Looking for a checklist for civ pro exam Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
evilxs

Bronze

Looking for a checklist for civ pro exam

Post by evilxs » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:32 pm

If anyone has created a checklist for issue spotting, I would much appreciate it.

Just trying to fill in my list of things to watch for on my closed note exam.

GoodToBeTheKing

Bronze

Re: Looking for a checklist for civ pro exam

Post by GoodToBeTheKing » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:33 pm

evilxs wrote:If anyone has created a checklist for issue spotting, I would much appreciate it.

Just trying to fill in my list of things to watch for on my closed note exam.

what is the point of a checklist if it is closed note?

Charles Barkley

Bronze

Post by Charles Barkley » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:36 pm

He could memorize the check list?

GoodToBeTheKing

Bronze

Post by GoodToBeTheKing » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:39 pm

Charles Barkley wrote:He could memorize the check list?

he should just memorize the rules and i think he will do fine. the rules, statutes and holdings are pretty much your checklist

evilxs

Bronze

Post by evilxs » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:22 pm

It is never a bad thing to stop and compare. I have memorized my outline and the rules. Contracts is the only exam we got to bring an outline into.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gregw8705

New

Post by gregw8705 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:13 pm

I don't know when OP's exam was, but asking for a checklist without regard for who, what, when, why, or how it was prepared makes me think he posted that the night before the exam.

For those of you reading this in the future who might find a checklist approach to Civ Pro helpful, get a copy of "Acing Civil Procedure" by A. Benjamin Spencer. I took one semester of Civ Pro with him last spring (it was a two semester course here and I had a different professor first semester), and he's a great teacher. Even better, he can also write a decent supplement. I had actually used some of the discussion and checklists from "Acing" during my previous semester of Civil Procedure, and it was helpful in that class as well.

I'd recommend a checklist approach to anyone struggling or looking to improve in their Civil Procedure class. Most of CivPro, in my opinion, is very conducive to a step-by-step checklist approach (particularly jurisdiction and the FRCP material). The only area where I don't necessarily like Spencer's checklist approach in "Acing" is on the Erie doctrine. My first semester CP teacher approached it slightly less rigidly and conceptualized it in a less cut-and-dry way, but every professor is different.

Main point: Consider A. Benjamin Spencer's "Acing Civil Procedure" if a checklist style of studying or exam analysis is something that might work for you.
Secondary point: Read his book, but avoid his class. Great teacher, but if you're at W&L (or anywhere else he might end up, because he would be worthy of a spot on a T14 faculty in the near future) don't say I didn't warn you after you finish his exam. He requires it to be handwritten and it makes all the other exams I thought were insanely hard, closed-book "racehorse" exams look like 72-hour take-home, open-book, open-note joyrides.

evilxs

Bronze

Post by evilxs » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:01 pm

lmao, well it certainly wasn't the night before the exam. It was the Friday before a Tuesday Exam.

And I blew that exam out of the water, as in I am a contender for booking the exam.

I asked for lists without regard to ANYTHING on purpose. My professor had an issue list over 230 items long and I wanted to add ANYTHING ANYONE else had that I might have been missing from my checklist.

I found a memorized checklist was the way to go for me. I was able to hit everything and know I didn't forget a thing.

You should maybe post and ask the op what they were thinking or looking for before assuming. I wouldn't recommend that book by the way. Or, at least in my case I didn't get as much help from it. The one that led me to acing my exam was the Glannon guide to civil procedure. It was AMAZING. Nothing short of that.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:55 pm

gregw8705 wrote:I don't know when OP's exam was, but asking for a checklist without regard for who, what, when, why, or how it was prepared makes me think he posted that the night before the exam.

For those of you reading this in the future who might find a checklist approach to Civ Pro helpful, get a copy of "Acing Civil Procedure" by A. Benjamin Spencer. I took one semester of Civ Pro with him last spring (it was a two semester course here and I had a different professor first semester), and he's a great teacher. Even better, he can also write a decent supplement. I had actually used some of the discussion and checklists from "Acing" during my previous semester of Civil Procedure, and it was helpful in that class as well.

I'd recommend a checklist approach to anyone struggling or looking to improve in their Civil Procedure class. Most of CivPro, in my opinion, is very conducive to a step-by-step checklist approach (particularly jurisdiction and the FRCP material). The only area where I don't necessarily like Spencer's checklist approach in "Acing" is on the Erie doctrine. My first semester CP teacher approached it slightly less rigidly and conceptualized it in a less cut-and-dry way, but every professor is different.

Main point: Consider A. Benjamin Spencer's "Acing Civil Procedure" if a checklist style of studying or exam analysis is something that might work for you.
Secondary point: Read his book, but avoid his class. Great teacher, but if you're at W&L (or anywhere else he might end up, because he would be worthy of a spot on a T14 faculty in the near future) don't say I didn't warn you after you finish his exam. He requires it to be handwritten and it makes all the other exams I thought were insanely hard, closed-book "racehorse" exams look like 72-hour take-home, open-book, open-note joyrides.
TL;DR

Kage3212

Bronze

Post by Kage3212 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:48 pm

Strong bump. I checked our library and we don't have this book. Would anyone that typed up this checklist be willing to share it? Your kindness will be sincerely appreciated.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”