How to get over a brutal final

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
desperate4lawschool
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:28 pm

How to get over a brutal final

Postby desperate4lawschool » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:11 am

How do you get over a brutal final? I am naturally slow, but out of 76 questions, I literally guess on at least 15. I've studied an entire week for it, outlining, doing everything I thought would prepare me, and I think that's what kills me....working hard and still failing, sigh :cry:

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19653
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: How to get over a brutal final

Postby dailygrind » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:15 am

bourbon.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: How to get over a brutal final

Postby sundance95 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:16 am

dailygrind wrote:bourbon.


Haha, I literally came prepared to post a photo of a bottle of Jim Beam.

Baylan
Posts: 356
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: How to get over a brutal final

Postby Baylan » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:21 am

Image

Because of the possibility of sleeping in this:

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
BriaTharen
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: How to get over a brutal final

Postby BriaTharen » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:55 pm

Have yourself a good cry if necessary, drink a glass of wine, and then hit the books for the next one.

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: How to get over a brutal final

Postby nealric » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:06 pm

Don't worry too much. One of the finals I thought I had done terribly on 1L year ended up begin an A-.

User avatar
uwb09
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:09 am

Re: How to get over a brutal final

Postby uwb09 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:11 pm

desperate4lawschool wrote:How do you get over a brutal final? I am naturally slow, but out of 76 questions, I literally guess on at least 15. I've studied an entire week for it, outlining, doing everything I thought would prepare me, and I think that's what kills me....working hard and still failing, sigh :cry:

I know how you feel man, but you can't let it drag you down, gotta keep moving forward

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM1RChZk1EU

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: How to get over a brutal final

Postby kalvano » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:18 pm

nealric wrote:Don't worry too much. One of the finals I thought I had done terribly on 1L year ended up begin an A-.


I hate hearing that. I've taken enough tests in my life to know when I did well and when I completely boned it.

Of course, I will send you an apology if I make a "B" or better on my property test.

User avatar
FlightoftheEarls
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: How to get over a brutal final

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:25 pm

kalvano wrote:
nealric wrote:Don't worry too much. One of the finals I thought I had done terribly on 1L year ended up begin an A-.


I hate hearing that. I've taken enough tests in my life to know when I did well and when I completely boned it.

Of course, I will send you an apology if I make a "B" or better on my property test.

Maybe, but I doubt you've had anything quite like these. Everything comes down to the curve, so your thoughts on how you did or did not do may be, and frequently are, completely irrelevant. Our school had a Ks professor last year who gave like a 35-part MC question test, and the median number of correct answers was something like 7. If you get 9, you're doing damn well even though you're convinced you've failed. It's all relative.

OP: Watch a movie for 2 hours, shake it off, and forget about it. Nothing will change, except that the more time you spend tripping over this exam is the more time you spend not focusing on your next exams. Take that little break, take a deep breath, and keep pushing. It'll be over before you realize it.
Last edited by FlightoftheEarls on Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: How to get over a brutal final

Postby nealric » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:49 pm

I hate hearing that. I've taken enough tests in my life to know when I did well and when I completely boned it.


I thought the same thing after that one. Law school exams are strange.

User avatar
emorystud2010
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: How to get over a brutal final

Postby emorystud2010 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:52 pm

If possible, a blumkin will always make life better.

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: How to get over a brutal final

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:23 pm

The First Law Of Law School Exams

Grades on law school exams are inversely related to how you feel you did on said exam.

User avatar
XxSpyKEx
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: How to get over a brutal final

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:16 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:The First Law Of Law School Exams

Grades on law school exams are inversely related to how you feel you did on said exam.


TCR.

If you think you did great, you probably did terrible. If you walk out thinking you failed and are desperately hoping for some kind of a C, you probably had the highest grade in the class. This is all a direct consequence of the grade curve.

In other words, OP, go celebrate because you probably got an A+ on that exam.

User avatar
chicagolaw2013
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: How to get over a brutal final

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:50 pm

Tequila shots.

Duh.

LSHPFL10
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 10:12 am

Re: How to get over a brutal final

Postby LSHPFL10 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:57 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:The First Law Of Law School Exams

Grades on law school exams are inversely related to how you feel you did on said exam.


TCR.

If you think you did great, you probably did terrible. If you walk out thinking you failed and are desperately hoping for some kind of a C, you probably had the highest grade in the class. This is all a direct consequence of the grade curve.

In other words, OP, go celebrate because you probably got an A+ on that exam.


Is this the case because everyone else also feels bad about how they performed, but your "bad" was just better relative to their "bad"?

I've heard plenty of times that how you did is inversely related to how you actually do, but I have always been confused on the reason for this relationship.

Anyone care to elaborate? Or is it an as-yet unexplained phenomenon?

User avatar
FlightoftheEarls
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: How to get over a brutal final

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:03 pm

LSHPFL10 wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:The First Law Of Law School Exams

Grades on law school exams are inversely related to how you feel you did on said exam.


TCR.

If you think you did great, you probably did terrible. If you walk out thinking you failed and are desperately hoping for some kind of a C, you probably had the highest grade in the class. This is all a direct consequence of the grade curve.

In other words, OP, go celebrate because you probably got an A+ on that exam.


Is this the case because everyone else also feels bad about how they performed, but your "bad" was just better relative to their "bad"?

I've heard plenty of times that how you did is inversely related to how you actually do, but I have always been confused on the reason for this relationship.

Anyone care to elaborate? Or is it an as-yet unexplained phenomenon?

The general theory is that most professors put far more issues into an exam (specifically, issue spotter questions) than any one person can spot and address in the allotted time. If you leave distraught and feeling like you had a ton of stuff you didn't get to, you probably spotted a fair number of the smaller issues. If you leave feeling like you just dominated the exam, you've probably missed a fair number of points.

User avatar
seespotrun
Posts: 2395
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:36 am

Re: How to get over a brutal final

Postby seespotrun » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:27 pm

kalvano wrote:
nealric wrote:Don't worry too much. One of the finals I thought I had done terribly on 1L year ended up begin an A-.


I hate hearing that. I've taken enough tests in my life to know when I did well and when I completely boned it.

Of course, I will send you an apology if I make a "B" or better on my property test.


Law school is different - the curve settles all. My 1L Civ Pro exam was half multiple choice, half essay. I got 15 out of 20 MC correct - 75%. Getting a 75 in UG sucks. Apparently, my 15 out of 20 is tied for #1 in his exam hall of fame. He's been teaching Civ Pro here since 1974. I'm tied with two other people.

Although I've certainly capitalized on this opportunity to shamelessly brag, the point is that law school exams are not meant to be "aced." Law school exams are like being stuck in the woods with your classmates and a few hungry Grizzly bears. You don't have to be faster than the bears; in fact, you can't - they run close to 30mph at top speeds - you just have to outrun your classmates.

random5483
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: How to get over a brutal final

Postby random5483 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:37 pm

As mentioned above, guessing on 15 questions out of 76 won't kill your grade. In fact, if you got 61 questions right and a few of those 15 guesses right you might just get the high score on the exam.


None of my exams had a lot of multiple choice (one essay only, 2 were 80% essays, and one was 50/50 split). But in the class with the 50/50 split, in the profs 10-15 years of teaching, no one has had a perfect score. The average high score each year is like 80%.

User avatar
Mroberts3
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:10 pm

Re: How to get over a brutal final

Postby Mroberts3 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:56 pm

LSHPFL10 wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:The First Law Of Law School Exams

Grades on law school exams are inversely related to how you feel you did on said exam.


TCR.

If you think you did great, you probably did terrible. If you walk out thinking you failed and are desperately hoping for some kind of a C, you probably had the highest grade in the class. This is all a direct consequence of the grade curve.

In other words, OP, go celebrate because you probably got an A+ on that exam.


Is this the case because everyone else also feels bad about how they performed, but your "bad" was just better relative to their "bad"?

I've heard plenty of times that how you did is inversely related to how you actually do, but I have always been confused on the reason for this relationship.

Anyone care to elaborate? Or is it an as-yet unexplained phenomenon?


As a 1L I have no experience with this, however, I suspect its a product of selective memory. Its the same reason poker players have "lucky hands" like Jack-4 off suit and hate AA because "they always lose."

When you feel you did well and you do, you forget about it. If someone asks about the exam you say "thankfully i did well." If you think you bombed and get an A- and someone asks you say "wow, I thought I failed but somehow i did well." Your brain is literally doing a double take and so you remember it very clearly and the rest gets lost.

The 2nd explanation that combines with the 1st is the curve. If you thought it was easy, then maybe others did too and all of a sudden a test you rocked nets you a B. Not bad, but certainly not what you expected. Again, you remember it because it didn't conform to expectations.

Anyway, I'm highly suspicious of the correlation people claim is going on here. I don't know how to feel about the 2 tests I've taken so far, but if I had to choose good or bad I'd say good because I knew what the issues were and applied law to fact as much as I could. I wouldn't be totally surprised to be median, though. I'm sure I'll remember it more clearly if I am median or below, however, because I conceptually don't know how I would have done any better.
Last edited by Mroberts3 on Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mroberts3
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:10 pm

Re: How to get over a brutal final

Postby Mroberts3 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:58 pm

seespotrun wrote:
kalvano wrote:
nealric wrote:Don't worry too much. One of the finals I thought I had done terribly on 1L year ended up begin an A-.


I hate hearing that. I've taken enough tests in my life to know when I did well and when I completely boned it.

Of course, I will send you an apology if I make a "B" or better on my property test.


Law school is different - the curve settles all. My 1L Civ Pro exam was half multiple choice, half essay. I got 15 out of 20 MC correct - 75%. Getting a 75 in UG sucks. Apparently, my 15 out of 20 is tied for #1 in his exam hall of fame. He's been teaching Civ Pro here since 1974. I'm tied with two other people.

Although I've certainly capitalized on this opportunity to shamelessly brag, the point is that law school exams are not meant to be "aced." Law school exams are like being stuck in the woods with your classmates and a few hungry Grizzly bears. You don't have to be faster than the bears; in fact, you can't - they run close to 30mph at top speeds - you just have to outrun your classmates.


haha, so doing well on a law exam = living an extra 30 seconds longer than your classmates in pure terror?

sissyclark
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: How to get over a brutal final

Postby sissyclark » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:01 pm

desperate4lawschool wrote:How do you get over a brutal final? I am naturally slow, but out of 76 questions, I literally guess on at least 15. I've studied an entire week for it, outlining, doing everything I thought would prepare me, and I think that's what kills me....working hard and still failing, sigh :cry:


That sucks. But to be fair, studying a week for a final in law school actually isn't very much at all. I know tons of people began outlining a month and a half before exams, and had been taking practice tests several weeks before exams. Sorry if that's not what you need to hear right now, but it might make next semester easier for you to start earlier.

User avatar
theskippa10
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:01 pm

Re: How to get over a brutal final

Postby theskippa10 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:12 pm

Remember the wise words of Lt. Gen Hal Moore: "Three Strikes and you are not out. There is always one more thing you can do."

Remember that, and dominate the rest of them

User avatar
zanda
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:36 am

Re: How to get over a brutal final

Postby zanda » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:33 pm

nealric wrote:
I hate hearing that. I've taken enough tests in my life to know when I did well and when I completely boned it.


I thought the same thing after that one. Law school exams are strange.

lol I also thought that.

best 2 grades from 1L year were the ones I thought went the worst.

User avatar
zanda
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:36 am

Re: How to get over a brutal final

Postby zanda » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:36 pm

Mroberts3 wrote:
LSHPFL10 wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:The First Law Of Law School Exams

Grades on law school exams are inversely related to how you feel you did on said exam.


TCR.

If you think you did great, you probably did terrible. If you walk out thinking you failed and are desperately hoping for some kind of a C, you probably had the highest grade in the class. This is all a direct consequence of the grade curve.

In other words, OP, go celebrate because you probably got an A+ on that exam.


Is this the case because everyone else also feels bad about how they performed, but your "bad" was just better relative to their "bad"?

I've heard plenty of times that how you did is inversely related to how you actually do, but I have always been confused on the reason for this relationship.

Anyone care to elaborate? Or is it an as-yet unexplained phenomenon?


As a 1L I have no experience with this, however, I suspect its a product of selective memory. Its the same reason poker players have "lucky hands" like Jack-4 off suit and hate AA because "they always lose."

When you feel you did well and you do, you forget about it. If someone asks about the exam you say "thankfully i did well." If you think you bombed and get an A- and someone asks you say "wow, I thought I failed but somehow i did well." Your brain is literally doing a double take and so you remember it very clearly and the rest gets lost.


I disagree. There are only what, 6-8 final exams during 1L year? I remember all of mine quite clearly.

User avatar
Mroberts3
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:10 pm

Re: How to get over a brutal final

Postby Mroberts3 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:50 pm

I don't mean the exam itself, I mean the difference between expectations after the exam and the results you get months later. Maybe that's what you meant, but I can guarantee a incongruous exam will stand out more than one that met expectations (either good or bad).




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google Feedfetcher, greengrass and 4 guests