How does everyone feel after their first exam?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
uzpakalis
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:36 pm

How does everyone feel after their first exam?

Postby uzpakalis » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:46 pm

I'm basically flustered. I can't really remember what I wrote, but I felt like I knew what was going on during the test. A few tricky questions here and there, but I felt like I handled them. Now....several hours removed, I'm starting to question myself in a big way.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: How does everyone feel after their first exam?

Postby kalvano » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:47 pm

That there are about 100 issues I missed, but that no one got them all.

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: How does everyone feel after their first exam?

Postby Flanker1067 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:55 pm

I murdered torts. Everyone else in my class probably did too though.

User avatar
SmittenMitten
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:18 pm

Re: How does everyone feel after their first exam?

Postby SmittenMitten » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:01 pm

Feel like vomiting-somewhere torn between thinking I might have done okay and that I should drop out before second semester money disperses/apply for a barista position at the local starbucks.

User avatar
bostonian
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:08 pm

Re: How does everyone feel after their first exam?

Postby bostonian » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:07 pm

Don't talk about exams you've already taken. There's nothing you can do about it now anyway.

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: How does everyone feel after their first exam?

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:11 pm

While I feel decent about the exam I already took, I am
now finding it incredibly difficult to motivate myself to continue studying for my second one, which is Thursday. Seriously, after working so hard last week, I just can't pull myself together today. Anyone else feeling this?

User avatar
SmittenMitten
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:18 pm

Re: How does everyone feel after their first exam?

Postby SmittenMitten » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:18 pm

bostonian wrote:Don't talk about exams you've already taken. There's nothing you can do about it now anyway.



I literally sprinted out of the exam room when everybody began to congregate and I heard sentences like "I put that too! If it would have been ______ then I would have said _______"

No need in letting somebody else destroy my holiday break more so than I will for myself.

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: How does everyone feel after their first exam?

Postby Flanker1067 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:19 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:While I feel decent about the exam I already took, I am
now finding it incredibly difficult to motivate myself to continue studying for my second one, which is Thursday. Seriously, after working so hard last week, I just can't pull myself together today. Anyone else feeling this?


Hell yes, I am moving like I have weeks to prepare for the next one.

User avatar
Gamecubesupreme
Posts: 509
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:54 pm

Re: How does everyone feel after their first exam?

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:42 pm

I am still in a state of disbelief that one quarter of what will ultimately determine my future career as a lawyer is now out of my control.

There's still three quarters left, so I will have to snap out of this state fast.

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: How does everyone feel after their first exam?

Postby moandersen » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:44 pm

I havent taken one yet :?

Our first exam is tomorrow, and Im ready for it now. Im trying to figure out how to be productive and prepare for the test, but Ive memorized the entire outline (closed book), and took all the practice questions available.

I just want the first exam to be here so I can get the ball rolling....

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: How does everyone feel after their first exam?

Postby dakatz » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:47 pm

First one is tomorrow. My study mates and I agreed that we will not speak a single word about the exam. We will meet up right afterward to start going over the material for next week's test and that will be that. There is absolutely nothing good to be gained from speaking about the exam afterward.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: How does everyone feel after their first exam?

Postby Grizz » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:49 pm

Who cares what happened? It's done; nothing I can do about it now.

User avatar
SmittenMitten
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:18 pm

Re: How does everyone feel after their first exam?

Postby SmittenMitten » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:52 pm

dakatz wrote:First one is tomorrow. My study mates and I agreed that we will not speak a single word about the exam. We will meet up right afterward to start going over the material for next week's test and that will be that. There is absolutely nothing good to be gained from speaking about the exam afterward.

Mentor told me this and so far I have refrained from talking to anybody. For some disgusting reason students were shouting out random answers before the exam in some sort of bizarre take on jeopardy, and then afterwards the entire room wanted to sit and talk about the test. I sprinted out without hearing too much.

User avatar
BriaTharen
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: How does everyone feel after their first exam?

Postby BriaTharen » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:59 pm

After taking my 3rd exam yesterday (Torts) and hearing all my section members talking to each other about the exam (something I try not to do because it will only depress me) and my list of issues I missed started growing, I am seriously considering keeping in my earplugs until I leave campus.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: How does everyone feel after their first exam?

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:04 pm

Thought I did fairly well in Civ Pro. Not an A exam but a B+ would be Christmas in that class considering my exam had only 1 question and that question disregarded 95% of what we have learned in class (Yeah, all that Erie, personal jurisdiction, subject matter stuff, that wasn't on there.) I basically wasted my weekend studying for nothing.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: How does everyone feel after their first exam?

Postby dakatz » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:09 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Thought I did fairly well in Civ Pro. Not an A exam but a B+ would be Christmas in that class considering my exam had only 1 question and that question disregarded 95% of what we have learned in class (Yeah, all that Erie, personal jurisdiction, subject matter stuff, that wasn't on there.) I basically wasted my weekend studying for nothing.


Wow, 1 long question that had nothing to do with any sort of PJ, SMJ, or Erie issue? Thats pretty rough. I guess I should be sort of happy that my exam is 5 questions, all based on the same factual situation, but with new facts constituting each question. Since I can essentially break our class down into 5 main segments, I think I can guess what the 5 questions will be on.

User avatar
SeymourShowz
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: How does everyone feel after their first exam?

Postby SeymourShowz » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:28 pm

We got a policy question about the federal rules and I wrote about 1367... I blew it... big time. It's really a shame because I knew that shit cold.. I need another drink

Total Litigator
Posts: 695
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:17 pm

Re: How does everyone feel after their first exam?

Postby Total Litigator » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:29 pm

I misread the question and didn't even get to half the issues. Need I say more?

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: How does everyone feel after their first exam?

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:48 pm

The funny thing is the following formula has always worked for me:

If you think you did bad = You did ok, solid B.
If you think you did ok (B range) = You rocked it and are likely getting an A/A-.
If you think you absolutely rocked it = Get ready for your C+/B- below-median status.

rejectmaster
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:20 pm

Re: How does everyone feel after their first exam?

Postby rejectmaster » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:53 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:The funny thing is the following formula has always worked for me:

If you think you did bad = You did ok, solid B.
If you think you did ok (B range) = You rocked it and are likely getting an A/A-.
If you think you absolutely rocked it = Get ready for your C+/B- below-median status.


agreed

generally when i think i did badly its because i can think of a ton of stuff i should have included.. which means i knew a lot, and probably included a good amount of it but will still rip myself several new buttholes for not getting it all down on paper.

if i think i did awesome (in anything other than science/math stuff) its because i said everything i wanted to say which means i didn't know enough

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: How does everyone feel after their first exam?

Postby zeth006 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:51 pm

rejectmaster wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:The funny thing is the following formula has always worked for me:

If you think you did bad = You did ok, solid B.
If you think you did ok (B range) = You rocked it and are likely getting an A/A-.
If you think you absolutely rocked it = Get ready for your C+/B- below-median status.


agreed

generally when i think i did badly its because i can think of a ton of stuff i should have included.. which means i knew a lot, and probably included a good amount of it but will still rip myself several new buttholes for not getting it all down on paper.

if i think i did awesome (in anything other than science/math stuff) its because i said everything i wanted to say which means i didn't know enough


I'm in between the first and second. I know I spotted almost all the issues as I typed decently fast, but I felt my analysis lacked the depth that many of the past students' exams had.

User avatar
Pretzel_Logic
Posts: 7797
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: How does everyone feel after their first exam?

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:23 pm

I feel pretty good about my essays, but the multiple choice was a big fat meh. I fully anticipate a basically flat curve, and I'm

a) SO EXCITED to be done with torts
b) ready to rock on these last few.

I really hope your formula is true, Barbell. haha.

User avatar
Cosmo Kramer
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:11 am

Re: How does everyone feel after their first exam?

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:26 pm

It's finals week?

User avatar
jp0094
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:21 pm

Re: How does everyone feel after their first exam?

Postby jp0094 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:36 pm

As a 2L, I happened to be on campus when the 1Ls finished their first exam (K). Overhearing them talk about it all really brought me back (... to one year ago :lol: )

skeptrix
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:43 am

Re: How does everyone feel after their first exam?

Postby skeptrix » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:28 pm

Well, I got home not too long ago from the civ pro final. I didn't really stick around to talk to people afterwards, but the few people I did talk to were either depressed or looked like they lacked total emotion. And then I saw a girl who looked like she was about to cry. I'm feeling just ok right now. I barely answered the last question, but it seems like a lot of people weren't able to get to all the questions either.

But then doesn't it NOT matter how you end up feeling anyway? Because in the end doesn't the curve and how well/poorly other people did really determine your grade...? Or is that wrong? I'm not really familiar yet with how the curve works out...




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: badnewsbears, KissMyAxe, preppingaway and 8 guests