That's weird

My torts professor said the MC would be mainly just to "check" ur knowledge of the law (implying that they would be relatively easy) and that the essays would be the key to the exam. On her exam (the 2 professors were once married btw), the MC were hard as hell and the essays were a breeze.

Okay this is just a "too bad" sorta situation.

I think that professors say that they won't focus on a certain part of an exam just so that they can test on it and have an easier time setting their curve. Any thoughts?

All my exams had pretty much what I though was gonna be on it. Basically the stuff we went over a lot in class.

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:25 am

By the time you're a 2L, you'll realize that almost every prof in law school is full of shit.

The only prof who kept it real 1L year was my crim prof. He was also the only professor who gave clear lectures relevant to the final. Most of the time the majority of the stuff you learn in lecture is completely useless, and the final will be out of left field.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:09 am

Our professors didn't hide anything at all and all told us the exact exam structure in advance. The exams were difficult, but nothing at all was hidden from us. Makes me glad I go to my lawl skool and not some of these other places where profs are sketch :).

evilxs

Postby evilxs » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:44 am

thecilent wrote: I'm not in law school, but this holds true for undergraduate and whatnot too

:roll: I'm sorry, I guess last I checked there weren't forced, mandatory curves in undergrad. The topic of this thread is about the forced curves we have in law school.
Last edited by evilxs on Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:28 am

dood wrote:wat kind of law school do u go to?

TITCQ. I haven't heard of any of this kind of crap at my T14, but I've always wondered it was prevalent at lower schools...

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:33 am

In other section's Civ Pro II class, professor explicitly stated class action wouldn't come up on the exam.

That turned out to be a lie. Complaints ensued.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:35 am

RVP11 wrote:

TITCQ. I haven't heard of any of this kind of crap at my T14, but I've always wondered it was prevalent at lower schools...

I don't go to a T14 and my profs didn't pull this garbage.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:40 am

The only time my prof explicitly said something wasn't gonna be on there it wasn't. 1/1.

schnoodle

Postby schnoodle » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:43 am

want to talk about "stretching the truth?" i was in this op's civ pro class (though i don't know who he/she is), and the prof made no unequivocal statements about ANYTHING. if you were paying attention, you would have heard him say that he was still writing the exam and was kicking around the idea of multiple choice/short answer. our civ pro prof was awesome.

the school is emory. the prof was terrific and any other assessment is just the product of sour grapes. and i have no idea how i did on his exam though i think i did alright. whether i did or didnt, the exam was eminently fair.

edit: removed prof's name.
Last edited by schnoodle on Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:49 am

keg411 wrote:
RVP11 wrote:

Ummm, neither did OP's prof. I'm in his class, and our CP prof just said there probably wouldn't be any MC on the exam, but that he hadn't completely decided yet.

Edit: schnoodle beat me to it
Last edited by forty-two on Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:50 am

keg411 wrote:
RVP11 wrote:

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:51 am

In my prof's defense I didn't feel duped or shorted when I took the exam. The material was covered and the questions asked were fair. However, if a prof says 10 things "might" be on the exam, you may not expect all 10 to make it there. However, I think jsut about everything my prof said "might" be on the exam actually made the exam. The only thing that caught me off guard was that those 10 rather small issues just weren't what I spent a ton of time studying. I had to reach deep into my "mind grapes" to get the answers but, the information was there and I studied it.

Overall lesson, if the prof says "might" - don't take the chance. Sorta common sense though.
Last edited by Kobe_Teeth on Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:53 am

My professors said that we were responsible for "everything read and everything said" on the exam. It did not prevent the pwnage, oh no it did not.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:58 am

Kobe_Teeth wrote:In my prof's defense I didn't feel duped or shorted when I took the exam. The material was covered and the questions asked were fair. However, if a prof says 10 things "might" be on the exam, you may not expect all 10 to make it there. However, I think jsut about everything my prof said "might" be on the exam actually made the exam. The only thing that caught meo ff guard was that those 10 rather small issues just weren't what i spent a ton of time studying over. I had to reach deep into my "mind grapes" to get the answers but, the information was there and i studied it.

Overall lesson, if the prof says "might" - don't take the chance. Sorta common sense though.

Good overall lesson, and good 30 Rock reference.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:30 am

schnoodle wrote:want to talk about "stretching the truth?" i was in this op's civ pro class (though i don't know who he/she is), and the prof made no unequivocal statements about ANYTHING. if you were paying attention, you would have heard him say that he was still writing the exam and was kicking around the idea of multiple choice/short answer. our civ pro prof was awesome.

the school is emory. the prof was terrific and any other assessment is just the product of sour grapes. and i have no idea how i did on his exam though i think i did alright. whether i did or didnt, the exam was eminently fair.

Oh snap!!

emorystud2010

Postby emorystud2010 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:59 am

delBarco wrote:
schnoodle wrote:want to talk about "stretching the truth?" i was in this op's civ pro class (though i don't know who he/she is), and the prof made no unequivocal statements about ANYTHING. if you were paying attention, you would have heard him say that he was still writing the exam and was kicking around the idea of multiple choice/short answer. our civ pro prof was awesome.

Oh snap!!

The MC part about the test wasn't the part I was too big about complaining about in my OP. It was more the "ton of discovery even though we did a day of it" part and the fact that he was a lazy ass who used Freer's test instead of creating his own. He originally said no MC, and then in the next class was like "well maybe 5-10," not 25. I did pay attention. 2 additional things: 1) This isn't bitching bc I thought I got screwed. Luckily, my outline had plenty of discovery stuff just in case and I actually feel that I rocked the exam (although inverse correlation could always apply and I could be under a bridge crying soon). 2) Our teacher wasn't that great, and plenty of ppl agree with me (including 2Ls who warned me about his poor style). Just bc he had a couple jokes and did a song at the end of classes doesn't mean that he was a good teacher. Don't get me wrong, he's a great guy, but most ppl in our class were forced to learn the material from the supplement bc he isn't a good teacher. It's not a personal attack (although using another teacher's exam is pretty lazy), but this is criticism of his teaching style and the fact that he was (at least in my opinion) somewhat misleading about his exam. That's why I won't be taking him for evidence, but maybe a small seminar class where his nice guy/personal touch quality could be effective.

P.S. The contracts professor kept his word and didn't test much on the code, so some of my faith/conspiracy has been restored/weakened for now.

Im ending this thread, although I'm leaving my posts with just the strikes through them for entertainment purposes. Enjoy if u must.
Last edited by emorystud2010 on Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”