Drop out now?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BoSox0407

Drop out now?

Postby BoSox0407 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:11 pm

I'm at a high tier 2 and feel miserable about my 1L fall exams. Studied plenty but just blank out on these exams and type more slowly than everyone else. The one shot for your whole grade just kills me.

Aqualibrium

Re: Drop out now?

Postby Aqualibrium » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:16 pm

BoSox0407 wrote:I'm at a high tier 2 and feel miserable about my 1L fall exams. Studied plenty but just blank out on these exams and type more slowly than everyone else. The one shot for your whole grade just kills me.

Oh lord, don't be a douchebag. Forget about your exams until you have your grades back, then make a decision.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:23 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
BoSox0407 wrote:I'm at a high tier 2 and feel miserable about my 1L fall exams. Studied plenty but just blank out on these exams and type more slowly than everyone else. The one shot for your whole grade just kills me.

Oh lord, don't be a douchebag. Forget about your exams until you have your grades back, then make a decision.

TCR

/thread

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:29 pm

Seriously, suck it up and wait for grades like the rest of us. Nobody feels good about the tests.

Melkaba

Postby Melkaba » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:41 pm

Whoa, we're entering this phase already?

Seriously, wait until the next semester to even start thinking about all that. And if you're dead set on doing it now, consider these factors and only these factors: If your school is more regional, you have a pretty good scholarship, and/or if you're not "BIG LAW OR BUST", you actually have much more leeway in subsequent semesters to clean up or keep going than what most 1Ls would initially think, for better or for worst.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:41 pm

TITCR. You have next semester too. This is like halftime of a basketball game. Make adjustments and dominate the 2nd half. Don't quit right now.

2Serious4Numbers

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:43 pm

thexfactor wrote:TITCR. You have next semester too. This is like halftime of a basketball game. Make adjustments and dominate the 2nd half. Don't quit right now.

i completely agree with this. Dont run away with your tail betwen your legs just yet, atleast wait to see your grades

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:45 pm

thexfactor wrote:TITCR. You have next semester too. This is like halftime of a basketball game. Make adjustments and dominate the 2nd half. Don't quit right now.

What up you're down by 35 points and you have pay $25,000 to play to the second half?

schmohawk

Postby schmohawk » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:18 pm

I was worried after my Contracts final because I was thinking other things I wanted to throw in there but ran out of time, even though I know I answered the question pretty well. That night I dreamed about getting my grades back and the Professor wrote "180. Win" on the front page. Proof that I lurk at an entirely unhealthy rate on TLS. My point is, get off this site until you get your grades back if you're that anxious. Your thoughts and dreams will just give you mixed signals.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:40 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:

What up you're down by 35 points and you have pay $25,000 to play to the second half?

Time to bring in the ringer.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:59 pm

drop out. you obviously don't have the mental stamina to be a lawyer, or even a law student.

savagedm

Postby savagedm » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:01 pm

My favorite team is the Lakers... I have been religiously going to games every chance I could since I can remember. All I say to myself is this: What would Kobe think if one of his fans gave up? (He probably wouldnt care) But I know for a fact that man has snatched victory from the jaws of defeat so many times that us worrying about exam grades is chicken shit by comparison. Stop worrying. Relax. Go get laid.

kopper

Postby kopper » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:02 pm

Thanks for posting I had the same feelings about my performance on my exams (1 more to go) so I feel better knowing I am not alone. I decided to channel the energy I would have spent beating myself up to prepare smarter/better for my last exam. Use it as a learning experience to prepare smarter/better next semester. Don't use poor performance as an excuse rather use it to motivate top performance next semester. Commit and execute. This will not guarantee success but if you don't try you will certainly not achieve anything.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:37 pm

Did you ever really want to be a lawyer or was this entirely "I'm going to be big pimpin' comin' from my high t2 NYC 2 190 BABY!?"

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:45 pm

I feel absolutely horrible about the finals I just took guys. Should I drop out? For serious.

Also: OP, if you're at a T2, yo're paying full tuition (and going in to deep debt,) and the grades you get back put you out of contention, then I would give serious thought to calling it a day. Sticking around for another $25k doesn't necessarily make sense under all circumstances (say, you're slack at the bottom). Otherwise, put your year in, go through the 2L job search, and bail while you still have time to get a refund on your 2L tuition, if it comes to that.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:10 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:I feel absolutely horrible about the finals I just took guys. Should I drop out? For serious.

Also: OP, if you're at a T2, yo're paying full tuition (and going in to deep debt,) and the grades you get back put you out of contention, then I would give serious thought to calling it a day. Sticking around for another $25k doesn't necessarily make sense under all circumstances (say, you're slack at the bottom). Otherwise, put your year in, go through the 2L job search, and bail while you still have time to get a refund on your 2L tuition, if it comes to that.

jaja nice try to be a flame....

Id say you should wait to see your grades. If they are bottom 1/3 or so then you should consider dropping out. Anything else, work to make proper adjustments for next year. First semester I was top 1/3. Second semester I was top 5% or so. Things do change. Generally most schools weigh 2nd semester of your first year a lot more than your first semester.

Regroup during break.

bostlaw

Postby bostlaw » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:15 pm

3x daily over christmas break untill you can get up to 150 crabby patties at the Mr. Crabs level. Then youll be set.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:16 pm

btw on a 3 hr exam today. I typed 7100 words. That should be a record!

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:38 pm

thexfactor wrote:btw on a 3 hr exam today. I typed 7100 words. That should be a record!

"Most words typed on a C+ paper?"

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:39 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
thexfactor wrote:btw on a 3 hr exam today. I typed 7100 words. That should be a record!

"Most words typed on a C+ paper?"

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh

snap

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:41 pm

bostlaw wrote:

3x daily over christmas break untill you can get up to 150 crabby patties at the Mr. Crabs level. Then youll be set.

hahah i lol'd.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:56 pm

Nice dood, but I did ~7900 on torts last year (not sure if the A resulted from the quality of my legal analysis/mastery of the material or because the professor stopped reading halfway though out of fear that numerous typos and/or run-on sentences would put him/her at risk of a stroke). Unfortunately, I barely managed about 6k words on my Con Law II exam today. I got tied up in a policy argument about the comparative advantages and disadvantages of neutrality theory and strict separationism and each theory's resultant impact on constitutional scrutiny in modern SCOTUS jurisprudence which took up far too much time...lol duh what an idiot!

I guess, like OP, I should probably just drop out too.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:53 pm

schmohawk wrote:I was worried after my Contracts final because I was thinking other things I wanted to throw in there but ran out of time, even though I know I answered the question pretty well. That night I dreamed about getting my grades back and the Professor wrote "180. Win" on the front page. Proof that I lurk at an entirely unhealthy rate on TLS. My point is, get off this site until you get your grades back if you're that anxious. Your thoughts and dreams will just give you mixed signals.

180. Win.

BoSox0407

Postby BoSox0407 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:25 pm

How poorly on these exams should i do before i consider leaving? im honestly more important in public policy/politics than practicing law. I know a JD is helpful but for 125K more??

bostlaw

Postby bostlaw » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:50 pm

BoSox0407 wrote:How poorly on these exams should i do before i consider leaving? im honestly more important in public policy/politics than practicing law. I know a JD is helpful but for 125K more??

why are you just now thinking of this? did your parents make you go to LS or something?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”